Nvidia rebranding the Geforce 9 rebrands

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
Nvidia rebranding the Geforce 9 rebrands

G100, GT120 and GT130 are the new ones

We?ve learned that Nvidia might once more rebrand its entry level cards. It is getting kind of ridiculous as this has already happened once when Nvidia renamed the 8800-series to 9800 and now they want to do a similar thing at the low-end.

The card that we know as Geforce 9300 based on the G96 will be branded as G100. This reminds me of a Matrox product called G100, a card that came out some 10 years ago and could accelerate Direct 3D, but not OpenGL.

The second rebrand is Geforce 9500 that will be known as Geforce GT120, while the current Geforce 9600 should end up with the Geforce GT130 brand.

So GTX will mean that you got a high end/performance card, GT is reserved for mainstream while G means you got an entry level card. This rebrand should happen sometime in January.

nismotigerwvu

Golden Member
May 13, 2004
I'm a little torn here.
I love the idea of a consistent and logical numbering system.
I'm not exactly for a rebranding scheme that is designed to confuse consumers into buying cards they already have.
Why not just move to this naming convention with the next generation of cards (should be coming pretty much any time now) and let the old cards trot off into the sunset with their current names.

wolf2009

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2008
wth is wrong with Nvidia.

instead of coming up with new technology, they think they can fool average joe into buying the same product again with a new name . Not a very good way to make sales.

They seem to be coming up with more names than technology these days !

nosfe

Aug 8, 2007
and guess how many of those 90% buy video cards (or computer hardware in general) like socks

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Marketing is everything. Most people buying cards don't do any research, they find the card in their price range that has the most memory...

I use the X1600 cards from ATI as an example. People were buying those cards like mad a few years ago and they were basically crap.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: iFX
Marketing is everything. Most people buying cards don't do any research, they find the card in their price range that has the most memory...

I use the X1600 cards from ATI as an example. People were buying those cards like mad a few years ago and they were basically crap.

lulz :)

This reminds me of people buying FX5500 256MB cards. What I also am stunned at, is Wal-Mart carrying FX5200s for YEARS at the great price of $99.99. Good grief.

HannibalX

Diamond Member
May 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Arkaign

This reminds me of people buying FX5500 256MB cards. What I also am stunned at, is Wal-Mart carrying FX5200s for YEARS at the great price of $99.99. Good grief.

Yup. I still see those FX cards at Wall-Mart. Typically there is some nutter standing there looking at the card trying to decide if it's worth the $100. It's worth about $5, lol.

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
Originally posted by: nosfe
and guess how many of those 90% buy video cards (or computer hardware in general) like socks

Sure they like socks. What's not to like about socks? OK, perhaps they get smelly with use, erm... :eek:

Or do you mean in pairs? Buying video cards in pairs for SLI or Crossfire?

myocardia

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2003
Originally posted by: wolf2009
instead of coming up with new technology, they think they can fool average joe into buying the same product again with a new name . Not a very good way to make sales.

Actually, that works very well. The average idiot does zero research before buying anything computer-related, and that seems to go double for video cards. Sad, but true.

Well, technology costs a considerable amount of money to bring to market, while new names are pretty much free.;)

qbfx

Dec 26, 2007
Originally posted by: myocardia

Well, technology costs a considerable amount of money to bring to market, while new names are pretty much free.;)

exactly

wolf2009

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2008

Yup. I still see those FX cards at Wall-Mart. Typically there is some nutter standing there looking at the card trying to decide if it's worth the $100. It's worth about $5, lol.

I wouldn't buy that if they gave me $5

krnmastersgt

Platinum Member
Jan 10, 2008
Originally posted by: betasub
Originally posted by: nosfe

Sure they like socks. What's not to like about socks? OK, perhaps they get smelly with use, erm... :eek:

Or do you mean in pairs? Buying video cards in pairs for SLI or Crossfire?

I think he meant to say that 90% of people will buy the low end cards the same way they would with socks. Just walk in, pick up a nice looking set, buy it and leave. Unless of course you research the socks you buy :confused:

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
nvidia is stupid. once again, screwing over customers. they already screwed over those idiots that bought 9 series cards which were re-badged 8 series.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: LOUISSSSS
nvidia is stupid. once again, screwing over customers. they already screwed over those idiots that bought 9 series cards which were re-badged 8 series.

Hey I like my 9800gtx :p

thegimp03

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2004
I think all the rebadging leads to a lot of confusion, and Nvidia wants it to (the people who had an 8-series card and went to replace it with a 9-series card being a fine example of this).

People are going out to buy the cards and don't read up on what Nvidia is doing (there are probably a lot of them) buy a card that's already been out under a different name. Tricky tricky, Nvidia.

wolf2009

Golden Member
Feb 12, 2008

What are they using the money for that they milked from us when they were on top ?

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
What I also am stunned at, is Wal-Mart carrying FX5200s for YEARS at the great price of $99.99. Good grief.

Big box stores need their margins.

GaiaHunter

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2008

What are they using the money for that they milked from us when they were on top ?

Paying for defective laptop parts? And making chips they expected to sell for twice they selling atm?

edplayer

Platinum Member
Sep 13, 2002

for the jets

Thats how they are gonna get to Washington to stand in line for bailout money