nvidia rebranding begins, partial specs published

piesquared

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2006
http://www.anandtech.com/show/6579/...730m-and-geforce-710m-partial-specs-published

As we discussed yesterday with AMD’s latest round of GPU rebadges, both AMD and NVIDIA are locked into playing the OEM rebadge game in order to fulfill their OEM partner’s calendar driven schedules. OEMs want to do yearly updates (regardless of where the technical product cycle really is), so when the calendar doesn’t line up with the technology this is achieved through rebadges of existing products. In turn these OEMs put pressure on component suppliers to rebadge too, so that when consumers compare the specs of this year’s “new” model to last year’s model the former look newer. The end result is that both AMD and NVIDIA need to play this game or find themselves locked out of the OEM market.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Really wish neither AMD nor nVidia did this, but they have to cater to the OEMs who need to sell stuff with a higher number.

Ibra

Oct 17, 2012
It take seconds for AMD fanboys to start burring AMD's rebranding discussions and star bashing Nvidia.

Lets see:
low-end mobile parts
silent announcement

vs

entire desktop and mobile lineup
CES keynote with fireworks

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
They have been doing this for multiple generations. The mobile parts are the biggest scam in terms of their model numbers. So what? As someone who looks at the benchmarks it makes no difference to me whatsoever if they call it "Uber Super fasestest massivist brilliant card evar!" because I'll still ask if it can play crysis and at what settings.

For joe Bloggs off the street he doesn't know anything about graphics cards but honestly it doesn't matter because he'll be so many generations old that a move to this year/last years card will be a massive improvement. If they inverted the numbers so 8900 was the slowest then I would be annoyed, that would just be a blatant scam but this is just a mild annoyance that is slightly deceptive.

Both AMD and NVidia do it and depending on the generation to a greater or lesser extent. Its bad, its a little bit evil but it also has very little impact on anything. I would just call it silly and pointless rather than actively harmful.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
I think it sucks, but it's what their customers, the OEM builders, want. When you buy a new Brand-X prebuilt and it says AMD HD 8970 it's the OEM that is being deceiving. Just like when they put 4GB of GDDR3 in a low end card, just so they can put 4GB Vram on the spec sheet. AMD/nVidia just supply their customer with what they want.

showb1z

Dec 30, 2010
I don't really see the problem in this.
It's all about the relative performance. As long as the model number stays relevant to the performance in the new product stack, who cares.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
The problem is, most people aren't like us here. They don't go searching for benchmarks to see which OEM system will give them better gaming performance. They just take the word of the OEM's marketing that the system will give them whatever experience.
Thing is, If you see a system that has GPU X5000, and one next to it at X6000, you're going to think the X6000 is faster. Remember, they said the OEMs didn't care which product cycle was in progress or underway. They just needed numbers to show "newer" tech. It is deceiving and there really isn't any reason to do this. I'm against it.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
It's bad when either company does it, but as I mentioned in the other thread, nvidia typically only does it on the very low end (and even then only in mobile). I've never seen the relabeling of an entire product line before from nvidia.

This thread title is entirely misleading. This isn't the "begin" of anything. This is the continuation of a stupid practice that they do with each set of mobile products.

-Slacker-

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2010
It take seconds for AMD fanboys to start burring AMD's rebranding discussions and star bashing Nvidia.

Lets see:
low-end mobile parts
silent announcement

vs

entire desktop and mobile lineup
CES keynote with fireworks

A note to moderators (and I apologize if this constitutes as a member call out):

I've looked at all of this individual's 29 posts since October, and I submit that all of them are either bashful to extremely bashful of AMD and/or praising of nVidia - but mostly extremely bashful of AMD, almost obsessively.

Weather or not it's an appropriate observation that would warrant any sort of action, I am pretty sure that this kind of posting undoubtedly lowers the overall quality of the forum and makes people less inclined to visit.

On topic: I see nothing wrong with rebranding entry level GPUs, especially if they're made on the same manufacturing process as the rest of the series.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
A note to moderators (and I apologize if this constitutes as a member call out):

I've looked at all of this individual's 29 posts since October, and I submit that all of them are either bashful to extremely bashful of AMD and/or praising of nVidia - but mostly extremely bashful of AMD, almost obsessively.

Weather or not it's an appropriate observation that would warrant any sort of action, I am pretty sure that this kind of posting undoubtedly lowers the overall quality of the forum and makes people less inclined to visit.

On topic: I see nothing wrong with rebranding entry level GPUs, especially if they're made on the same manufacturing process as the rest of the series.

LMAO at your selective member call out. What do you think the original poster of this thread is?

-Slacker-

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2010
Article:

OP's title:

You gotta try a little harder OP.

An article can be specifically about something while also mentioning things that are not related directly...

Ferzerp said:
LMAO at your selective member call out. What do you think the original poster of this thread is?

I already dug through 29 posts which, in retrospect, I consider a bit of a waste of time. Now you want me to read another 670 posts?

Last edited:

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
The problem is, most people aren't like us here. They don't go searching for benchmarks to see which OEM system will give them better gaming performance. They just take the word of the OEM's marketing that the system will give them whatever experience.
Thing is, If you see a system that has GPU X5000, and one next to it at X6000, you're going to think the X6000 is faster. Remember, they said the OEMs didn't care which product cycle was in progress or underway. They just needed numbers to show "newer" tech. It is deceiving and there really isn't any reason to do this. I'm against it.

You're saying that like someone is for it...

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011
Really wish neither AMD nor nVidia did this, but they have to cater to the OEMs who need to sell stuff with a higher number.
Why does it matter?
Good. That's what they get.

Don't know how to do an oil change? Pony up for someone else to do it. This is how our society works. If you are willfully ignorant, you deserve to pay a price.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2003
An article can be specifically about something while also mentioning things that are not related directly...

Sure, if you want to cherry pick facts to tell half the story. Now, put it in the context of the eternal AMD v. NV struggle and it becomes pretty clear why one would reference one company engaging in a certain tactic and make no reference to its competitor doing the same thing when it's made perfectly clear in the article.

Apr 17, 2003
Really? Holy hell. You ought to feel embarrassed. It's the actual title of the article.

The OP is such a monster for not inserting his bias into it.

Umm, yeah, I know. I'm saying the article mentioned both companies...that's why I quoted the article.

Apr 17, 2003
If you have a point, please state it.

My point is the articles references both companies are engaged in this practice as where the title does not. The article provides more context into both company's practices.

I'm not saying it wrong to quote the title. All I'm saying is that in this context, it's likely to start a flame ware (since most threads go down that path anyway).

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
"AMD and nvidia both rebrand once again to make OEMs happy" would be a more accurate title.

or even

"Nvidia joins AMD in rebranding frenzy to confuse customers"

The quote OP used does make this clear though.

Last edited:

Homeles

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2011
My point is the articles references both companies are engaged in this practice as where the title does not. The article provides more context into both company's practices.

I'm not saying it wrong to quote the title. All I'm saying is that in this context, it's likely to start a flame ware (since most threads go down that path anyway).
Then go yell at Ryan Smith. You're barking up the wrong tree.
"AMD and nvidia both rebrand once again to make OEMs happy" would be a more accurate title.

or even

"Nvidia joins AMD in rebranding frenzy to confuse customers"

The quote OP used does make this clear though.
Definitely the second one. They already published an article for AMD's rebrands, so it needs to imply that this is a separate event.