News Nvidia re-releases the 1050Ti to "address shortages"

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
The original source is here. They basically say this is a relaunch of the original GTX 1650 (not the later 1650S).

This description is spot-on: "When NVIDIA launched the GTX 1050 Ti in October of 2016, Obama was still president and Samsung’s fire-prone Galaxy Note 7 was the biggest tech news. Now it seems that this relatively ancient GPU is coming back due to an acute shortage of GPUs."

I don't see how this will work - aside from legitimizing an older architecture. The current GPU/CPU shortage is due to low production and transportation delays... it's not as if adding a new batch of orders will somehow clear bottlenecks and magically move enough cards for everyone who wants a entry-level Nvidia card.

Unless the companies were sitting on excess inventories of old stock, suddenly discovered in warehouses?

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
It's an older node, so they likely can simply make as many as they want without affecting current GPU production.

They might as well make anything they can right now, as just about every single card they manufacture will immediately sell as soon as it hits the retailer's warehouse.

Reactions: killster1

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
It's an older node, so they likely can simply make as many as they want without affecting current GPU production.

They might as well make anything they can right now, as just about every single card they manufacture will immediately sell as soon as it hits the retailer's warehouse.

The PC World article says this GPU is less sought for e-mining, so perhaps that's a ray of light (snicker).

Reactions: blckgrffn

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Hey, if it means like a year from now or whenever Ethereum changes to PoW or whatever shakes that up, I can get a 1050ti for less than $50 then it's OK by me.

The 1050ti is fine card for desktops and tons and tons of games. And by "fine" you know what I mean, ie not something I would want to use personally ;)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I've watched GPU inventory off and on since the latest round of mining took off, and most retailers (like Newegg) are down to just a few available cards, with the most "powerful" option being a few GTX 1030 2 GB cards. :p

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
The PC World article says this GPU is less sought for e-mining, so perhaps that's a ray of light (snicker).

My understanding is that 4GB cards currently have insufficient VRAM for mining.

1050ti is probably nvidia's worst price/performance card of that generation, I bet it was profitable so they might make some money bringing it back.

I agree...why not polaris as well?

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

1050ti is probably nvidia's worst price/performance card of that generation, I bet it was profitable so they might make some money bringing it back.

RX 570 4GB and RX 580 4GB would be awesome to see back since they're actually reasonable gaming cards unlike the 1050 Ti.

undertaker101

Banned
Apr 9, 2006
If NV were nice, they would flood the market with $250 2060 or $300 2060S, the price they would regularly go for on evga sales till a couple of months ago. That is a decent enough card for most gaming with some compromises and will take the insane markups out of the picture since many will settle for them. But NV is not a 'nice' company...

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
If NV were nice, they would flood the market with $250 2060 or $300 2060S, the price they would regularly go for on evga sales till a couple of months ago. That is a decent enough card for most gaming with some compromises and will take the insane markups out of the picture since many will settle for them. But NV is not a 'nice' company...

Those are 6GB and 8GB cards that would get snapped up quickly for ether mining. 4GB cards are almost useless for ether mining so that's the only thing that wouldn't become ridiculously expensive.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Another consideration is that the 1050Ti uses GDDR5 RAM, which presumably would be easier to source at this point than GDDR6/x.

If NV REALLY wanted to help us all out, they could rerelease the 1080Ti for $300 :p 470mm2 die size isn't even that large by modern standards, can make truckloads of them!

Mopetar

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2011
Those are 6GB and 8GB cards that would get snapped up quickly for ether mining. 4GB cards are almost useless for ether mining so that's the only thing that wouldn't become ridiculously expensive.

If AMD actually needed to use some additional wafers from Global Foundries for contractual reasons, they could actually do another run of Polaris cards. Even if gamers didn't want to buy them, miners would still snap them right up, even if they sold them at a higher price.

Reactions: AnitaPeterson

KompuKare

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2009
RX 570 4GB and RX 580 4GB would be awesome to see back since they're actually reasonable gaming cards unlike the 1050 Ti.
Or how about a RX 575 - that is a cut-down product based on RX 590 with the 12nm enhancements which were also used for Zen+. A bit better perf/watt is always welcome and a cut-down Polaris 30 clocked a bit below the RX 590 would gain a bit of perf/watt.

As for 4GB, the last time ETH was a thing, 4GB cards were still usable guess that is no longer the case as on whattomine.com they list EthHash for the 4GB cards is 0.

They actually have a 1050Ti preset and it would make a dizzing $1.19 per day before power costs. Think that makes it safe from hoarding miners but then most of the prices miners are paying seem far too risky an investment for me.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Last I checked, 4GB cards can be used for ETH mining, but it is very trick to get them to work. Not sure if they are still viable at all now.
I do think it would be kinda cool to have a rerelease of Polaris and/or Vega on another process, or even Fiji. As mentioned this will take load off of TSMC 7nm and also off of GDDR6 supply. Though I think HBM(2) based cards might be kinda expensive still. Perhaps bring back the Fury? :D IDK how available HBM or HBM2 is now.

NTMBK

Lifer
Nov 14, 2011
Another consideration is that the 1050Ti uses GDDR5 RAM, which presumably would be easier to source at this point than GDDR6/x.

If NV REALLY wanted to help us all out, they could rerelease the 1080Ti for $300 :p 470mm2 die size isn't even that large by modern standards, can make truckloads of them!

The 1080ti is on TSMC 16nm, which is still a popular and widely used process. They may well not be able to get wafers at short notice.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Last I checked, 4GB cards can be used for ETH mining, but it is very trick to get them to work. Not sure if they are still viable at all now.
I do think it would be kinda cool to have a rerelease of Polaris and/or Vega on another process, or even Fiji. As mentioned this will take load off of TSMC 7nm and also off of GDDR6 supply. Though I think HBM(2) based cards might be kinda expensive still. Perhaps bring back the Fury? :D IDK how available HBM or HBM2 is now.

Nicehash's profitability calculator drops off pretty significantly with RX 570 4GB vs RX 570 8GB. Says 89 cents a day for the 4GB vs $3.07 a day with the 8GB 570 with 10 cent per kwh electricity.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
The 1080ti is on TSMC 16nm, which is still a popular and widely used process. They may well not be able to get wafers at short notice.

Article says a person got a brand new 1080 Ti from an RMA request and says it's manufactured in 2021. So they are still making them.

maddogmcgee

Apr 20, 2015

Well, used 580's are going for about $500.....so that means they should be able to sell them new for 600 or so?

• Wow

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Well, used 580's are going for about $500.....so that means they should be able to sell them new for 600 or so?

Well, I was talking about the 4GB versions which still go for $200-250. (That goes up every time I look though! The point being if you give them enough vram for mining their price balloons drastically. As mentioned the point is to release something that doesn't really work for mining to try and keep the gaming market from dying, even if it has to live on 1080p life support.

Reactions: maddogmcgee