Nvidia Optimus

saketh321

Mar 14, 2011
I have a Qosmio F60-00M that i bought a few months ago. I have been doing some reading about my battery life recently since i get maybe about 1.5 hrs out it and came across the Optimus technology. I have a i5 430m for processor in mine, which from what i read has its own integrated graphics card. I have tried to look for drivers for mine that supports the technology but couldnt find any.

Are any of familiar with this? And anyway to make that work with this laptop of mine?

alaricljs

Golden Member
May 11, 2005
If what you are looking for wasn't advertised by Toshiba as being part of your laptop then you're not going to find it. If it was advertised by Toshiba then it came as part of the OS build from them and you can download it from them otherwise.

Long story short, that laptop doesn't have it.

saketh321

Mar 14, 2011
If what you are looking for wasn't advertised by Toshiba as being part of your laptop then you're not going to find it. If it was advertised by Toshiba then it came as part of the OS build from them and you can download it from them otherwise.

Long story short, that laptop doesn't have it.

yep i know it doesnt have it... but if i am not wrong, Optimus is just a software enhancement unlike the older hybrid switching technology... so technically why cant we enable it on every laptop with a i5 processor and such?

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Optimus is both hardware and software, not just a software enhancement. It is the latest generation of "hybrid switching technology" as you called it for nvidia GPUs (I am pretty sure they have a different name for it).
So if you have an nvidia discreed GPU AND an intel IGP AND the nvidia GPU has the optimus hardware... then you can get the software which will allow the nvidia discreet GPU to be turned on and off (as in cut the power to it) on automatically (by detecting applications) and give you superior performance AND superior battery.

read this article if you are interested to know more: http://www.anandtech.com/show/2934/nvidia-optimus-truly-seamless-switchable-graphics-and-asus-ul50vf

Last edited: