Nvidia officially green lights custom designed Titan boards

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Source: http://translate.google.no/translat...ront-ljus-for-skraddarsydda-geforce-gtx-titan

(Sweclockers)

Shortly after the launch of the reference design will partner manufacturers allowed to produce their own versions of the Geforce GTX Titan.

Just over a week ago Nvidia released the monster model Geforce GTX Titan and in connection with this partner manufacturers launched a flurry of new graphics circuit GK110. Nvidia is however hard the reins and do not allow any excesses from the reference design, so graphics cards are virtually identical, regardless of the brand on the box.

The Nvidia-exclusive manufacturer EVGA got permission to jump the gun with overclocked and watercooled GeForce GTX Titan, but now gives all Nvidia partners manufacturers the green light for customized graphics cards based on GK110. The proviso is that the new designs must undergo a certification process, which is normal in these circumstances.

More Geforce GTX Titan with frightened clock frequencies, specially designed cooler and not the least expensive boards can thus emerge in the coming months.

And the best custom version - MSI Lightning Titan possibly coming based on Twin Frozr V:

The new iteration of the TwinFrozr cooling solution will be kept in red and black color scheme, which will contrast with the yellow Lightning and Blue Hawk/Power Editions. Despite the picture being so small, we can see it’s just a cooler, with no card in the back. Meaning it’s unclear (for now), if the PCB will be modified too. However it would be strange if not. What we can expect from this card are quite possibly Military Class III components, more VRM phases, increased power limit and obviously higher clocks.

http://videocardz.com/39939/msi-pre...ring-geforce-gtx-titan-with-twinfrozr-cooling

Thank goodness I didn't opt for the voltage gimped and throttling reference version. A lightning Titan would be pretty glorious and without any reference restrictions.

Last edited:

Final8ty

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2007
There should not be any voltage gimped version at that level and price, period, but at least there is now an option.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
Nice. You folks that are waiting to get a Titan are going to get some awesome cards once the non-reference is available.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Yes! Lets dump all that heat inside the case and good luck with SLI.

wand3r3r

Diamond Member
May 16, 2008
I can't wait to see the comparison with the twin frozr to the reference cooler! It still sounds like it won't be voltage unlocked though?

This will be good for single cards though, it will hopefully be cooler (provided you have a decent case).

Last edited:

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005

Yep. I'll stick with my reference cards, but those that want to run 1 card or have a windtunnel for a case will be in luck.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011

I've never had a problem with this, actually, even with SLI. And the performance difference the PCB components on the lightning makes it well worthwhile, a lightning on average has a lot more headroom than reference while still being quieter by quite a bit.

With a single card its generally flat out not an issue at all.

Can I see it being an issue in a mini ITX cheese box? Sure. In a good case it's generally not an issue with SLI, and certainly will never matter with a single card.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
It's me or this doesn't mean increased voltage or power limits?

Remains to be seen obviously. If NV does allow this I expect the AIBs to sell them for at least $200 more to allow for the inevitable RMAs from people blowing up their cards.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
@ Imouto, Tviceman

I think if board partners have "free reign" withing certification restrictions, then the limits of course would be raised. Otherwise, we'd have nothing special over existing stock card configurations with the exception of customized coolers.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
This is only worthwhile, IMO, if the custom boards increase the 265 watt TDP limit. Even if only to 275, it would be a welcome addition.

Very true, assuming this story comes to fruition - i'm hoping for a MSI lightning variant with 2x 8 pin connectors and the usual array of excellent Lightning PCB components. Basically, there's no reason for a custom card if there are no special features -- I think nvidia realizes this. A lot of people including myself love custom cards and the benefits they provide over reference.

If this happens (lightning titan), count me in for the purchase of a Titan.:D

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Remains to be seen obviously. If NV does allow this I expect the AIBs to sell them for at least $200 more to allow for the inevitable RMAs from people blowing up their cards.

Just like the lightning 680 and asus DC II 680 cost 200$ more, oh wait they're 30$ more than reference. Blowing up their cards from custom cards. Yeah okay, hyperbole much?

Gimme a break dude. You like reference cards, we get it, that's fine - I respect that. There's no need for this level of exaggeration about blowing up custom cards, get real.

Last edited:

Imouto

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2011
Just like the lightning 680 and asus DC II 680 cost 200$ more, oh wait they're 30$ more than reference. Blowing up their cards from custom cards. Yeah okay, hyperbole much? :rolleyes:

Gimme a break dude. You like reference cards, we get it, that's fine - I respect that. There's no need for this level of exaggeration about blowing up custom cards, get real.

Your GTX 680 is still voltage and power target locked. His point is valid.

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
There is no component in the reference card that is limiting it's turbo , beyond the bios. It's a fine blower cooler. And phases don't magically increase efficiency.
The article speaks of custom reference models, and mentions Evga's models, which are just mildly superclocked.
A open air cooler, might shed heater faster initially. But if you game for a couple hours, the case can start to build heat.

What is the status of being able to edit, Nvidia's bios's and change voltages. Are the bio's encrypted? Is there any Kepler bios editing software, initiative?

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Your GTX 680 is still voltage and power target locked. His point is valid.

Actually, they aren't. They go up to 1.4V and 300% power. MSI lightning 680s.

His point is ridiculous, suggesting that

1) Custom cards with better components cost 200$ more.
2) All custom cards blow up.

Really, I just have to laugh at both of these points.

Last edited:

notty22

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2010
edit: I know you are happy for not owning one.

Thank goodness I didn't opt for the voltage gimped and throttling reference version. A lightning Titan would be pretty glorious and without any reference restrictions.
Over the top much?

Last edited:

Imouto

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2011
Yours is a GTX 680 that NV claimed to be locked again like the EVGA version.

blackened23

Diamond Member
Jul 26, 2011
Yours is a GTX 680 that NV claimed to be locked again like the EVGA version.

It is not voltage locked unless you download a new BIOS off of the MSI website. I can still go up 1.4V as measured by DMM.

Any type of changes on the MSI lightning were software only and easily worked around; conversely the EVGA classified cards had a hardware connector requirement. So when the hardware connector was removed, it was indeed locked. That isn't the case on the lightning, The MSI lightning simply requires the proper BIOS which at last check were still shipping with every card. And if not, great, just use the proper BIOS. It's software only, and not hardware related as is the EVGA classified.

By all means, don't let me stop the tirade on all custom cards blowing up. And how custom cards cost 200$ more, and how they all get RMA'ed. Come on -- it's one thing to prefer reference but those statements are just mind blowing.

Last edited:

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
Just like the lightning 680 and asus DC II 680 cost 200$ more, oh wait they're 30$ more than reference. Blowing up their cards from custom cards. Yeah okay, hyperbole much? :rolleyes:

Actually I love custom cards. You took everything I said the wrong way. I just think because the card is so expensive to start with $200 isn't a reach. Take a look at the EVGA SC Signature. It's already $70 more than a regular Titan.

I believe Kepler might be a bit sensitive to voltage because of the limits NV is putting on it right now and the AIBs are going to want to make sure they don't lose too much on RMAs should they occur.

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
snip

By all means, don't let me stop the tirade on all custom cards blowing up. And how custom cards cost 200$ more, and how they all get RMA'ed. Come on -- it's one thing to prefer reference but the level of exaggeration here is mind blowing. All custom cards costing 200$ more and all blowing up. Gimme a break.

Who said all custom cards would blow up and all custom cards would be RMA'd? I want to read the tirade you're referencing.