Nvidia NV30 not yet taped out

SexyK

Golden Member
Jul 30, 2001
This means that they don't have any silicon yet. They are probably still tuning it in simulators, but there hasn't been an actual chip produced yet.

Kramer

Oct 16, 1999
I can't understand why everyone just sort of assumed Nvidia was planning to release the NV30 this year instead of pumping out a GF4 refresher first. It just doesn't fit with their product cycle, but every time they made an announcement about their 'next product release' it was automatically equated to the NV30 by everyone. I think they may have only just changed that plan now because of how good the 9700 seems to have turned out.

McCarthy

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Has Anand ever done an article explaining the steps of a CPU/GPU build up from sketches on napkins to final silicon, something that would cover what things like taped out mean? Just curious, suggested something like this in the articles forums the other day, but if a primer has been done before I'd like to read it.

Doesn't have to be here, just seems right to ask if it's been done on AT since these are the F-AT. Or would it be ATF's? Hmm, just say AT forums I guess.

--Mc

Adul

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
danny.tangtam.com
on the front page of Hard|OCP

NV30 NOT Taped Out:
Unfortunately for everyone waiting on NVIDIA to roll out the NV30, it looks like you might be waiting a little longer than you thought. While everyone has been lead to believe that the NV30 taped out already back in early June, it was revealed during the latest NVIDIA confrence call that it has not yet taped out. The exact exchange between NVIDIA's CEO and one industry analyst went like this:

"It should be available for holiday season" J. Huang

"Has the NV30 taped out yet?" Analyst

"Historically Nvidia done a good job with tapeouts etc... We're in the process of wrapping it up" J. Huang

"So it has not been taped out yet?" Analyst

"We're in the process of wrapping it up so the answer is not" J. Huang

Now, while this may be taken many ways, we talked with NVIDIA and they again reiterated that they will make their Fall release. Also there is something we have to remember, NVIDIA has historically went 90 - 100 days from tape out to product release with all their cards so they could very well meet their expected release date.

Mavrick007

Diamond Member
Dec 19, 2001
Yep, Adul that's true. I do expect the NV30 to still be coming out around holiday season, but if not it should be around January at the latest. They're still having problems with the .13 micron process like alot of other manufacturers (even ATI and AMD).

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
<nelson>HA HA!!</nelson>

:D

amish

LOL, this coming from someone who was on his knees for a card that still can't outperform an 8500 or Ti4600.

BTW, how's your Par-hack-ia doing??:p

grant2

Golden Member
May 23, 2001

I dunno if you should be teasing Amish you were just as wrong as him!

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: NFS4
<nelson>HA HA!!</nelson>

amish

LOL, this coming from someone who was on his knees for a card that still can't outperform an 8500 or Ti4600.

Don't have one yet. :)

amish

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I thought we expected NV30 around holiday season all along...has something changed here? :confused:

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: NFS4
<nelson>HA HA!!</nelson>

amish

Don't have one yet. :)

amish

i thought you said you pre-ordered?

anyone know when the 9700 is gonna be reviewed?

is there an NDA?

dexvx

Diamond Member
Feb 2, 2000
I ordered a 10 pack for my company from newegg (OEM though), and they came.

Nice cards... I have to say that on a good monitor, it really makes a big difference at high res, even over the very good Fire GL series. My only gripe is that they havent released a 2D only version of the parhelia, or one with stipped down 3d features, if that is at all possible.

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
can't tap out if the only fabs that have .13 production capability are all producing northwoods and thoroughbreds.

i wonder if they'll go an ATi route or if their chip uses even more transistors? 110 million is a fricking huge number (like, 2 P4s)