Nvidia kills GTX285, GTX275, GTX260, abandons the mid and high end market

alyarb

Platinum Member
Jan 25, 2009
his job is recession proof as long as you guys click his links. thank you adblock.

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Even if it weren't just a lck-provoking crap it would only mean one thing: new SKUs are coming - there's no sane person who would take (t)his "pullout" BS seriously. :)

allthatisman

Dec 21, 2008
Stuff like this reminds me of the simpson's episode where homer calls himself mr. X an makes up his own news website... Not even he had the balls to call it "semi-accurate". I just looked at nvidia's stock price...$14.xx and going strong... Amd... Not so much. Btw I wish that wasn't true, about amd that is.

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Originally posted by: allthatisman
Stuff like this reminds me of the simpson's episode where homer calls himself mr. X an makes up his own news website... Not even he had the balls to call it "semi-accurate". I just looked at nvidia's stock price...$14.xx and going strong... Amd... Not so much. Btw I wish that wasn't true, about amd that is.

I bought some AMD shares around the end of July/early August to make a quick buck. I bought at $3.73 and $4.20 when I made my purchases. AMD stock isn't doing that bad in my opinion.

Regarding that article, I really am not sure what to think. I'm willing to bet Nvidia is selling the GTX260/275/285 at about as low of a price as they would want, I doubt they have much room to go lower yet. Maybe they have some 40nm versions coming soon to replace them?

SlowSpyder

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Nice of you guys to post stock market stuff, but really doesn't address the point of the op.

Is nVidia really going to stop competing for a couple of months? Charlie certainly exaggerates, but it looks like he may have been right in the sense that nVidia is effing up big time.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: happy medium
Originally posted by: Stoneburner
http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15831/1/

Another former INQ'er has a less frothy explanation.

Ya know what I think (or hope)? I think it's time for the new Fermi GPU and they are clearing there stock to make room. Wouldn't that be a surprize?

You promised me fermi gpu's in the hands of reviewers by the end of September. So I guess we have went from knowing to hoping? Anyways I agree, much as I hate nVidia - I don't want to pay the price of no competition. Still is hard to imagine the fermi filling the gt260 spot in sales.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: SlowSpyder
Originally posted by: Wreckage
AMD stock isn't doing that bad in my opinion.

http://www.istockanalyst.com/a...icle/articleid/3531730

"In fact, the problem is so acute, three weeks ago, the perennial No. 2 to Intel ended up on a list among the top 20 U.S. corporations with the highest probability of declaring bankruptcy within the next 12 months."

Good luck.

AMD.

Nvidia.

LMFAO

Sorry that was a bodyblow to poor wreckage.

Stoneburner

Diamond Member
May 29, 2003
Originally posted by: ronnn
Nice of you guys to post stock market stuff, but really doesn't address the point of the op.

Is nVidia really going to stop competing for a couple of months? Charlie certainly exaggerates, but it looks like he may have been right in the sense that nVidia is effing up big time.

For Nvidia to stop "competing" they would have to determine that selling the GT2XX's at their current MSRP is financially harmful to them. I don't see how that could happen. PLenty of people buy nvidia products even though ATI is often priced better. Moreover, I don't see why they would want to lose overall marketshare.

in a certain sense though nvidia is not currently competitive because ATI's equivalent products are produced cheaper. Nvidia is in a difficult situation right now but they should be able to get out okay. On the other hand, unlike the FX5800 days, they have to compete with ATI AND INTEL with the same damn product.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: Wreckage
AMD stock isn't doing that bad in my opinion.

http://www.istockanalyst.com/a...icle/articleid/3531730

"In fact, the problem is so acute, three weeks ago, the perennial No. 2 to Intel ended up on a list among the top 20 U.S. corporations with the highest probability of declaring bankruptcy within the next 12 months."

Good luck.

AMD.

Nvidia.

LMFAO

Sorry that was a bodyblow to poor wreckage.

Excluding the cost of stock-based employee compensation, Webster expects Nvidia to earn 20 cents per share in fiscal 2010 and 43 cents per share in fiscal 2011.

Lets not break out the champagne just yet. Is AMD expected to post a profit in the next half decade? If they last that long?

Zinthar

Aug 1, 2006

Yeah, they really are -- their current in-production top card is back to being the 9800GTX+.

I think it's simply a matter that they were losing money already on competing with the ATI 4xxx series, and with the price points that ATI is setting on the 5850 and 5870, they just aren't competitive at any price point above $100 for the time being.

Hopefully the news on GT300 doesn't end up being as dire as they say, but given the huge die sizes they're looking at, I'd say that realistically the high-end market is probably going to end up in ATI's hands for at least another year.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003

Ya know what I think (or hope)? I think it's time for the new Fermi GPU and they are clearing there stock to make room. Wouldn't that be a surprize?

You promised me fermi gpu's in the hands of reviewers by the end of September. So I guess we have went from knowing to hoping? Anyways I agree, much as I hate nVidia - I don't want to pay the price of no competition. Still is hard to imagine the fermi filling the gt260 spot in sales.

No read it again.I meant Oct. I have the page saved. I said you will know how fast gt300 is by the windows 7 launch and be able to buy one by Thanksgiving.

I'll dig up the page.........:thumbsup:

Edit:

Originally posted by: bryanW1995

um, yeah. gt 300 is shipping in late oct/early nov. so in 30-45 days, gt 300 is going to be on newegg. If that is the case, then why didn't nvidia leak some killer benchmarks to rain on ati's parade????? Why aren't they talking this up like there's no tomorrow???? Is it because gt300 sucks, or is it because gt300 is going to be later than you think? Sorry, but jen hsun is a marketing badass, and he's got some great guys working for him. If gt300 were just around the corner and was going to beat up on 5xxx then they would be screaming it at the top of their lungs right now. Sad to say, but we'd better get used to 379/259 for, at BEST, the next few months, and at worst a whole lot longer than that.

I never said Early November. You'll know how fast it is by the Windows 7 launch (late Oct.) and be able to buy one by Black Friday (late Nov.). Better?

-------------------------
Pent 4 3.06 @3.35,(533 bus), Abit ic7, gig ram, 7800gs @ 490-1.4, All running on a Enermax 350 watt psu with a 26 amp 12 v+ rail.

Antec 1200 case (6fans & led lights) with a Biostar m7- Te Motherboard, e5400 @3.6 @1.26v with stock cooler (prime stable @69c) , 4 gigs ddr2 800, 2 hard drives, 20x Pioneer burner, 8800gt @700,1700,1025 with Accelo cooler with 120mm fan. All running on a 535 watt 34 amp 12v+ rail Enermax psu. All purchased on the for sale forums (new & used) for 350$

MODEL3

Jul 22, 2009
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/v...n_the_GPU_Market.html#

A number of recent media publications suggest that ATI and Nvidia have started to reduce supplies of previous-generation high-end offerings, e.g., ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2 or Nvidia GeForce GTX 285, as well as previous-generation 55nm graphics chips in general. Due to short supply of GPUs, graphics board vendors are reportedly even considering to increase pricing of graphics boards in order to fulfill the demand. Some claim that shortages will persist till Q1 2010.

Even though the two designers of graphics chips are streamlining their businesses at the moment, shortage of graphics cards may not be completely their fault. At a recent meeting with financial analysts, Mike Hara, vice president of investor relations at Nvidia, explained that the company?s goal is to have inventory for 30 days of sales, which allows the firm to respond to competitive challenges in a timely manner. ATI?s goal seems to be generally similar: to keep as few chips in stock as possible.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
I thought NV was going to be launching a 45nm DX10.1 gpu soonish to cover the mid-range segment, and Fermi on the high end close to the end of 2009. If this is the case, it makes sense that they would EOL their 55nm GT200 based cards.

edit: either way, I call shens on "Nvidia abandons the high and mid range graphics card market." Even if they create a temporary shortage to raise prices on GT200 based parts, I don't think it signifies a withdrawal from the mid and high end market. If this were true, this would be horrible news for the future of graphics chips.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Originally posted by: nitromullet
I thought NV was going to be launching a 45nm DX10.1 gpu soonish to cover the mid-range segment, and Fermi on the high end close to the end of 2009. If this is the case, it makes sense that they would EOL their 55nm GT200 based cards.

This was my immpression to. I thought low/ mid end 40nm in Oct and Fermi gtx,gt and x2 at the end of November.

Is it possible to shrink a gtx285 to 40nm and give it directx 11?
It would easily compete with the 5850.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003

No read it again.I meant Oct. I have the page saved. I said you will know how fast gt300 is by the windows 7 launch and be able to buy one by Thanksgiving.

I'll dig up the page.........:thumbsup:

Edit:

I read it again and you missed your calling. You could replace fudo or charlie in the rewriting history department. End of the month means the end of the current month. Was written September 23. You were right that nVidia had a release, but wrong about the cards, unless of course they handed out mockups.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
I really did mean end of Oct. and I proved it in my later posts. My bad.

Originally posted by: bryanW1995

um, yeah. gt 300 is shipping in late oct/early nov. so in 30-45 days, gt 300 is going to be on newegg. If that is the case, then why didn't nvidia leak some killer benchmarks to rain on ati's parade????? Why aren't they talking this up like there's no tomorrow???? Is it because gt300 sucks, or is it because gt300 is going to be later than you think? Sorry, but jen hsun is a marketing badass, and he's got some great guys working for him. If gt300 were just around the corner and was going to beat up on 5xxx then they would be screaming it at the top of their lungs right now. Sad to say, but we'd better get used to 379/259 for, at BEST, the next few months, and at worst a whole lot longer than that.

I never said Early November. You'll know how fast it is by the Windows 7 launch (late Oct.) and be able to buy one by Black Friday (late Nov.). Better?

Some more for ya..

Production is not that far away but Nvidia still works heavily to make the November launch possible. We believe that the decision to show a mock up card is definitely a bad idea as now, it looks like Nvidia wanted to deceive journalists and the rest of the world, with a mock up, claiming that this is the real deal.

NDA journalists might see the Geforce GT300 Fermi version in November unless something drastically changes and the availability should be later that month. We do expect big shortage of chips at launch due to high demand. Just remember what happened when G80 and G92 got out.

http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15813/65/