Nvidia HDMI audio issues

kasakka

Mar 16, 2013
So I've got the following:

GTX 660 Ti -> Denon AVR-1610 receiver -> Panasonic ST50. All connected with HDMI.

The picture works always, but HDMI audio is erratic. Audio only works with certain software (Splash Pro w/ bitstream setting, MPC-HC + ffdshow with tweaked audio settings, Netflix) but system sounds or YouTube don't output anything. I have the Denon selected as default audio device in Win7 64-bit and Windows' mixer shows bars jumping next to the device but the volume is stuck at 0% and can't be altered. The working programs set the Windows device volume to 100%.

Can anyone help me fix this so I could get HDMI audio from any source and wouldn't have to get a loooong optical cable just for that.

zebrax2

Nov 18, 2007
Have you tried disabling all the other playback devices except for the nvidia hdmi in the sound settings on windows?

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
Update your drivers. I also get this sometimes on my laptop where the HDMI will output video but the audio still comes through the laptop speakers. Usually a quick restart fixes it.

kasakka

Mar 16, 2013
Update your drivers. I also get this sometimes on my laptop where the HDMI will output video but the audio still comes through the laptop speakers. Usually a quick restart fixes it.

I've got the latest drivers and restarting doesn't help. Like I said, audio works with certain programs that specifically support bitstreaming but otherwise it's a no-go.

Disabling playback devices doesn't help.

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
I've got the latest drivers and restarting doesn't help. Like I said, audio works with certain programs that specifically support bitstreaming but otherwise it's a no-go.

Disabling playback devices doesn't help.

Sounds like a configuration issue then, like you're trying to force bitstreaming even for things that dont support it and getting nothing instead. I don't know enough about bitstreaming to be more help, sorry :/

Destiny

Platinum Member
Jul 6, 2010
Try a different HDMI cable... you would be surprised how many HDMI brands claim their cables are 1.4 but are really not - you won't know till you get a 3D TV or try to bit stream HD Audio (7.1 Channels)

kasakka

Mar 16, 2013
I think what should happen is regular ol' LPCM being streamed via HDMI but for some reason it just doesn't work right. DTS etc "HD" formats seem to be ok but you can't choose to output those with YouTube etc unfortunately.

Alamat

Apr 30, 2003
I also had the same problem a while back as I was using a Sony 5.1 reciever to run audio and pass through HDMI. I just did what Zebrax said, deleted all other audio deveices and left the "SonyAVM" in there. I guess the PC has no choice now but to choose what's left. Before, with Realtek and Nvidia devices in there, it would switch to one or the other but not usually the Sony one. Only gripe I have about this set-up though is I don't usually have "continuous" audio output. I loaded up a Speech/language program, and the audio was not coming in until a few seconds after the output. NO problems with movies, music or games though.