Nvidia GTX Graphics Cards vs. Quadro in Laptops for Editing

ElectroPulse

Jun 13, 2012
Hello, all!

My dad does video editing for a home business. He is wanting to get a laptop that will allow him to edit videos while on the go, and we have both been reading up on the subject.

Anyway, one thing we haven't been able to come up with is a definitive answer on what type of graphics card he should get. We are thinking probably an Nvidia card, since it seems that it is generally more well supported by Adobe (I haven't seen that specifically stated anywhere, but the lists of requirements for things (such as the Mercury Playback Engine... still not 100% on what that is) generally are primarily Nvidia).

Anyway, we are trying to figure out whether the standard mobile GTX line (perhaps the GTX 680 for its NVENC h.264 encoder) or the mobile Quadro line would be better for video editing/rendering/compressing/encoding/photo editing/whatever else (perhaps even some gaming on vacations or something).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
The Quadro range of cards used to be about 3D rendering, they had specific functions turned on that only a 3D designer would care about. They are the same GPUs but with a different driver. As far as I know there isn't any performance advantage or compatibility. That is unless you need the very specific needs of the improved 3D pipeline for designers. Taking a look at NVidia's listed professional apps:

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/gpu-accelerated-applications-uk.html

You can see that your programmes aren't listed. Certainly the benchmark sites have managed to get NVidia assisted video encoding working on a range of tools. I am fairly certain you can buy a standard NVidia card and have it work correctly. If adobe needed a Quadro they would be saying that rather than just NVidia.

The requirement for NVidia is likely based on them using CUDA instead of openCL for support. CUDA is a better API and quite a bit faster along with being earlier to market. If they use CUDA you'll not be able to use an AMD card at all.

ElectroPulse

Jun 13, 2012
The Quadro range of cards used to be about 3D rendering, they had specific functions turned on that only a 3D designer would care about. They are the same GPUs but with a different driver. As far as I know there isn't any performance advantage or compatibility. That is unless you need the very specific needs of the improved 3D pipeline for designers. Taking a look at NVidia's listed professional apps:

http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/gpu-accelerated-applications-uk.html

You can see that your programmes aren't listed. Certainly the benchmark sites have managed to get NVidia assisted video encoding working on a range of tools. I am fairly certain you can buy a standard NVidia card and have it work correctly. If adobe needed a Quadro they would be saying that rather than just NVidia.

The requirement for NVidia is likely based on them using CUDA instead of openCL for support. CUDA is a better API and quite a bit faster along with being earlier to market. If they use CUDA you'll not be able to use an AMD card at all.

Thank you for the reply, and a very informative one at that.

That was exactly what I was looking for... He will mainly be doing video editing, so I don't think 3D will be involved... He isn't doing 3D modelling or rendering or anything.

Anyway, thanks again for the answer!