NVIDIA GTX 280 High Failure Rates/RMA

Mr Fox

Sep 24, 2006
NVIDIA Has had Major Issues with the Build Quality for the 280 GTX that have Affected Operating Temperature, and has created High Failure/RMA Rates.

This is Failure Mode caused by one of Three Things:

1,) Lack of Parallelism, between the GPU Die, and the Cooler Assembly. (This would be caused by Poor Quality Components)

2,) Loose Screws, that Join the PCB to the Cooler. (This would be caused by poor Process Control in MFG. Process, IE: Fastener Torque Values)

3,) Potential Power Regulation Issue That Is Indicated in posts where Power Consumption went from 350 Watts to 550 Watts. (Thanks Keys !) Excellent observation.

This Thread at EVGA

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.asp?m=475440

There is this Voluminous Thread At NV News.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulleti...owthread.php?p=1707771

The same story repeats on many other Forums.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=5677031

http://www.xtremesystems.org/F...ad.php?t=192583&page=3

Edit : Added Third Failure Mode to Thread

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
And the bad news keeps on coming for Nvidia, doesn't it? The industry can change overnight, it wasn't that long ago that Nvidia was on top of the world.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Mr Fox = http://forums.anandtech.com/me...=2212392&enterthread=y LOL.

Heat problems sound familiar n7?

Anyway when you say "High" failure rates, can you provide a percentage? Or are you going of threads that people post in forums? Myself and several people I know never had an issue with heat......

There very well may be a larger issue here, but unless you have some hard facts, you are looking more and more like a NV-flamer. (see link above for claiming it was official that EVGA was with ATi now)

shangshang

May 17, 2008
This thread is useless without statistical numbers.

(Jesus dude, I hope you didn't attend college. I can't imagine anyone who has gone or is going to college would not understand the concept of supporting your statement. Maybe you were in the liberal arts or marketing department??)

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Hey, if Mr. Fox has something to say, he should be allowed to say it. Draw your own conclusions about his motives in silence. Really doesn't have any place in the thread, or in any of the other threads he starts.
/2 cents.

Jessica69

Mar 11, 2008
Well, since nvidia is completely mum about how many chips are failing, and only they and the OEM laptop makers really know how many are failing, public forums are about the only way the average user will ever find out how extensive the problem really is.....so don't harp on no numbers being present....and to suggest that the thread is useless without statistics is just stupid....or juvenile, as the case may be.

But with a LOT of major publications writing about this problem for over a month now......EE Times, Information Week, The Register, X-Bit Labs among others......it's not something Mr. Fox has just made up. Add to that the fact that nvidia is taking a $200 million write-off to cope with this, which will eventually probably grow again and again, and you have a glimpse into how really big the problem is. All you have to do is browse the various laptop makers' forums to get an idea how many are effected by it....and just because "me and a couple of my friends" haven't had a problem does little to negate the fact it IS a big problem with nvidia right now.

And nvidia blaming everyone and anyone....the package makers of their gpus, the laptop makers (as if Dell, HP, Apple, Lenovo, etc., all work in a vacuum with NO input from nvidia as to what is required for proper cooling of the gpu.....and to think that's true is to be very niave and a complete nvidia idiot)......and not themselves smacks of a coverup by nvidia at a time when all the publicity nvidia is getting is just bad news and negative reviews.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Originally posted by: shangshang

No, it's not really.

This thread is a warning to those looking to buy what has a decent chance of being a defective card.

There will never be numbers or percentages released, since nV & board partners would never release that kind of information.

The simple fact is, there are a LOT of defective GTX 280s being sold.

I don't think anyone would disagree that there have been far more HD 4850/4870s, or GTX 260s, 9800 GTXs, etc. sold than the GTX 280?

Anyone disagree with that?

Yet i am not seeing any threads on any forums out there with people complaining about those cards being defective.

Yet we have a LOT of people getting defective GTX 280s, myself being one of them.
And it's not just one...people are getting two, three, & more.

There is an issue here...how serious you can decide on your own.

But when you get shafted like i have, or all those others have, reality hits pretty hard fast.

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
I am surprised by this. When nvidia started intel bashing, I knew they were in trouble, but shoddy manufacturing? I kind of expected the 4800 series to have problems, because of heat issues. ..

I am sure they will solve whatever the problem in their manufacturing process is (probably already have).

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: Jessica69
Well, since nvidia is completely mum about how many chips are failing, and only they and the OEM laptop makers really know how many are failing, public forums are about the only way the average user will ever find out how extensive the problem really is.....so don't harp on no numbers being present....and to suggest that the thread is useless without statistics is just stupid....or juvenile, as the case may be.

But with a LOT of major publications writing about this problem for over a month now......EE Times, Information Week, The Register, X-Bit Labs among others......it's not something Mr. Fox has just made up. Add to that the fact that nvidia is taking a $200 million write-off to cope with this, which will eventually probably grow again and again, and you have a glimpse into how really big the problem is. All you have to do is browse the various laptop makers' forums to get an idea how many are effected by it....and just because "me and a couple of my friends" haven't had a problem does little to negate the fact it IS a big problem with nvidia right now.

And nvidia blaming everyone and anyone....the package makers of their gpus, the laptop makers (as if Dell, HP, Apple, Lenovo, etc., all work in a vacuum with NO input from nvidia as to what is required for proper cooling of the gpu.....and to think that's true is to be very niave and a complete nvidia idiot)......and not themselves smacks of a coverup by nvidia at a time when all the publicity nvidia is getting is just bad news and negative reviews.
I think you might be confusing the topic of this thread with something else......

There are three issues sort of going on simulaneously atm, so it's easy to get it all confused:
- the issue with the weak packaging in 84XX and 86XX GPUs, which mostly affects notebooks - this is what you're thinking of
- the 790i chipset / NV's chipset business in general
- defective GTX280s where some of the GPUs appear to be overheating for reasons that aren't clear yet - this is what's being discussed in this thread

Personally, I'm kind of curious if any of this is related. Seems like a lot happening at once to be coincidental.

AmberClad

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: BFG10K
This is looking like a repeat of the 7900 GT "OC" fiasco.
Oh? What was that about?

I usually skip one card generation, and the 7-series was between my 6800 and 8800GTS, so I wasn't really paying attention to news related to that series.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Originally posted by: AmberClad

Oh? What was that about?
During the 7900 GT days a number of "OC" versions appeared as the vendors tried to outdo each other in performance. The problem is they pushed the cards too hard and they'd frequently start dying with heavy artifacting.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
Originally posted by: n7

No, it's not really.

This thread is a warning to those looking to buy what has a decent chance of being a defective card.

There will never be numbers or percentages released, since nV & board partners would never release that kind of information.

I don't think anyone would disagree that there have been far more HD 4850/4870s, or GTX 260s, 9800 GTXs, etc. sold than the GTX 280?

Yet i am not seeing any threads on any forums out there with people complaining about those cards being defective.

Yet we have a LOT of people getting defective GTX 280s, myself being one of them.

There is an issue here...how serious you can decide on your own.

But when you get shafted like i have, or all those others have, reality hits pretty hard fast.

this is starting to freak me out. I'm sure that it's happened, but I haven't heard of a single instance of a 4850 or 4870 owner having to rma more than once. I'll bet that nvidia switches to the same strategy that ati has employed for their next generation.

Mr Fox

Sep 24, 2006
Originally posted by: keysplayr2003
Hey, if Mr. Fox has something to say, he should be allowed to say it. Draw your own conclusions about his motives in silence. Really doesn't have any place in the thread, or in any of the other threads he starts.
/2 cents.

So you don't have a problem with the customer sorting this Boatload of Cards ?

Hmm ... what about the next Boatload ? and the next after that ?

Unfortunately that will be the issue.

How fast can you stop the bleed ?

magreen

Golden Member
Dec 27, 2006
I've just learned to not trust posters who RandOmly capitalize the First Letter in words for no reason.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Jessica69

It's "nVidiot" actually. :p

james1701

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2007
The 8800GT had the same failure rumor running around when everyone was complaining about how the the single slot cooler was.

LOUISSSSS

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 2005
Originally posted by: james1701
The 8800GT had the same failure rumor running around when everyone was complaining about how the the single slot cooler was.

no thats NOT like the high failure rates of the GTX280. the heat problem of the 8800gt is similar and is easily fixed like the 4850HD

WaTaGuMp

Lifer
May 10, 2001
I have a MUCH better thread idea.

Poster #1 ATI makes the shittiest drivers, ill never buy one of those cards.

Poster#2 Nvidia drivers suck, ATI makes much better drivers.

Dadofamunky

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2005

(Jesus dude, I hope you didn't attend college. I can't imagine anyone who has gone or is going to college would not understand the concept of supporting your statement. Maybe you were in the liberal arts or marketing department??)

BS. He gave plenty of supporting links. Including support sites for ACTUAL CARD MAKERS.

That is weird, that no one's threaded about that around here. Seems like a pretty serious problem. NVidia will probably get around to fixing it, but it's another black eye they don't need right now, particularly pissing off their high-end users.

Funny how NVidia was soooooooo aggro about their PR recently and now you suddenly don't hear a peep from Mr. Huang. I love it when that happens.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: Dadofamunky

BS. He gave plenty of supporting links. Including support sites for ACTUAL CARD MAKERS.

That is weird, that no one's threaded about that around here. Seems like a pretty serious problem. NVidia will probably get around to fixing it, but it's another black eye they don't need right now, particularly pissing off their high-end users.

Funny how NVidia was soooooooo aggro about their PR recently and now you suddenly don't hear a peep from Mr. Huang. I love it when that happens.

No, that doesnt make it wierd, that makes it not as widespread as our ATi emplo....sorry, I mean OP...make it sound. This is a HUGE tech forum, and n7 is the only one I know of with the issue. Linking to a couple internet threads that have people complaining do not make it a crazy issue. Also, the sensationalism is laughable.

Then, all these claims about what the problem might possibly be are just pulled of the the air. I think most of us can see what this is about....even on a ATi dominated forum...I hope.

Is there a nigher number of 280 RMAs than any other NV card right now? I would say yes. But it would be interesting to get to the bottom of what is causing it and see how widespread it is before we sh*t ourselves.

If it *does* turn out that NV tried to sell $650 cards with shotty engineering and/or assembling, that would be a story. But a couple examples of overheating dont make it an epidemic (yet).

Oy, now I let you guys have some leeway with calling each other names because a zero-tolerance policy benefits no one, but choose when & what wisely. If you're going to accuse someone of being a paid shill, you need to have proof of it, otherwise don't do it.

-ViRGE

Mr Fox

Sep 24, 2006
Originally posted by: Ocguy31
Originally posted by: Dadofamunky

No, that doesnt make it wierd, that makes it not as widespread as our ATi emplo....sorry, I mean OP...make it sound. This is a HUGE tech forum, and n7 is the only one I know of with the issue. Linking to a couple internet threads that have people complaining do not make it a crazy issue. Also, the sensationalism is laughable.

Then, all these claims about what the problem might possibly be are just pulled of the the air. I think most of us can see what this is about....even on a ATi dominated forum...I hope.

Is there a nigher number of 280 RMAs than any other NV card right now? I would say yes. But it would be interesting to get to the bottom of what is causing it and see how widespread it is before we sh*t ourselves.

If it *does* turn out that NV tried to sell $650 cards with shotty engineering and/or assembling, that would be a story. But a couple examples of overheating dont make it an epidemic (yet).

Again you did not take the time to read the threads, there were a few guys that had a card that was bad, and they tighten the Screws, and lo, and behold... the temps come down...

This supports my claims, and anyone can figure that out.

And before you accuse of shill ism.... read what cards I Have, and have always had...

I have owned one ATI in the Rage Fury Days, and since GeForce 2 .. I have bought Strictly nV.....

My personal ire is that I was one of the many consumers that was caught by the changing definition of SLI....

Since that battle I still buy their cards, but my Eyes as a Consumer are not blind to their methods.

This is the first time, in years that I have ever even considered ATI.

thilanliyan

Lifer
Jun 21, 2005

Get off your high horse bud. If you're claiming the OP is a fanboy of one company...you're just as guilty. Every time something negative is posted about NV you're in there claiming bias. And your claims of an ATI dominated forum are laughable at best. I think the majority of people in here are smart enough to not be fanboys of any company...and just buy whatever suits their budget and wants at the time.

The GTX 280 overheating issues are a problem (obviously not as huge as the defective laptop GPUs) as indicated by the EVGA and nvnews threads. It's better that it's exposed now instead of being swept under the rug. For example, there are threads about ATI cards running hot correct? Isn't it better that those issues are out in the open so a remedy can be found? I don't think the OP posted anything sensational with THIS thread.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Originally posted by: thilan29

Get off your high horse bud. If you're claiming the OP is a fanboy of one company...you're just as guilty. Every time something negative is posted about NV you're in there claiming bias. And your claims of an ATI dominated forum are laughable at best. I think the majority of people in here are smart enough to not be fanboys of any company...and just buy whatever suits their budget and wants at the time.

The GTX 280 overheating issues are a problem (obviously not as huge as the defective laptop GPUs) as indicated by the EVGA and nvnews threads. It's better that it's exposed now instead of being swept under the rug. For example, there are threads about ATI cards running hot correct? Isn't it better that those issues are out in the open so a remedy can be found? I don't think the OP posted anything sensational with THIS thread.

You dont quote the part where I say it is a problem, we just dont know how widespread...you prove my point oh so well.