• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Nvidia GPU and BenQw1070 - How to play 3D?

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
I'm having the damndest time trying to get the 3D working on this setup. I have the W1070 and a GTX 760. I'm trying to watch a MKV 3D movie in 3D without luck. Does anyone have any step-by step instructions on what I need to do to get these to work together?

I installed the 3Dtv play software that opened up lots of configuration options _ I can get the Nvidia 3D test working just fine, but watching movies doesn't seem to work.

Help? Please?

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
I have no help but it made me sad to leave you hanging.

I have the same projector. I had no issue playing a 3d movie from a blu ray iso via my htpc with commercial blu ray playback software free trial (don't remember which one). I tried and failed to get a 3d mkv to work. I don't have a clue if that was because I didn't make the mkv right or didn't play it back right. Watching the iso reminded me I don't much like 3d so I stopped messing with it. :p

jdoggg12

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2005
I have no help but it made me sad to leave you hanging.

I have the same projector. I had no issue playing a 3d movie from a blu ray iso via my htpc with commercial blu ray playback software free trial (don't remember which one). I tried and failed to get a 3d mkv to work. I don't have a clue if that was because I didn't make the mkv right or didn't play it back right. Watching the iso reminded me I don't much like 3d so I stopped messing with it. :p
Haha, thanks for the reply.

I think it's the MKV thing that's causing the issue. I got a few of my games to work - I don't like the required "handshake" hoops that I have to go through:
-Make sure 3D is enabled on PJ
-Make sure 3d is enabled in Nvidia settings
-Make sure resolution is set to 720p @ 60hz or 1080 @ 24hz....
-etc. etc.

I've had the PJ since April. I only just got the glasses last week to try the 3D... I was hoping to be impressed b/c of the claimed quality of the 3D on this PJ, but I can't get it to play my MKV movies and I really don't want to fork out $100 for the Blue Ray software to play BR movies on my PC (had I known VLC can't do BR, I would've just stuck with a DVD-R drive)! :( Guess I'll just wait till the new game systems are out to get my first actual blu-ray player.

Any recommendations on your end on a good test subject for some 'wow factor'?
I guess I'll need

Dirigible

Diamond Member
Apr 26, 2006
I'm no good on great wow factor ideas either. I got my projector at the beginning of April too and am still wowed every time I watch *anything* on the giant screen. My favorite is probably sports. Watching nba playoffs was amazing. The preseason NFL was great too so far.

I always rip my blu rays to iso with anydvd and use xbmc for playback normally. I don't think that does 3d playback though. If I could figure how to make 3d mkvs so I wouldn't need to buy blu ray playback software I'd probably watch more 3d stuff.

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I think one of the issues you are having is that there are actually multiple 3D video standards. Some are setup that both frames of video are displayed at once (some have it that the left eye frame is shown on the left and the right eye frame is shown on the right, others are such that the left eye frame is shown on the top and the right eye frame is shown on the bottom, but this is more rare since it halves the already small 1080 vertical resolution, where-as the other halves the 1920 horizontal resolution). Another 3D configuration shows the left and right frames in alternating frequency, which keeps the full 1080p resolution, but halves the frame-rate. And another simply interweaves the frames together (much like interlaced video) with each horizontal scan line alternating between left and right eye frame.

In other words, it could be that your source material is in a format that is incompatible with your projector/TV.

ASK THE COMMUNITY