nvidia geforce gt 620 Cooling

porter18

Feb 20, 2013
I purchased a computer about 4 months ago now that i sometimes use for moderate level games. I run two monitors all the time and i have noticed that after playing for 20-30 minuets the GPU temp runs close to what i would consider the top of the safe operating temp range.
The CPU temp stays down fine since it came with a half decent heat sink/fan (may upgrade later)
But Im looking for suggestions to help cool the nvidia geforce gt 620 graphics card, either a new heat sink/fan for the card itself if possible, or an additional fan.

Motherboard is a joshua-h61-uatx with all three of the pci express slots above the video card still open.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
If you don't have a case fan I would get one.

Other than that don't waste any more money on such a low end card. Save for better card in the future.

porter18

Feb 20, 2013
It has a case fan, but I am guessing it doesn't help the GPU very much because its below the card by the CPU.

The graphics card wasn't really my "choice" per say, I didn't build the computer it was bought as a stock model off the shelf, the overall performance of the card isint an issue for me, just the operating temp gets a bit high for my comfort.

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012
It has a case fan, but I am guessing it doesn't help the GPU very much because its below the card by the CPU.

The graphics card wasn't really my "choice" per say, I didn't build the computer it was bought as a stock model off the shelf, the overall performance of the card isint an issue for me, just the operating temp gets a bit high for my comfort.

Is there room for a case fan near the top then? Most cases have a place for 1 on the bottom and 1 on top. That may help.

After that if it displays correctly then I would not worry about it. If it gets to hot it will throttle to save itself and it does not sound like it is running to hot.

porter18

Feb 20, 2013
the only space for a fan at the top of the case is the one built into the power supply.

My thought was to prevent the GPU from ever getting to the point that it has to throttle, because in my opinion if it does, then thats too late to think about better cooling, since any excessive heat reduces the lifetime of electronics.

Edit: I guess it comes down to the design of the motherboard being a bit faulty, as all the previous computers i have owned the pci slots were at the bottom of the motherboard (when stood on edge in the case) with the CPU in the middle near the main case fan.
While this motherboard has the pci slots right up below the power supply, and the CPU down close to the bottom, and the main case fan being sort of between them.

Last edited:

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
graphics chips can usually take fairly high temps. what are you using to report temps and what are those temps?

Edit: I guess it comes down to the design of the motherboard being a bit faulty, as all the previous computers i have owned the pci slots were at the bottom of the motherboard (when stood on edge in the case) with the CPU in the middle near the main case fan.
While this motherboard has the pci slots right up below the power supply, and the CPU down close to the bottom, and the main case fan being sort of between them.

sounds like a BTX board. it's not faulty, thermally it's a better design than ATX. it never really caught on.

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
I purchased a computer about 4 months ago now that i sometimes use for moderate level games. I run two monitors all the time and i have noticed that after playing for 20-30 minuets the GPU temp runs close to what i would consider the top of the safe operating temp range.
The CPU temp stays down fine since it came with a half decent heat sink/fan (may upgrade later)
What are your temps exactly ?

porter18

Feb 20, 2013
graphics chips can usually take fairly high temps. what are you using to report temps and what are those temps?

Right now I am using PCMeter through sidebar gadgets to keep track of all system info (cpu usage, ram usage, individual cpu core temps, gpu usage, temp)
That was just the best way I had found to keep an eye on stats without having some massive program running.

My normal Idle temp when not doing anything for the gpu is around 40C but under the load of playing the game it runs 60-65C though occasionally reaching 70C.
These are below the gpu's rated max temp of 98C but i would still prefer to keep the temps in the 50-55C range if possible

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
My normal Idle temp when not doing anything for the gpu is around 40C but under the load of playing the game it runs 60-65C though occasionally reaching 70C.
These are below the gpu's rated max temp of 98C but i would still prefer to keep the temps in the 50-55C range if possible

This is kind of like someone saying I need to cool my body down because I am at 98.9 instead of 98.6. It's not hot at all.

If you really want to cool it down...although you will see no benefit and your electric bill will be a tiny bit higher. Get one of these. I use them sometimes to cool my north-bridge.

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Spot-Coo...ords=spot+cool

porter18

Feb 20, 2013
This is kind of like someone saying I need to cool my body down because I am at 98.9 instead of 98.6. It's not hot at all.

If you really want to cool it down...although you will see no benefit and your electric bill will be a tiny bit higher. Get one of these. I use them sometimes to cool my north-bridge.

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Spot-Coo...ords=spot+cool

I know its not really that high, but my hope was to keep it in the comfortable temp range to prolong the cards life (and possibly the entire computer)

I guess I should have asked in my original question but would a fan like that be better or would adding an extra exhaust fan to one of the empty slots above the card be better?
I was hoping there was a way to upgrade the heatsink/fan on the card since the one thats on it is pretty low end/small/cheap

Picture of Card though the one I have only has DVI and HDMI (no VGA)
http://www.geforce.com/Active/en_US...-GT-520-oem-3qtr-1000x580_gallery_preview.png

(preferably would like a solution for under $40)