Nvidia GeForce 7 series Windows 98 drivers

SEC07

Nov 21, 2017
Kind of a weird question, but I'm building a Windows 98 machine with new parts and I need a graphics card. The newest series with official Win 9x drivers is GeForce 6, but in the forums I've been looking at I keep seeing unofficial GeForce 7 drivers mentioned. Unfortunately, I've yet to find a download for said drivers. Any help would be appreciated.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Kind of a weird question, but I'm building a Windows 98 machine with new parts and I need a graphics card. The newest series with official Win 9x drivers is GeForce 6, but in the forums I've been looking at I keep seeing unofficial GeForce 7 drivers mentioned. Unfortunately, I've yet to find a download for said drivers. Any help would be appreciated.
You NEED a graphics card that is compatible with w98? Just to clarify... you say you are looking for drivers for an old 7 series card you have not purchased yet? Surely you know that the 7 series referred to cards dating back to 2005/6 which may be difficult to find even used. Even if you find one you will still be on a basically obsolete machine limited to old games (if gaming is on your mind). And forget about internet, w98 is a severe security risk in and of itself (doubtful any AV software would support it). And expecting "new parts" that will work with it is unlikely, no "new parts" are compatible with w98. The task you are embarked on (building a w98 machine) is more trouble than its worth.

SEC07

Nov 21, 2017
7 series cards are not difficult to find, you can get them pretty cheap on eBay. The machine is going to run Windows 98 for old Dos and Windows games and Linux Mint for doing other stuff. Of course I don't expect to be able to use it for actual gaming. I just want an all-in-one PC that I can use for old games and for work, which I think is going to be pretty neat. And of course I'm going to run into compatibility issues that are going to be a pain to resolve, but the end product is gonna be worth it, at least I think so. I can just use a 6 series card if there's no 7 drivers available for 98, just wondering if there are.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
^ Not only that, but I doubt W98 can be installed on 'new parts'. No new hardware supports it. Motherboards will not have drivers for it, no chipset, sound or LAN drivers, its basically an impossible task.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
The. 256mb 6800 ultra is the last officially supported card for win 98.
Looks like you might be able to get a 7950 gt working though , but it must be a 256mb card.
Windows 98 only supports a single cpu core, the 7 series gpu will be bottlenecked severely anyway.

Last edited:

SEC07

Nov 21, 2017
Welp, ended up going with a Pentium 4, a 6800 Ultra, 512 megs of RAM, and a 80 Gb HDD. Hoping this works, will be assembling it this weekend.

SEC07

Nov 21, 2017
lol someone still using win 98, i can't stop laughing .......:p:eek:o_O:mad::)
Ha, you actually think I'm using this? Yeah emulation is free and cheap, but where's the fun in that? If I'm gonna play old games, I'm gonna do it right.
And an update now that I'm thinking about it: Got the machine up and running last week and it's playing Descent fine!

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
Ha, you actually think I'm using this? Yeah emulation is free and cheap, but where's the fun in that? If I'm gonna play old games, I'm gonna do it right.
And an update now that I'm thinking about it: Got the machine up and running last week and it's playing Descent fine!
Nice man, loved Descent!

Headfoot

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2008
Im glad they have updated versions of a lot of my old favorites on GOG these days

swdev

Nov 25, 2022
lol someone still using win 98, i can't stop laughing .......:p:eek:o_O:mad::)
I just build my win98 rig: and it was so worth it.
For nostalgic purpose, and some retro coding: Visual J++. That bring back some memory!

Attachments

• IMG_2032.jpeg
    IMG_2032.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8

CP5670

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2004
Great project. However, for Descent you're better off running a Voodoo3 or Voodoo2 SLI. You can use D1_3dfx. The 6800 series came out long after 98 was dead.