Nvidia driver file detected as threat by Avast

nine9s

May 24, 2010
Sorry if this is not correct foums but since it deals with a popular video card driver, I thought it would be more relevant here.

I got a new GTX 460 card. I uninstalled the Nvidia drivers related to my old Nvidia card and removedany stray files in safe-mode with Driver Sweeper. I then went back into regular system and installed Nvidia 260.99 drivers from the Nvidia website. Everything works fine.

I had run an Avast full system scan last week and no virus detected. I ran a scan today and it listed two detections. Both are the file nvhda32.sys, located in two places:
(1) C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\260.99\Vista 64-bit\English\HDAudio and
(2) C:\Program Files\NVIDIA Corporation\Installer2\HDAudio.Driver.0

I did not do anything (chose ignore) because these seem important files that should be safe. I looked at the properties of both files. Both are digitally signed by NVIDIA Corporation. Both have been last modified on 9/7/2010 3:09PM.

I assume this is a false positive but false positive detections of popular files usually have many posts across the internet and I found none related to nvhda32.sys when I searched for it and Avast.

I examined each of the files with Avast and it noted they were viruses again. Malwarebytes showed NO threat for either and I did a full system scan with the online Symantec scan and it found no threats on my computer.

Anyone else have this happen? Would you just ignore it (I assume that file is needed)?

Last edited:

RavenSEAL

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2010
Eh? I had a GTS450 running with Avast for nearly 4 months and i never got anything like that...

nine9s

May 24, 2010
Send it to http://www.virustotal.com/

Avast has been getting alot of FP's lately

Thanks I just did it. After upload, the site stated that others had uploaded the same file recently and no threat found but I chose to reanalyze. It did and none of the 30+ security programs found anything wrong with it - including Avast.

I then updated Avast but it did not seem to need to update (it already had earlier today.) I then checked the file with a right click and chose to scan with Avast and this time it noted no threat. I then rebooted and checked again and no threat. I am now running another full system scan to see if anything shows.

Last edited: