NVIDIA DLSS Available Now in Anthem, Delivering Up to 40% More Performance

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Auer

Nov 27, 2018
But, as always, this feature will NEVER be available for "0-day" gamers, as NVidia must do massive pre-processing, using the actual game, on their supercomputers, to "distill down" the feature, for the consumer cards' Tensor Cores.

Should be no issue waiting for NV to distill, as most games released these days seem mostly half done anyhow and need several updates and patches to work correctly.

There is no point in being a 0-day gamer these days.

Reactions: happy medium

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Should be no issue waiting for NV to distill, as most games released these days seem mostly half done anyhow and need several updates and patches to work correctly.

- Believe me, no one agrees more than me on your base concept, but from the sound of it the only people that ever had the motivation to "enjoy" Anthem were the 0 day gamers.

The problem with these instanced "always online" games is no matter how good the base content is, the first month really determines whether the game lives or dies and whether we get another WOW/Fortnight/Apex Legends.

The other issue is the folks dropping coin on DLSS enabled cards, i would wager, have a substantial overlap with the 0 day gamer crowd.

I'm still clearing out games in my libarary from 2013/2014, which my 980ti is more than capable of playing at actual 4K.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
In this case things are a bit more nuanced.

Anthem is part of a distinct breed of online games, made to keep players hooked on progression for years. This involves frequent content patches, on a very tight schedule. It's basically the nightmare scenario for DLSS training time, as teams often work until the last moment on streamlining the next patch.

Once DLSS is activated in a game like Anthem, it needs to stay on for the next patches as well, even if they come with massive content updates - which presumably require further DLSS training.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005

This is not what statics says.
If this was the case, there would be no company which would offer presale's because it would be a flunk'd market, yet every game has a presale.
Also Game companies bait the gamer into being 0 day by offering presale goodies, which forces those who dont want to be 0 day, to become one to get said goodies.

Its quite frustrating honestly being a 0 day gamer.
The game is plagued with bugs, and requires several patches sometimes, but the dev's i guess recoup you by giving u presale bonuses.

You want the shiny skin which only presale orders can get, you will now offically have to become a 0 day gamer.

railven

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2010
The tech itself can be used for both, either seduce enthusiasts or just lower performance targets for the rest of the crowd, and what Nvidia chose to do with DLSS today is the latter.

I'm aware of that, the trojan horse route. Normally NV handles catering to enthusiasts with a little more substance. The handful of games that have DLSS presented it awfully, DXR is sold to me but I only got 1 game to use it on.

Don't be surprised if the 3000 or 4000 series brings about a massive shift in this strategy, with Nvidia shouting from the rooftops just how great 4K DLSS 2X is, how it massively enhances IQ over native 4K for such a small performance cost. The same discussions that we're having today over how incapable humans are to distinguish native 4K details over upscaled 4K DLSS are going to magically morph into heated debates on how easy is to spot the pixels between 4K TAA and the clearly superior supersampled 4K DLSS 2X. It turns out it only takes 2-3 years for the human psyche to evolve into seeing zoomed-in 4K details.

I also won't be surprised. I've been around for a while. Marketing gonna market.

On a more serious note, every day passing by in which Nvidia avoids enabling DLSS 2X to give us a chance of properly assessing both IQ gain and perf loss at ISO resolution is a day in which I gradually lose interest in this tech.

When I saw the BF5 examples, I loss interest in this tech.