Nvidia CEO to visit Taiwan in October, to discuss 40nm contract prices with TSMC

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'd be staggeringly surprised if Jensen doesn't make these trips on a monthly basis as routine part of effecting his duties as CEO. The CEO of Texas Instruments does.

What's the news here? Jensen isn't derilect of his job? :laugh:

Kakkoii

Jun 5, 2009
Well I think the news here is that it's further confirmation from Digitimes that the GT300 should be out before next year.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Yeah you can bet the plan has always been to have product available for purchase in the channel to coincide with Win7 release timeline. (for both companies)

Intel got their Lynnfield/P55 out in time, as well as their G2 SSDs. AMD is looking to be getting their DX11 cards out in time in addition to fleshing out their Athlon X2 and X4 product lineup.

The only wild card at the moment appears to be NV, and I can only imagine just how amped up the sense of urgency is right now in those cubicles.

Jensen's Oct trip may be routine in frequency, but you can bet he'll be banging a drum pretty loudly to get that final push on across the entire supply chain.

dflynchimp

Apr 11, 2007
I'm probably talking out of my ass, but anyone think Jensen plans to layeth the smacketh down on the low GT300 yields?

Kakkoii

Jun 5, 2009
Originally posted by: dflynchimp
I'm probably talking out of my ass, but anyone think Jensen plans to layeth the smacketh down on the low GT300 yields?

Depends if the yields were low or not. Depends who's rumor you go with.. Charlies, or everyone else's lol.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999

Smacketh down wouldn't resolve a yield issue, doesn't address root-cause.

Now as for providing some motivation to address yield (if its really an issue)...he'd probably start by staging a VERY public meeting with some top GlobalFoundries officials...

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Idontcare
I'd be staggeringly surprised if Jensen doesn't make these trips on a monthly basis as routine part of effecting his duties as CEO. The CEO of Texas Instruments does.

What's the news here? Jensen isn't derilect of his job? :laugh:

I am sure this is routine, as discussing contract prices, while ati releases would be unprepared to say the least.

exar333

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2004

Could just be delays with production, not just the yields. Have any samples hit anywhere for review? We saw unconfirmed results for the 58xx a while back, and I haven't seen anything yet for GT300.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007

Now as for providing some motivation to address yield (if its really an issue)...he'd probably start by staging a VERY public meeting with some top GlobalFoundries officials...

that would be quite ironic if nv switched to gf and ati stayed with tsmc...

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: bryanW1995

that would be quite ironic if nv switched to gf and ati stayed with tsmc...

:laugh: yeah, that would be something

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
Pure speculation but this visit by nVidia's CEO to TSMC can, IMHO, mean one of two things. The first is TSMC has fixed the issue with yields but nVidia's GT300 are of such large size that they're going to run into problems with pricing their cards competitively with ATI's cards. The discussion will indeed be about contract prices as nVidia attempts to lower them to stay competitive. The second is that TSMC still has problems with yields regardless of what they claim and nVidia's CEO is coming to personally bitch at them (TSMC). We'll likely have a better guess after the next financial report from both ATI and nVidia as well as look at availability of their upcoming cards.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: akugami
Pure speculation but this visit by nVidia's CEO to TSMC can, IMHO, mean one of two things. The first is TSMC has fixed the issue with yields but nVidia's GT300 are of such large size that they're going to run into problems with pricing their cards competitively with ATI's cards. The discussion will indeed be about contract prices as nVidia attempts to lower them to stay competitive. The second is that TSMC still has problems with yields regardless of what they claim and nVidia's CEO is coming to personally bitch at them (TSMC). We'll likely have a better guess after the next financial report from both ATI and nVidia as well as look at availability of their upcoming cards.

Wouldn't you find it odd, disappointing in fact, as a shareholder or financial analyst if NV's CEO wasn't doing those things (cost reduction efforts in essence) regardless of the reality with ATI or the yields at TSMC or the size of their next-gen chip?

I expect Jensen to be routinely crying poor to Morris Chang, October is nothing special in this regard.

I expect Jensen to be routinely engaged with cost reduction activities to better position themselves in pricing to maximize margins, regardless ATI's release schedule of next-gen chips.

I expect Jensen to be routinely engaged with the foundries doing what he can to push on their yield-enhancement efforts.

Of what I saw internally at TI (which isn't to say I saw the whole picture either) of our CEO Rich Templeton engaging with the foundries, as well as SUN's CEO Scott McNealy engaging with us at TI (we were their foundry up thru 65nm) the outlined activities of Jensen is just routine monthly meetings and business as usual for a guy in that position in this industry.

Again what baffles me here is not that Jensen is doing any of these things, its that him doing any of these routine things has somehow become news fodder. Next up "zomg Jensen just took a dookie guys! :shocked: and get this, he used a TOILET in the process, WTF right!? This totally has to be in response to ATI or yield issues at TSMC, no...other...explaination...possible...".

Tempered81

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2007
I think the "hot-lot" samples probably yielded 2-10%, but full-fledged production is probably closer to 20-50%.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
@IDC. I hear what you're saying and agree 100%. I just get tired of some people claiming up and down there are zero problems with nVidia and the GT300. A visit by nVidia's CEO to TSMC doesn't sound good, especially after all of the TSMC and GT300 yield/cost rumors, unless it's a normal yearly occurrence.

Hauk

Platinum Member
Nov 22, 2001
Lots of speculation, even about a visit to TSMC. I'm left wondering, with competitive product launching and no word, will Oct 22nd come to pass too?

Rumored specs of GT300 look so promising; but what timeframe will pass before those on the fence will buy ATI? Certainly this question has to be weighing in isn't it??

I've had cards from both camps but honestly, I want an nV DX11 solution, an SLI solution that I can keep for a couple years. I'm sick of swapping.

What date would you set to expect some word, Oct 22nd, some time in November?

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: akugami
@IDC. I hear what you're saying and agree 100%. I just get tired of some people claiming up and down there are zero problems with nVidia and the GT300. A visit by nVidia's CEO to TSMC doesn't sound good, especially after all of the TSMC and GT300 yield/cost rumors, unless it's a normal yearly occurrence.

It's cool and I understand where you are coming from as well.

Not every fire produces smoke, nor is every smoke cloud caused by fire, but where there is smoke it stands to reason to assume fire is present until proven otherwise as that is the least harmful assumption to make at the time.

No harm in assuming fire is present, just means you are playing it safe upon approach. Your concerns will either be proven out to have had merit or you'll be pleasantly surprised to the upside with an earlier than expected arrival of the product. Where's the harm in that?

ronnn

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
The harm is to nvidia. If the perception is a long wait, people will jump on the 5870 bandwagon.

Idontcare

Elite Member
Oct 10, 1999
I meant from the enthusiast viewpoint, as akugami was attesting.

There is no harm to you or me in our assuming that until we hear otherwise there must be a huge ass fire roiling around inside NV.

Naturally though this type of assumption on our part does do harm to NV as more and more folks just say "effit, I'm getting the 5870, tired of waiting around for GT300 info without so much as a crumb from headquarters to go on".

That is the risk they (NV) incur by playing the game they are playing (the no news for you! in my best soup nazi voice impression, attitude at the moment) by keeping mum about everything at the moment.

akugami

Diamond Member
Feb 14, 2005
I'll be waiting for news on the GT300 before making a decision. To be fair to myself and my pocket. I waited when nVidia had their cards out first to make a more informed buying decision and I'll wait again now. My first and foremost allegiance is to my pocket and to be honest, I'm likely sitting this round out if the GT300 doesn't wow me. The 5870 was a solid, and certainly not bad, update. The problem is it doesn't provide enough oomph in the games I play at the resolutions I play to warrant an update. I don't want to wait another year for DX11 games to make use of a card I'm getting now. Might as well wait.