Nvidia castrates Fermi to 448SPs

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
Keys there is one thing wrong , I know what I said . Ihave a very good memory almost photo. You really wouldn't want to know my I.Q. I never said anything about Fermi being a Redo. WE were discussing the 310/320 redos . I could easily find it . But it matters not about whois right or wrong its kicking this stuff around that counts . It makes everbodythink . That way better than watching TV . The only reason I really like Tech forums is because it stimulates the brain cells . and it keeps your mind out of the gutter.

If your memory and IQ are so good why is it that your grammar, spelling, punctuation and demeanor so terrible? I don't know, perhaps there is only a minimal correlation but I assume someone with a great memory and IQ would know how to properly communicate.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Keys there is one thing wrong , I know what I said . Ihave a very good memory almost photo. You really wouldn't want to know my I.Q. I never said anything about Fermi being a Redo. WE were discussing the 310/320 redos . I could easily find it . But it matters not about whois right or wrong its kicking this stuff around that counts . It makes everbodythink . That way better than watching TV . The only reason I really like Tech forums is because it stimulates the brain cells . and it keeps your mind out of the gutter.

Who knows. You may very well have meant the 310/320's. But who can tell? I'm not even sure we are talking about the same thing. And as far as boasting about I.Q.'s? When even a "simpleton" like myself with probably an average IQ can get a message across without someone needing a cipher to even try to make sense of it, that doesn't say much for your ballistic I.Q.
You know, I actually believe you are very smart. There may be some truth to the phrase, "There is a fine line between genius, and insanity." This is not meant as an insult. Not at all. It's just that when you hinted about how afraid I'd be if I knew your I.Q., things just made sense. Even to a stupid guy like me.

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
With LCDs becoming much more affordable I just hope Nvidia Fermi comes with Mult-monitor support.

Then reviewers can do some memory bandwidth/VRAM comparisons at higher resolutions than 2560x1600.

Multi-monitor support existed for NV a long long time ago.
My 7800GT on XP could do 2560x1024 on two 17" monitors, any 3D app would work, Windows saw it as a single monitor of 2560x1024. And that was over 4 years ago.

Whether they still have it, I don't personally know, the important question would be how many outputs does an NV card have, and if you can span multiple monitors, can you use the outputs from multiple graphics cards in SLI (or even not in SLI, such as using a primary dual output card with a secondary PhysX card and spanning 3 monitors across the two cards).
Such things are possible, in theory and practice (or have been), since NV have managed dual outputs as a single screen in the past, and Software Triplehead (http://www.kegetys.net/SoftTH/) has managed to give 3D graphics spanned over multiple displays on different cards.
Whether NV will actually implement such features is another matter entirely.
Unfortunately I did go off topic once again in this thread, so I will have to add something to get back on topic.

Back on to ECC:
Not much. The ECC support on the Telsa cards is a bit of a hack. While the Telsa card will have 6 GB of memory on it, only about 5.25 GB will be usable with the rest being reserved for its ECC implementation. Additionally the ECC algorithm utilizes bandwidth on the main memory bus and require their own load/store operations which will impact overall performance.
http://forums.vr-zone.com/news-arou...st-gpu-dual-gpu-fermi-coming.html#post7456148

Not sure 100% where that is from, but I was sure I had read something similar somewhere (not on a forum), and that seems to explain the ECC handling quite nicely.

Back to the question at hand, I just thought of something, although in some ways it's strange, in others it makes perfect sense.
NV has Fermi.
It's 3bn transistors on a 40nm process.
The HPC version will have 448 pipes, the desktop we assume is still on for 512.
Even at 448 the Tesla card will almost certainly blow anything else totally out of the water.
What's to stop NV using defective harvested die for the Tesla cards, and using fully functional ones in desktop graphics cards?
Sure, it's a bit different to normal (cut down/defective die being used as lower end cards), but if that many aren't making the 512 cut, then maybe it's a sensible move to harvest the maximum number of reasonable dies by setting the Tesla high end bar at 448, and having the desktop as 512 and 448, meaning that you're not so pressed for Tesla GPUs?
Does that make sense?

nismotigerwvu

Golden Member
May 13, 2004
Might be more logical that they are launching a 448 harvested part and binning fully functional ones for a later "+" or "ultra" part once yields come in line.

evolucion8

Platinum Member
Jun 17, 2005
I think that the 600GFLOPS with Fermi are in Double Precision, and the GTX 280's 933GFLOPS are in single precision. GT200 architecture doing double precision stinks, Fermi's Double precision performance is greatly enhanced, but yet, it barely outperforms the HD 5870 in Double Precision performance which is a huge let down considering that the Fermi architecture is a GPGPU focused gaming card and the HD 5x00 series are a gaming card with GPGPU functionality, but in the end, for sure Fermi should be easier to attain such GFLOPS at peak.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Who knows. You may very well have meant the 310/320's. But who can tell? I'm not even sure we are talking about the same thing. And as far as boasting about I.Q.'s? When even a "simpleton" like myself with probably an average IQ can get a message across without someone needing a cipher to even try to make sense of it, that doesn't say much for your ballistic I.Q.
You know, I actually believe you are very smart. There may be some truth to the phrase, "There is a fine line between genius, and insanity." This is not meant as an insult. Not at all. It's just that when you hinted about how afraid I'd be if I knew your I.Q., things just made sense. Even to a stupid guy like me.

Ya see thats part of yours mine and everyones problems. Invision if you would A.E. The man could hardly write and the list is very long about the gifts we recieve. I not as bad as you think at writing or grammer but the more you complain about it the worse it well become it called retribution. Many times as I am writing my mind is racing and in my mind I misspronounce a word and thats what I write. But you really shouldn't judge me as its not for you to judge anyone . Like I didn't know rubycon was a women for sure . But Igot a peak at Ruby the other night as to who she really is . I was shocked . Thats preconcieved idealism , This woman has talent . Than I got to thinking man if thats here voice I bet she is also a looker . So I asked . She told me to check her profile . Well I didn't till the next day . When I went back to that thread, and another mod indacated that that wasn't Ruby so I asked Ruby she said it was. So than I checked her profile . Well I was right she is a looker. Now the voice being beutiful does not transalate into good looks also . But I felt inside she was. and she is .

Its also not wise to say your stupid because all here knows thats false .. As does yourself . Befor you can love others ya gotta love yourself . Calling yourself stupid is unwise.

You and I we stand on opposing sides of issues . Thats because we both Choose that . Its about self . But don't let loose of the fact debate can only occur if there are opposing sides to that debate. Ok friend.

Last edited: