Nvidia card on Crossfire Ready Motherboard

Discussion in 'Motherboards' started by dn7309, Dec 5, 2012.

1. dn7309

dn7309 Senior member

Searched for this on google and the forum and it seem most people are interested on running SLi on Crossfire motherboard, but I have no intention of ever going dual cards. However, I got a "crossfire ready" motherboard but looking to upgrade to a GTX 660 card and wondering if there are going to be compatibility and performance issue. anyone can answer this for me before I press the buy now button?

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Nvidia card Crossfire Forum Date
    Can't get MSI X370 SLI PLUS motherboard to post with Nvidia cards! Motherboards Jul 14, 2017
    Do amd mobos support nvidia graphics cards? Motherboards Jul 31, 2010
    790x-ud4p 16x/8x two separate nvidia cards Motherboards Jul 11, 2009
    Having problem with Gigabyte AMD 770 or 790 based motherboard and certain Nvidia Video cards Motherboards Mar 7, 2009
    Crossfire and nvidia cards Motherboards Jan 17, 2008

3. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

Single card on a board that supports crossfire?

Absolutely no compabilities issues due to that. It would have to be something else if there was a problem.

Crossfire and SLi is still standard PCIe. Its simply a driver switch that handles it. the motherboard got nothing to do with besides offering extra PCIe slots and a BIOS ID.

4. dave_the_nerd

That's true now. IIRC, Socket 775 and earlier boards had to be specifically made for one or the other. Newer chipsets just support both.

5. dn7309

dn7309 Senior member

so just so that I will have a piece of mind, my GTX 660 will run like as if it was on any other motherboard that support Nvidia technology?

6. ShintaiDK

ShintaiDK Lifer

Single cards will run on any motherboard with a slot that fits it. Aka PCie x16.

SLI/Crossfire is only when you use 2 graphics cards or more. Else its just an utterly useless and irrelevant information for the board.

SLI and Crossfire is a tiny tiny niche segment anyway.

7. Golgatha

Golgatha Lifer

Yes, as others have mentioned, if you're using a single card you'll have nothing to worry about.