Nvidia and ATI price fixing lawsuit fizzles out.

MarcVenice

Moderator Emeritus <br>
Apr 2, 2007
Looked like a clean article to me, without any rumors, hearsay and such ... I never really gave much credit to this price-fixing thing in the first place ...

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
Looked like a clean article to me, without any rumors, hearsay and such ... I never really gave much credit to this price-fixing thing in the first place ...

Really? It sure seemed like it to me... But, if the charges are dropped, then most likely it was because it never happened, or because there was not enough evidence to prove it to a judge/jury...

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: MarcVenice
In this case their source was PC Perspective, which had citable sources of their own. If someone wants, they can go dig up the court records, I would imagine they'd corroborate the story.

Woofmeister

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2004
The private class action case against Nvidia is being dropped because you have to be a direct purchaser in order to have a private anti-trust claim. That's been the law since 1977 when the U.S. Supreme Court decided the seminal case of Illinois Brick Co. v. Illinois.

The Justice Department is under no such limitation, so that investigation will undoubtedly continue.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Originally posted by: Woofmeister
The private class action case against Nvidia is being dropped because you have to be a direct purchaser in order to have a private anti-trust claim. That's been the law since 1977 when the U.S. Supreme Court decided the seminal case of Illinois Brick Co. v. Illinois.

The Justice Department is under no such limitation, so that investigation will undoubtedly continue.

That's interesting... Wouldn't the DoJ have to show that NV/ATI were engaged in price fixing their gpus to AIB partners? Isn't this made more complex due to the fact that the vast majority of AIBs only sell ATI or NV, and not both? I guess what I'm asking is, how can you price fix with a partner you have an exclusive deal with?

Wreckage

Banned
Jul 1, 2005
The judge denied class-status to the entirety of GPU buyers and limited it to those who purchased GPUs directly from ATI or NVIDIA online; i.e. only those that purchased on ATI.com.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Aberforth
^ I thought you never trusted Inq....

I don't. They got their info from PC Perspective.
EDIT: Oops. ViRGE already mentioned this.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Wreckage
The judge denied class-status to the entirety of GPU buyers and limited it to those who purchased GPUs directly from ATI or NVIDIA online; i.e. only those that purchased on ATI.com.

Which I am betting is only a select few.