nvidia and AMD make me VERY unhappy.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
People are getting their hackles up and not understanding the complaint. In fairness, the OP is confusing the issue with both the title and the wording of his post. The OP is complaining about features being dropped from the drivers. He can no longer force certain settings in the drivers.

I saw was terrible texture shimmering because nvidia decides it's best to screw over their customers by not allowing them to force trilinear mipmaps. They also took away the ability to force 0 frames to render ahead and I won't be surprised if it's never added back.

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I saw was terrible texture shimmering because nvidia decides it's best to screw over their customers by not allowing them to force trilinear mipmaps.

Lack of trilinear won't cause shimmering, it leaves a visible mip band.

Magic Carpet

Diamond Member
Oct 2, 2011
They shouldn't be treating their customers the way they do. In particularly their awful drivers.
The people that were behind those "features", might have changed jobs and the "new crop" has a different vision :p

I just use dosbox, whenever appropriate hardware is not available.

Last edited:

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
Lack of trilinear won't cause shimmering, it leaves a visible mip band.
I thought it did both, but then I guess I'm just retarded. That's not your fault though:) Anyway, I can see very visible lines in a static part of the title screen... but why is there shimmering? I was really wondering because I'm sure if I set the LOD bias really high in nv inspector, it wouldn't make it completely smooth.

I had thought that filtering eliminated pixelation and mipmapping smoothed the textures and prevented them from shimmering. I know that nv and AMD do their calculations differently in HW and that nvidia's hardware has exhibited less texture aliasing.

People are getting their hackles up and not understanding the complaint.
I feel like a retard now, but that's not your fault:) Anyway, try to answer the above question if it hasn't been answered by the time you read this reply:)

Last edited:

BenSkywalker

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I had thought that filtering eliminated pixelation and mipmapping smoothed the textures and prevented them from shimmering.

They are all functions of filtering, bilinear versus trilinear just indicates how the samples are being taken(4 samples from one mip map for bilinear, 4 samples each from two different mip maps with trilinear).

I know that nv and AMD do their calculations differently in HW and that nvidia's hardware has exhibited less texture aliasing.

That is mainly of anisotropic filtering, which alters the sample amounts and footprint of how the samples are taken. nV's implementation is superior to AMD's from a quality perspective.

Can you post screenshots of the game? I can probably tell you what is going on if I can see exactly what is being rendered, but I could probably fill a couple of pages of what *could* be causing shimmering and forget at least another couple pages.

Anarchist420

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2010
www.facebook.com
They are all functions of filtering, bilinear versus trilinear just indicates how the samples are being taken(4 samples from one mip map for bilinear, 4 samples each from two different mip maps with trilinear).

That is mainly of anisotropic filtering, which alters the sample amounts and footprint of how the samples are taken. nV's implementation is superior to AMD's from a quality perspective.

Can you post screenshots of the game? I can probably tell you what is going on if I can see exactly what is being rendered, but I could probably fill a couple of pages of what *could* be causing shimmering and forget at least another couple pages.
Thanks BenSkywalker.:) I'll make 2 videos (uncompressed) soon, then upload it to mediafire, and then I'll post a link.