Nvidia 9800 GX2 -- Will my power supply support it?

Oct 22, 2004
I own an Alienware system with a 750w (60amp) power supply and an Nvidia 8800GTX video card (see my signature below for full system details). I recently contacted Alienware about upgrading my video card to an Nvidia 9800 GX2, at which point I was told that given my current system configuration, I would need to upgrade to their 1000w power supply. Their price isn't bad ($640 for both the card and power supply, which includes tax, shipping, etc.), but I don't have the technical expertise to feel comfortable replacing a power supply.

Is it true that my OEM 750w (60amp) power supply wouldn't support an Nvidia 9800 GX2 video card given my current system specs, e.g., quad-core processor, 10,000RPM HDD, high speed memory, liquid cooling, etc.? Thanks!

Ben

imported_wired247

Golden Member
Jan 18, 2008
If that is 60 amps on the 12V rail, then yes you have more than enough power for the GX2, alienware will bullshit you about how much power you need, because, surprise: they like to make money overselling hardware to their customers.

If you look at reviews for the 9800 GX2, total system power is on the order of 350-370W. Even with liquid cooling and other crap, you won't even approach 750W.

Just make sure you have an 8pin pci-e connector, if not you'll need a 6pin-to-8pin adapter, can be had from various sites across the internet, BFG sells them, or you could just get the BFG card which includes the adapter in box.

mhouck

Dec 31, 2007
Like Wired said, just make sure you have the 8pin PCI-Express adapter on your PS. Not a the 8 pin CPU. I've heard good things about the BFG model and they just implemented their own step up plan too. I think they would be your best bet.