NVIDIA 750TI - HDCP Problems when there's an AV Receiver in the display chain

funks

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2000
Video Card: EVGA 750TI SC
CPU make and model: Intel i3-3225
Amount of system memory: 8 GB
Motherboard make and model: Gigabyte GA-B75M-D3H (rev 1.1)
Motherboard BIOS version: F15
Monitor(s) make and model: TV - LG 60PM6700
Sound card make and model: HDMI
Driver: 353.06 (also tried 353.12)

There seems to be a problem with NVIDIA drivers as it relates to HDCP. My video card is plugged into my receiver (Yamaha RX-A800) via HDMI, which is then plugged into my TV ( LG - 60PM6700 ). Before purchasing the card, I had an ATI HD7790 Video Card which had no issues at all.

It seems the driver has an issue when there's an AV Receiver in the middle of the chain as plugging the video card directly to the TV correctly reports HDCP support in the NVIDIA control panel.

Causes Media Center Fits when watching HD channels - when I start up Media Center (eq. Full Screen) - it gives me an error saying "HDCP is required", but when I minimize the application to "Windowed" mode, HDCP looks like it starts working and I'm able to watch TV. I am able to switch back to Full Screen mode without issues as long as I don't restart MCE.

If I start up Media Center in Windowed Mode, it gives me an error saying "HDCP is required", when I switch it "Full Screen" mode, HDCP looks like it starts working and able to watch TV. If the application is restarted, have to do the flip-flop before it starts working.

The same PC using an ATI card doesn't have any issues with HDCP, nor the PS4, and the Chromecast (which are all plugged into the AV Receiver). I replaced the HDMI cables with no effect. The Intel Built-in GPU also works just fine with HDCP.

Anybody know how to get around this issue without going back to the RED TEAM? The 750TI is being touted as a good HTPC card but most HTPC owners I know actually plug it into their AV Receiver, and having HDCP reporting issues makes the card pretty hard to work with..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktRYtjMGXC0

Last edited:

VeryCharBroiled

Oct 6, 2008
might not do anything but is the receiver fully updated firmware wise. just to take that out of the equation.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I have an almost identical configuration with an ONKYO AVR connected to my HDTV, but I don't have any problems such as those you describe.

With the French plug-in, Audio-Renderer-Updater, I'm able to switch between two 5.1 speaker systems "on the fly," one of which is my AVR. The ONKYO can be switched off to "standby" mode, so that the video still feeds through the AVR to the HDTV -- no problem. In this scenario, then, I can get the audio from a separate 5.1 Logitech speaker-set, and the video continues to display on the HDTV. In NV Control Panel, the HDTV is recognized to be my second monitor as the ONKYO model-code -- whether the latter is turned on or in standby mode.

If your problem has something to do with the Yamaha, consider the possibility of feeding the HDTV directly from the computer, so that the HDTV feeds audio to the AVR. I can only say my ONKYO also allows for doing this.

Since my NVidia cards work fine and I don't have the problem you describe, you should focus attention on either the Yamaha or the overall configuration options such as I mentioned.

Last edited:

LoveMachine

May 8, 2012
Do similar issues happen in non-WMC programs (e.g. Kodi, VLC, Windows Media PLAYER)?

This is a longshot, but try turning off Navigation Sounds in the WMC settings. For some reason, it messes up all kinds of video rendering issues.

bradly1101

Diamond Member
May 5, 2013
www.bradlygsmith.org
I have a feeling that HDCP is my problem with an older Pioneer receiver and an Nvidia 630. If the video driver isn't loaded you can see video (BIOS, startup), but as soon as the driver loads - nothing. So I run direct to TV and use the optical digital-out on the motherboard to the receiver to get it out of the video chain.

Edit: I see your mobo lacks a digital audio connector on the back panel, but there's one on the motherboard. If it didn't come with the bracket you'll need one of these.

Otherwise one of these.

Last edited:

funks

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2000
The RX-A800 has the latest firmware installed available for it (V205) installed. The HDCP reporting issue also affects POWERDVD 14, Navigation sounds is turned off on MCE..

I believe the problem has to do with NVIDIA's detection of HDMI repeaters (the AV receiver) as it relates to the Yamaha Unit. This detection issue seems to only affect NVIDIA drivers, not anything else (Intel GPU, AMD, and other devices).

Bonzai - is your AV receiver being detected as an HDMI repeater under the NVIDIA control panel?

Trying out a new AV receiver will be an expensive proposition :( How does one formally report a bug to NVIDIA? I reported the issue to EVGA and those guys just brushed me off saying they only support their cards connected directly to the display (no AV Receiver)..

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
The RX-A800 has the latest firmware installed available for it (V205) installed. The HDCP reporting issue also affects POWERDVD 14, Navigation sounds is turned off on MCE..

I believe the problem has to do with NVIDIA's detection of HDMI repeaters (the AV receiver) as it relates to the Yamaha Unit. This detection issue seems to only affect NVIDIA drivers, not anything else (Intel GPU, AMD, and other devices).

Bonzai - is your AV receiver being detected as an HDMI repeater under the NVIDIA control panel?

Trying out a new AV receiver will be an expensive proposition :( How does one formally report a bug to NVIDIA? I reported the issue to EVGA and those guys just brushed me off saying they only support their cards connected directly to the display (no AV Receiver)..

I've never come across that phrase -- "HDMI repeater" -- in the NV control panel. It just shows the ONKYO as a monitor, even though it isn't one. The ONKYO manages the HDTV to keep it separate and "undiscovered" by the Nvidia card -- which only "sees" the ONKYO whether it's on or in standby mode.

linthat22

Dec 2, 2011
When it comes to HDCP and the PC home theater environment, you're sometimes going to run into the issue you're running into because of two signal paths. Those signal paths will sometimes not jive with other hardware that has HDCP in it (your receiver). Picture looking at a 3D image without the glasses and moving the two frames together where it comes into focus. It's those "blurry" times that cause confusion in the signal (when you open Media Center a certain way) that end up getting corrected with a little bump (adjusting the Media Center window) and then things synch up.

Not sure if that helps, but it's mostly a known HDCP issue stemming from a certain hardware configuration "on-die" since Nvidia's GT440 days. To which they use today.

funks

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2000
I tried using HDMI Detective Plus by Geffen and it doesn't like HDCP passthru with that either (no receiver in the chain, just Vid Card, HDMI detective plus, and TV) - pin 4 is on to passthru HDCP.

7790 works no problem.

Last edited:

funks

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2000
Plugged in a n R9 Nano, no problems detecting HDCP.. Tried my new GTX1070, same problem as the 750TI..

I bought an HDFury Integral and gets around the issue for me ( the Integral doesn't seem to act like HDCP repeater in the normal sense ). Something is a bit funky with the way NVIDIA detects HDCP repeaters is my guess on certain AVRs (which isn't an issue with AMD and Intel GPU's).

1) Connected the A/V Receiver to the Top HDMI output port of the Integral
2) Connected the Output of the GTX1070 to the Top Input Port of the Integral
3) Turned on the TV, and the AV Receiver
4) Connected the Integral to my laptop and ran the Integral GUI
5) Downloaded the Top HDMI Output Port EDID then saved it (note, the receiver combines the EDID from the TV and itself)
5) Uploaded the saved EDID as the custom EDID (and made sure Custom EDID is selected)

Restarted. All working, expensive way of doing it though - lol. Submitted a bug report to NVIDIA, hopefully they can figure out what's going on with their HDCP repeater detection / drivers.

Last edited:

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
Does the Yamaha AVR provide "ARC" -- "Audio Return Channel?" My AVR has this feature, and -- if I wanted, I could run my HDMI cable directly to the HDTV, choose "TV/CD" for my AVR input device with the TV still connected to the "Main [TV/Monitor] Out" HDMI port on the AVR. I think an HDMI port on the TV is also labeled "ARC." Then your computer and WMC would "see" the TV, but the audio stream would go to the AVR.

Honestly, I had seen this as an option for my own rig, but I have it configured like yours. I've yet to experiment with it. However, this is the sort of possibility that might also resolve your troubles with the Yamaha.