Nvidia 6600GT artifacting

P0pinjay

Feb 6, 2005
So I have an OLD Nvidia 6600GT that I haven't gamed with in quite a while. In a moment of nostalgia I thought it'd be cool to play some Civilization. I had never played Civilization IV and I found it online for 5 bucks so I figured, why not?

Started playing and about 5 minutes later my computer locked up. Rebooted, tried to play again and I get artifacting in the game. Great. Tried the latest Nvidia driver, same problem. Poked around in the Nvidia control panel and found this.

Furmark did the same thing.

I'm thinking the card has just bit the dust for 3D stuff but I thought I'd check on here to see if anyone had any better ideas...

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that looks like memory corruption issues.

R.I.P. 6600gt. I had one and loved it!

dflynchimp

Apr 11, 2007
probably overheating. I had a 7900GT that I OCed to 550 (up from 450) on the core, which was pretty suicidal in the first place. It ran fine for about a year and a half before starting to artifact on me.

P0pinjay

Feb 6, 2005
Originally posted by: BassBomb
what are its temps like? might be overheating

They're approaching 80C. See the graph at the bottom of the furmark screenshot I posted.

error8

Diamond Member
Nov 28, 2007
Mine was always topping around 83-85 C and that with the Leadtek mega aluminium heatsink. I even touched it once, during gaming and it pealed my skin off. :)
It was a great card when I got it but it grew old so soon ( FEAR and Call of duty 2 didn worked maxed out because of the lack of vram :( )

truare

Sep 24, 2010
i had same problem with artifacts on most of the games with my geforce 6600, tried all kind of fixes but the only one that worked for me was installing 66.70 drivers. Completely uninstal your card , reboot system and install 66.70 drivers with windows method through .inf file. Not with an nvidia setup file. After that you don't have nvidia control panel in display settings but all ingame graphics are normal.