NVIDIA 399.24 WHQL Fixed 2990WX Game performance Issues(update:PCPER Tested)

CatMerc

Golden Member
Jul 16, 2016
I have to ask, why anyone would buy an $1800 cpu with 32 cores for gaming. Or even buy one for other uses, and then game on it.
A workstation that you also game on? It doesn't need to be the best at gaming, but the 2990WX showed just abysmal results in many cases.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
A workstation that you also game on? It doesn't need to be the best at gaming, but the 2990WX showed just abysmal results in many cases.
Abysmal gaming results ? Who cares about that, my previous comment stands.

Reactions: Drazick

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Yea workstations should just workstation... most game's aren't going to use more than 4 cores at 100% anyway. You'd be better off with a cheaper chip using less power and making less heat.

Thala

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2014
Yea workstations should just workstation... most game's aren't going to use more than 4 cores at 100% anyway. You'd be better off with a cheaper chip using less power and making less heat.

That is not the point. What is if you have/need a workstation with an high-end NVidia GPU anyway? Why invest into a gaming PC in addition to the workstation?

Reactions: NTMBK and amenx

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
That is not the point. What is if you have/need a workstation with an high-end NVidia GPU anyway? Why invest into a gaming PC in addition to the workstation?
Generally actual workstations are "workstationing" for their entire shift, be it 8 hours or 24 hours, and doing important work, and there's no time for gaming.

I would say that if you are gaming on it, it's not really a workstation.

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Generally actual workstations are "workstationing" for their entire shift, be it 8 hours or 24 hours, and doing important work, and there's no time for gaming.

I would say that if you are gaming on it, it's not really a workstation.

So if a person uses their workstation all day for work, plays a game or two at night, in the end it's not a workstation....I call BS!

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Mah the fact is that there is a patch for it to address the issue.

And i can think of a lot of people who game on a 7980XE and that too can be considered a $2,000 "workstation" cpu.

There are also a lot of people who game on Xeon's with ECC Reg ram as well, and those are full bloated workstation PC's.

People game on MAC Pro's and that is about as workstationish as you can get.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
I think at this point it's all subjective. Kinda like those who choose to buy a car because it's fast and then drive it only to church on Sundays at 30mph

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
I think at this point it's all subjective. Kinda like those who choose to buy a car because it's fast and then drive it only to church on Sundays at 30mph

i think its a little different, because a fast car can go fast, but i get your notion.

Marks case is that the processor was never intended as a gaming processor, hence gaming is wasted on it.
For example, i havent heard any jokes about "can it play crysis" on TR2.

SPBHM

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2012
some people still do 3d rendering on a quad core, some people will game on this,

it makes no sense to buy it for gaming, but, if you bought it for rendering work and will play some games at times, it's good that the performance is not absolutely horrible,

Kenmitch

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
But if you are a gamer, even if you can afford a 2990wx, you would also have a secondary computer in the house with a 7700k or an 8700k for gaming. The 32 core monster is for serious work only, it sucks at gaming compared to those 2.

Your rigs are true work horses 24/7 once up and running. I think that's why you view it as a little on the silly side.

You need to remember that there is a difference between a gamer and somebody that plays a game once in a while.

I'd imagine many 2990wx rigs that were not intentionally built for gaming have the ability due to build requirements. Yours never would, but could as an example.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
So if a person uses their workstation all day for work, plays a game or two at night, in the end it's not a workstation....I call BS!

My opinion can't be BS, though. It's just my opinion of the situation.

I personally would never game on a work computer. Not even a regular office desktop work computer, let alone a purpose built workstation.

Reactions: Markfw

Thala

Golden Member
Nov 12, 2014
My opinion can't be BS, though. It's just my opinion of the situation.

I personally would never game on a work computer. Not even a regular office desktop work computer, let alone a purpose built workstation.

There is still no reason why a workstation, in particular when equipped with a high end NVidia GPU solution needs to suck at gaming. And again there should be no need to invest in a separate gaming rig, when you consider that the NVidia graphic cards alone go for 1000$+ each.
For everything i need to run 24/7 i go to the cloud or a server farm and do not use my (private) workstation for.

Reactions: lightmanek

lightmanek

Feb 19, 2017
My take on this is - nVidia had a bug (or lack of optimization) for high core count NUMA systems. They fixed it swiftly and that's it. There is no saying it only affected games, as potentially it could affect other productivity tools with 3D viewports. Kudos to them for fixing it!

People should be free to use their rigs as it suits them, even for gaming on a server if they want to.
It would be a minority, but happy to see that nVidia is looking after that minority.

Now we need someone to retest games on TR2990WX side by side with old and new drivers!

Reactions: csbin

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I have to ask, why anyone would buy an $1800 cpu with 32 cores for gaming. Or even buy one for other uses, and then game on it.

I've been gaming off a VM that runs on my server in my basement...and then runs wires to my living room TV. I'm not an $1800 cpu kind of guy but I could see some one buying this to use as a multiple headed VM host that ran games.

BigDaveX

Jun 12, 2014
To be fair, judging by the Linux results I suspect it's actually a combination of various factors - drivers, bad decisions by the scheduler, Windows 10's NUMA support potentially still being a bit shonky - that are driving down the 2990WX's gaming performance, rather than any particular flaw with the chip.

I agree that anyone who says you shouldn't buy a 2990WX because it has bad gaming performance is probably missing the point unless there are some very specific requirements involved, but saying "It's not targeted at gamers so you're not allowed to criticize its gaming performance"... well, that line of reasoning didn't fly for Skylake-X.

Reactions: lightmanek

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That's not the point. What if you've invested in a game console with 8 cores, and you need a workstation? I like to make sure that my game consoles can all double as workstations as needed too!

Oh wait, you mean, game consoles, and workstations, are different? You don't say...

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
So, some of you would game on a workstation computer that is your livelyhood, even if the game locked the computer up, and you lost valuable data files.

Not me. Thats the reason for a separate gaming computer. Oh, and I actually have that scenario at my house. Now my gamer is running BOINC, but its one of 18 doing so, and not really work, even though its a dual Xeon x5570 box with 16 threads and 8 cores.

Reactions: Drazick

Justinus

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2005
So, some of you would game on a workstation computer that is your livelyhood, even if the game locked the computer up, and you lost valuable data files.

Not me. Thats the reason for a separate gaming computer. Oh, and I actually have that scenario at my house. Now my gamer is running BOINC, but its one of 18 doing so, and not really work, even though its a dual Xeon x5570 box with 16 threads and 8 cores.

And what if your productivity software locked your workstation up and you lost valuable data files? Or your operating system locked up and you lost valuable data files? Or any of your hardware components failed and you lost valuable data files?

This is why you back up valuable data files no matter how much you treat your workstation like it's made of crystal. Some of us are allowed to or are required to game on our workstations for testing and research purposes. Is it somehow different if I'm playing the fresh build I just ran to test a new feature or fix, or if I've loaded up other games that have similar features or have solved problems I face to see how they managed their implementations?

Is that somehow any different than launching a game to play for fun?

At that point, I think you're arguing about intent. That workstations aren't meant for recreation?

Last edited:

HutchinsonJC

Apr 15, 2007
I agree that BACKUPS is the answer to the question of losing valuable data files.

In 2012 when I bought my 3960x with intent of overclocking it, it was more of a workstation class machine than it was a gaming rig by most people's standards. Didn't stop me from gaming on it.