NV 411.70 out

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
...and kill the 10xx and 9xx performance even more.
Any reason that every new driver that NVidia comes out with, the old cards take a performance hit.
OH wait I get it...$$$$$$$$$

Last edited:

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
...and kill the 10xx and 9xx performance even more.
Any reason that every new driver that NVidia comes out with, the old cards take a performance hit.
OH wait I get it...$$$$$$$$$
I've never believed that, and never seen convincing evidence of it.

Reactions: coercitiv

Orange Kid

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
I use my cards mostly for Distributed Computing projects. With every successive driver update since the 400 series of drivers have come out the times to complete work units has increased by about a third. NVidia is severely crippling the OpenCL on the older cards with their new drivers. You probably won't notice it on games, but when you are running it at 100% over long periods of time doing discrete compute, it is there.
Tell me that isn't done by design, so people will go out and buy the new cards. Of course it is, it is the American way now. Look a what Apple has admitted to doing to their iPhones (over load them with an operating system that wears out the battery faster, making people want to get the newer, faster ones). NVidia is doing the same with their drivers. In an essence they are no longer supporting the older cards that will run any game on the market as well as a new card at half the price.

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
I use my cards mostly for Distributed Computing projects. With every successive driver update since the 400 series of drivers have come out the times to complete work units has increased by about a third. NVidia is severely crippling the OpenCL on the older cards with their new drivers. You probably won't notice it on games, but when you are running it at 100% over long periods of time doing discrete compute, it is there.
Tell me that isn't done by design, so people will go out and buy the new cards. Of course it is, it is the American way now. Look a what Apple has admitted to doing to their iPhones (over load them with an operating system that wears out the battery faster, making people want to get the newer, faster ones). NVidia is doing the same with their drivers. In an essence they are no longer supporting the older cards that will run any game on the market as well as a new card at half the price.
I believe people would sue. A lawyer would certainly take that at least as a class action claim if evidence were compiled, which should be easy to do.
People will sue at the drop of a hat in the USA.
Lawyers love class action lawsuits.
NV would not like the publicity.

And if people and companies believe NV is crippling their cards, they should sue over it.

I would join a class action suit if I felt that way, even if only on principle.

coercitiv

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2014
It wouldn't make sense either, as gimping 1070 and 1080 performance would make Vega 56 & 64 jump in relative performance and immediately highlight the tactic on the first day of RTX reviews. You can't gimp your own (old gen) cards during a new product launch and not make your competitor look extremely good in the press coverage surrounding a high profile GPU launch.

When testing for performance loss due to driver change, all other variables must remain the same: same OS, same patches, and exactly the same load. In the case of the performance loss near the 2080Ti launch, it turned out Windows received an update around the same time which included a CPU security patch (Spectre variants). This led to the performance drop on systems that had not been previously patched.

mohit9206

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2013
Sorry but its true. Kepler card performance in today's games are far behind the Pascal cards. GTX 770 behind 960, 780Ti lagging behind 970, etc in modern games. How much more evidence do you need. No idea whether Pascal cards will be gimped in future or not

LTC8K6

Lifer
Mar 10, 2004
Sorry but its true. Kepler card performance in today's games are far behind the Pascal cards. GTX 770 behind 960, 780Ti lagging behind 970, etc in modern games. How much more evidence do you need. No idea whether Pascal cards will be gimped in future or not
How could Kepler keep up with Pascal?