NV 30 !!! OMG

Detselom

Jun 21, 2002
I just saw some stats on the nv 30 and it blows my mind.

the lowdown

- Zero (0) performance cost using 4X FSAA
- 4-1 Color Compression Technique
- 16 Textures/Pixel Per Pass
- 900MHz DDR is still a go
- Multi Chip capable
- Firewire Port

Just the 4X FSAA without a performance hit is unbelievable. I am gonna be the first to get one.

nvidia will soon rule the world!!!

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
does this mean my stock is gonna start going up? or the huge inventory of ti4600's i need to sell this summer, gonna be worthless. OH man. its both good and bad.

btw my nvidia stock is currently down 46% from its 1.5 month ago purchase price. Nvidia better eat ATI alive....

Brian48

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
Firewire? Although it shouldn't matter, I wonder how this will work with existing firewire or Audigy cards. I guess there would two separate connections once installed. Not crazy about this idea as this means the nv30/nv40 will occupy two separate IRQ's now.

Actaeon

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2000
I wonder if its true.

Alot of these spec sheets are just rumors.

*Shrug* Just wait and see.

SithSolo1

Diamond Member
Mar 19, 2001
Looks cool but... I'm a give ATI 1 more chance.
My last Nvidia basted card was an STB 16MB TNT1. Probably the best d@mn card, for the money, I every haD.
If the R300 can't cut it, I'm coming back over. ;)

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I'll be impressed when I see reason to believe it's anything more then the typically extravagant rumours that fly around for any graphics card prior to release.
Until then it's of little more then mild interest, and given that this is particularly vauge and 3D Chipset has posted similar wild rumours in the past I see no reason to get terribly excited about this.

They've been posting some pretty wild comments about ATi lately too.

SilverWerewolf

Jul 5, 2002
Waiting to see if the rumors about the nv30 really go through is the best route to take.

Best way not to get disapointed.

:)

XaosII

Jun 23, 2002
apparently the great Anandtech effect has made them pull off the information :)

i have no clue what was said

Binge

Nov 19, 2001

"I've received some information regarding the NV30, NV31 and some insight of the NV40 Nvidia is working on. First off though, the NV30 is AGP 8X and it's still a go with 900MHz DDR memory. Also what is now known is that the NV30 is multi chip capable. The number of chips is an odd number. That's all I can say without giving out the exact number. I'll say this though. It's under 8. With regards to FSAA performance the NV30 has a zero (0) performance cost using 4X FSAA. Specifications have been discussed and the NV30 is able to churn out 16 textures/pixel per pass. The NV30 also uses a 4-1 colour compression technique. Nvidia has explained to us/me that the performance we all will see with the NV30 is about double the performance of the Xbox/GF Ti4600. Another feature that is not known to the public is the use of IEE 1394 or known as Firewire will be on NV30 video cards. What this feature is for wasn't discussed thoroughly and all we know is that it has to do with the hardware mpeg2 acceleration built into the chip."

<shrugs> rumors are fun - but just that....wait n see if Nvidia can do it.
But the wait really sucks.

nemo160

Jul 16, 2001
the firewire makes sense for digital video in i suppose, maybe it'll be an optional model
if the zero loss 4x fsaa is true..very nice
multiple chips?? could be the integration of some of 3dfx's tech, but i'd think that would send the price up quite quickly, tons of traces to run and the gf4 is already an 8 layer pcb i think
if true..very cool
too bad i'll maybe finally have the cash for a gf4 by then :(
stupid college

aznmist

Golden Member
Dec 7, 2000
- Zero (0) performance cost using 4X FSAA

I remeber another vid card claiming this as well but failing to live up to it. Nothing is free guys...performance just doesn't come outta nowhere.

BFG10K

Lifer
Aug 14, 2000
Of course I'm impressed (especially with 16 texels per pipe per pass) but I'll be even more impressed when:

(1) The specs are confirmed.
(2) The real world performance blows away a Ti4600 by a significant margin.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
4x FSAA with zero performance hit? Is that possible in theory?

It would be nice to get a card that performs significantly better than the 4600, I might then have a chance at playing GTA3 with ALL the goodies turned on.