Nuts, I gotta ungeek. Suggestions? (*update* No need to ungeek anymore!*)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Grab an old geezer or minority mother with 30 children have them pretend to be you and call the local news station "call for action or whatever" line, they get on TV and moan about how they cant pay, wait for the donation money to roll in.

LordRaiden

Banned
Dec 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Graphicd00d
How do they know you are not up to code if they haven't been down to inspect?
Actually, the county clerk put out a notice that everyone in certain areas was required to have the entire house inspected by the county and city inspectors to see if there were any things in my house that needed to be brought up to code. They've got enough of a problem with people in our area keeping their house up to code that they did a forced inspection to catch any and all offenders. So they had on record what my house had for plumbing, wiring, etc. So when they put out this new requirement they had all of us on record for what we had in our houses and could throw these at us.

Armitage

Banned
Feb 23, 2001
Originally posted by: LordRaiden
Originally posted by: Graphicd00d
How do they know you are not up to code if they haven't been down to inspect?
Actually, the county clerk put out a notice that everyone in certain areas was required to have the entire house inspected by the county and city inspectors to see if there were any things in my house that needed to be brought up to code. They've got enough of a problem with people in our area keeping their house up to code that they did a forced inspection to catch any and all offenders. So they had on record what my house had for plumbing, wiring, etc. So when they put out this new requirement they had all of us on record for what we had in our houses and could throw these at us.

Wow ... I've never heard of anything like that. For commercial buildings, or rental units, sure. But not residential!

I gotta say though ... my bullsh|t meter is twitching a bit on the claim that There's only one company in the entire county who is qualified to do it.
How sure are you that this letter really came from the county clerk?? How do you know there is only one company that can do it?

What exactly has to be done?!?

Have you been following the local paper? Sounds like there should be an uproar about this?

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Where the f*** do you live, in some backwards a$$, commie community? How the heck did they force their way in to do the initial inspection (where they had all your data)? And what kind of law doesn't grandfather in already constructed homes.

It wouldn't surprise me if this contractor is in bed with one of the county judges who passed this assinine ordinance. I would seek some legal help before selling all of your prized possessions.

Ynog

Golden Member
Oct 9, 2002
Need Money??

Seriously if you had the money to get either of those two things. You should have no problem with $7500 complicance upgrades for your house.

LordRaiden

Banned
Dec 10, 2002
Well, just called the county clerk's office and got a rather interesting surprise. This is kinda how the conversation went.

*ring*ring* "County clerks office"
Me: "Yes, I recieved a letter in the mail today about a required inspection and code upgrade."
Clerk: ".......oh great. Not another one."
Me: "Huh???"
Clerk: "What's the inspection code on the paper say?"
Me: "CC215-Mash177"
Clerk: *sigh* Our apologies sir. We didn't discover until about an hour ago that this had gone out."
Me: "Huh??"
Clerk: "It was a computer glitch sir. You can ignore the note."
Me: "Uh, ok. So why when I called in earlier did someone tell me that I had to get a whole bunch of upgrades and it would cost $7500??"
Clerk: "I don't know sir. This was just a computer mistake and whoever you talked to may have thought it was real."
Me: "Uh, ok."
Clerk: "Thank you for calling and good day." *click*

Computer glitch? That's gotta be one H*LL of a computer glitch. Apparently half the county got mailed with this notice and yet they never noticed it until today? Bah. I say something fishy is going on up at the county clerk's office. But oh well. At least I don't have to pay the money now. :D

Hmm, now to decide if I should still get rid of a few PC's or not. I know a CC company that would love to see a nice large lump sum payment to them. :)

CrazyDe1

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
You're terrible at managing money...you buy all these computers yet your cards are all maxed out. What happens if you lose your job? The want to finance an aston martin too???

2nd, if it were me I'd just hope they wouldnt' come and inspect and if they did I'd pretend not to be home. If they did get in somehow I'd schedule a bunch of appointments w/ contractors to look like I was doing something....

LordRaiden

Banned
Dec 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Ynog
Need Money??

Seriously if you had the money to get either of those two things. You should have no problem with $7500 complicance upgrades for your house.
You obviously don't read my updates. The car was something I thought I could afford, then someone pointed out the combined total payments per month just to own that car and I quickly realized it was outside my budget, unlike my initial calculations which were way too low. So no, I not gonna buy one and can't afford one. In fact I'm still planning on ditching a few PC's and just going pauper style for a while to try and knock down some bills.