Nutrition and Exercise Question

gordita

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2001
a little history: I am 6'0 tall and was about 205 lb. around dec 2001. (27% bodyfat)
Then, I started playing tennis again and started going to a gym
Then,I started a programme called BFL (body for life) for about 8 weeks around march-april of 2002.

My weight dropped down to about 170lb (18%bodyfat)

These days, I goto the gym about 3-4 times a week and play tennis once a week.

My question is, I do see some muscle definition ,primarily around my sholuders,chest,biceps and tris but the tires around my waist, they still exists even though they are reduced (because i went from buying size 38 dockers to size 33 or 34 now).

I want to go on to the next higher level in terms of lifting more weight, seeing more definition, and reducing that goddammn all-season tire from around my waist.

do these whey protein and all other stuff really work?

for the first time in my life, when I started the BFL programme, I started with Protein bars and shakes
I still have a protein bar daily and have a shake occaissionally, but apart from that, I've never taken any other supplements like Betalean or cell-tech stuff..

Also, I feel that my internal power to lift more weights is not increasing. this maybe due to the fact that I'm not regular on my workouts or I'm not eating right.
I always have 5 meals a day starting with a medium to heavy breakfast and then a mid morning snack, then lunch, then pre-workout snack and then my workout and then dinner.
I'm a vegetarian but I also have 'chicken' for meat sometimes.....I love chicken!
the BFL programme did teach me a great thing and that is to have atleast 5 meals/day and no tacobells/fast foods/pizza

what I really want is to lose fat from around my waist and put some muscle on my shoulders and chest.

any suggestions..?

Jackhole

Dec 3, 1999
I took a nutrition class in college. Basically you need to do aerobic exercises, not anaeorbic (weightlifting). You need to run at least 20 min before your body is done using up the sugars in your body as energy and start converting the fat into energy. Be sure to eat protein with minimal fat and carbos. Protein is the key. The order your body consumes energy is carbos (sugars) and then fat. If you eat mostly protein, your body will be forced into using it's fat stores for energy. Carbos are for instant energy whereas fat is for long-term energy.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Sounds like you're on a good balanced diet now, down 35 lb. and more muscle mass -- good work!

do these whey protein and all other stuff really work?
Most extreme diets have nasty side effects -- people died from the all-protein diets, Atkins causes constipation and other unpleasantness.

Maybe you should try adding more abs-area exercises before you try some liver-damaging fad that could undo some of your existing healthy gains.

slikmunks

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2001
whey protein is great... high protein is great, but drink lots and lots of water... if you want to lose the spare tire, do cardio. It sucks, but that's the way to do it... btw, tennis != cardio unless you're playing some damn intense tennis... as for you not being able to lift more, you've hit a "plateu" and you just need to start varying your exercises... maybe doing barbells instead of dumbells or vice versa... maybe inclines vs. declines vs. flat, try different motions, different styles, and that sort of stuff. Most importantly, get a workout partner to push the hell out of you...

Apr 5, 2000
What everyone else said - you probably already have a good body, but just covered in a little bit too much fat. Up your cardio to get rid of the excess body fat.

Protein supplements are for those who can't get enough protein in their diet. That and to meet the "required" 1 gm/per lb of body weight. If you're not seeing your strength improve you may need to add more protein to your diet or just add more weight on or vary your excercises to keep your muscles getting.

I'm kind of in the same place right now - stuck in a rut, a little too much bodyfat. (Attributed to the holiday weight gain though, will hit the gym next week)

And you may want to post what excercises you do on what day so we could help critique it

gordita

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2001
yup...hitting the weights with a partner is the key.
but I don't think i will be able to get one.......maybe in due time.

also, this might sound very strange but here it goes:
when you are right in the middle of doing a set, what are you actually thinking about.
A lot of times, I would be bench-pressing and after 3-4 reps, I would start thinking about work or a fight with my gf or some stupid movie or something.
is it strange?

cjchaps

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2000
You are going to get a ton of differents answers on this board, so be prepared, hehehe. Here is mine:

Make sure you are letting your body heal and recovery after your weight lifting workouts. You should workout your major muscle groups more than once a week or so. You need to let the muscle tissue heal before your start tearing it again. I also recommend that you basically try to watch your calorie intake, and not focus soo much on getting all protien. Vegetarian animals sure seem to have enough muscle on them(cows), and you don't see them eating large amounts of protein. Good luck with your workouts.

Also, you might want to consult a personal trainer if you want professional advice :)

Rudee

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I just want to add that definition doesn't come from exercise, but from diet. Keep at it!

Spac3d

Banned
Jul 3, 2001
What did you think of BFL? I think I know what you mean, but I have only heard of the 12 week program:confused:

Spac3d

gordita

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2001
BFL was great to make me start thinking on nutrition and exercises and proper weight lifting techniques.
you could say 'it opened my eyes' to a whole different level.
however, once I got into a rhythm, I did my own nutrition and exercise programme that i felt comfortable with.

I usually do Chest and Tris on the same day, then Back and biceps, then shoulders and legs.
and I try to do cardio about 2 times/week.

having said that, I think I achieved much better results when I stuck with the BFL routine.......but i'm positive I can come up with something that really improves me more.
goddam rut.......hate it!

PG

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 1999
Holy crap, eat someting. I'm only 5'6" and I weigh more than you do. Go to Cyberpump.com, hardgainer.com, or naturalstrength.com to learn more about getting stronger and bigger.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Definetly do more cardio than 2 times a week. Try changing your weightlifting routine and mix it up little. And change it every 4-6 weeks thereafter. Maybe that will help you get out of the rut.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
gordita: your a guy right? just curious why you picked the spanish feminine form of the word as your screen name.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
It's not surprising you don't have the definition you want. Although 18% isn't high (low for a lot of adults in fact), to really see some definition you'll want to drop it down a good bit more - low teens at least. Afterall you still have 30 lbs of fat on you.

Figure out your daily caloric maintenance level (howstuffworks.com in the fitness/health section has a calorie counter in one of their "how diets work" links) and from that number subtract at least 500 calories. Also aim to do cardio 4-6 times/week for a good half hour. Feel free to do much more if you enjoy it (lol!). Consume your food evenly spaced throughout the day in about 5 meals, high protein for each and every one of them. Once you've lost a healthy amount of fat you can concentrate on muscle building properly. Losing fat and gaining muscle at the same time is not very realistic so pick one.

Of course do weights while losing fat to minimize any muscle loss. Then, when done the diet, up your calories ensuring a high protein intake and doing weights frequently.

I wouldn't really recommend any supplement at this point beyond a protein supplement (you can get a cheap bulk one from GNC). The weight loss tablets are effective, but you don't want to build a dependency on them such that you start to believe you "need" them to lose weight. Prove to yourself you can do it properly first before going to those for the extra weight loss.

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
First off congrats on ur success so far and dont get discouraged, you will get to where u want to be just keep it up

Are you working out with anyone?
Are u just using the machines or the free weights?

If you want to see more definition fast as in bulking up and getting bigger, start doign free weight reps with people that are lifting heavier than u, it will encourage you and you will begin to lift heavier.

I have always worked out with my buddy and we encourage each other and challenge each other. its weird cuz its like a peer pressure to show up and work out, you will feel ur missing out or flaking if u dont show up for your workout since they depend on you for spotting and such.

basically heavy weights low reps for bulk
lighter weights and higher reps for lean look.

Its a good thing to mix them up a bit once in a while too

we always do chest and triceps one day, then back and biceps the next then, legs the next and we do minimum 40 minutes on the bike to finish off the day

gordita

Golden Member
Mar 24, 2001
Originally posted by: BooGiMaN
gordita: your a guy right? just curious why you picked the spanish feminine form of the word as your screen name.

once, my co-worker accidentally called me 'gordita' at Tacobell.
now, my last name also starts with a 'gor'....so it kinda sounds same.........

since that day, everyone at work calls me 'gordita'
even layoffs did not change this.... :eek:(

Ameesh

Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: PG
Holy crap, eat someting. I'm only 5'6" and I weigh more than you do. Go to Cyberpump.com, hardgainer.com, or naturalstrength.com to learn more about getting stronger and bigger.

Holy Crap youre short!

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
dude that sucks...they are calling u lil fat girl...work out get strong and kick their ass everytime they try calling u that.. and for gosh sakes chaneg your nickname!

Broohaha

Banned
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Ameesh
Originally posted by: PG Holy crap, eat someting. I'm only 5'6" and I weigh more than you do. Go to Cyberpump.com, hardgainer.com, or naturalstrength.com to learn more about getting stronger and bigger.
Holy Crap youre short!

hey! i'm only 5'6" too