Nurses (yes, nurses) lead charge for Wall Street 'sin' tax

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
So the nurses union organizes their nurses to protest everything the union doesnt like? I find that really hard to believe!

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
You really don't think most people agree with their view that Wall Street robbed this country? I supposed you also believe the 1% did not gut the middle class in this country by shipping a multitude of jobs offshore despite posting record profits?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
You really don't think most people agree with their view that Wall Street robbed this country? I supposed you also believe the 1% did not gut the middle class in this country by shipping a multitude of jobs offshore despite posting record profits?

Oh I think most people may believe that. But like most people their rage is misplaced. They want to place it at the feet of wall street and ignore the elephant in the room which is big govt. Without big govt, wallstreet crumbles and cant rob the middle class. The middle class isnt being gutted by the 1%. It is being gutted by big govt inflating away its debt at the cost of the middle class. It is being gutted by govt enacting so many laws and barriers to entry the jobs go elsewhere.

And what are the chances big labor would attack big govt except when big govt isnt returning the bribe fast enough?

Anyways the whole logic of it is just mind numbingly stupid. Lets fix corruption and collusion between big business and big govt by erecting bigger govt.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
So you really don't think the 1% had anything to do with shipping millions of jobs to other countries? Really?

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Ugh, I see the G-8 summit has attracted every group of crackpots imaginable.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
At least tax hedge fund managers at income tax rates and not carried interest on other people's capital.

Apr 27, 2012
When will people understand that GOVERNMENT was responsible for the Wall Street Crisis, if they didn't get involved this wouldn't have happened

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
When will people understand that GOVERNMENT was responsible for the Wall Street Crisis, if they didn't get involved this wouldn't have happened

Yes government deregulation brought it to a head but the 1% gutting the middle class out of this country sure didn't help either; in fact it served to really set up the Crisis.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Oh I think most people may believe that. But like most people their rage is misplaced. They want to place it at the feet of wall street and ignore the elephant in the room which is big govt. Without big govt, wallstreet crumbles and cant rob the middle class. The middle class isnt being gutted by the 1%. It is being gutted by big govt inflating away its debt at the cost of the middle class. It is being gutted by govt enacting so many laws and barriers to entry the jobs go elsewhere.

And what are the chances big labor would attack big govt except when big govt isnt returning the bribe fast enough?

Anyways the whole logic of it is just mind numbingly stupid. Lets fix corruption and collusion between big business and big govt by erecting bigger govt.

Yeh, Wall St couldn't rob people blind in the era of the Robber Barons, could they?

Shee-it, Sherlock, it was only the tenets of the New Deal that gave us any chance at all, not libertopian tomfoolery.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

Utterly inaccurate. Financial crises predate govt involvement & regulation entirely. They were often more frequent & more severe prior to the New Deal-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Financial_crisis

We're now living in the post New Deal era, just the way Repubs wanted it, and we're paying the price.

Apr 27, 2012
Yes government deregulation brought it to a head but the 1% gutting the middle class out of this country sure didn't help either; in fact it served to really set up the Crisis.

You just dont get it. There was no deregulation, they cut very little regulations but then put in much more. The government subsidized the risk for banks so banks gave out more loans. If government didn't get involved this wouldn't have happened.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
You just dont get it. There was no deregulation, they cut very little regulations but then put in much more. The government subsidized the risk for banks so banks gave out more loans. If government didn't get involved this wouldn't have happened.

It wasn't the govt that drove excessive risk taking, but rather greed & the enormous compensation for financial execs, aided & abetted by the Bush admin notion that banks could be self regulating.

Those execs didn't care if they rode their corporate steeds into the dirt, because they were getting theirs in the meanwhile in enormous measure. Only in enormous risk could they receive enormous compensation, and it wasn't their money at risk, anyway, but OPM.

March the company up to the edge of a precipice for a $50M bonus? If you think that kind of proposition wasn't irresistible to the psychopaths who've come to run finance, I might be able to sell you some Arizona oceanfront.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Wait - STOP THE PRESSES!!!! NEW HEADLINE!!!!

A Union is protesting against Businesses!

News at 11.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
At least tax hedge fund managers at income tax rates and not carried interest on other people's capital.

This is 100% a great idea.

As to the original post. I might have more respect for them if they include such glaring inaccuracies as
Their pitch: impose a tax of 50 cents on every $100 of trades of stocks, bonds, dividends and other financial transactions, which are not currently taxed.

Dividends are not a trade :\

And then this is complete BS

A coalition of nurses’ unions is calling for a “Robin Hood” tax on Wall Street, which they say could generate up to $350 billion a year, in the first major protest ahead of this weekend’s NATO summit in Chicago.

After tax income for various major banks
JPM: 18.9B
BAC: 1.4B
GS: 4.4B
MS: 4.7B
C: 11.1B
TD: 5.7B
WF: 16.2B

Where in the world is this $350B coming from?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
This is 100% a great idea.

As to the original post. I might have more respect for them if they include such glaring inaccuracies as

Dividends are not a trade :\

And then this is complete BS

After tax income for various major banks
JPM: 18.9B
BAC: 1.4B
GS: 4.4B
MS: 4.7B
C: 11.1B
TD: 5.7B
WF: 16.2B

Where in the world is this $350B coming from?

It's coming from taxing transactions rather than profits, if I'm reading it right- essentially sales tax on financial instruments.

An expanded version of taxing transactions-

http://www.apttax.com/

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
It's coming from taxing transactions rather than profits, if I'm reading it right- essentially sales tax on financial instruments.

An expanded version of taxing transactions-

http://www.apttax.com/

I understand how it works, but if the government is taking in $350B in taxes then logically the profits being made will decrease right?

And it appears that the profits are a lot less than $350B...

Not to mention that the real problem is with financial instruments that are traded less often.

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
I understand how it works, but if the government is taking in $350B in taxes then logically the profits being made will decrease right?

And it appears that the profits are a lot less than $350B...

Not to mention that the real problem is with financial instruments that are traded less often.

In reality most of us don't give a shit. I would tax them 50% after the bullshit they pulled. This country already clearly voted FOR an economic collapse once but OUR government bailed out people who ended up getting multi-million dollar bonuses AGAIN afterwards. How long do you really think the rest of this country is going to put up with that shit?

We will see Wall Street burn before our lives are over, you can bet on that.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
In reality most of us don't give a shit. I would tax them 50% after the bullshit they pulled. This country already clearly voted FOR an economic collapse once but OUR government bailed out people who ended up getting multi-million dollar bonuses AGAIN afterwards. How long do you really think the rest of this country is going to put up with that shit?

We will see Wall Street burn before our lives are over, you can bet on that.

Liberals complaining about bail outs :D

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Liberals complaining about bail outs :D

As if there was a choice to bail Detroit after the mess the Pubs left for Obama to clean up in '08. You people are going down, either by vote or by war but it IS going to happen. People in this country will not accept this crap anymore. We know what this country could be if people like you weren't running it. Life is not a mathematical equation dude, wake up.

I grew up believing the same nonsense you worship but I have lived enough life and been outside of that sheltered life to know that it is all propagandized bullshit. The only thing free about the Free Market is the money that freely flows into the top 1% and disappears, not TRICKLES DOWN, BUT DISAPPEARS.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
As if there was a choice to bail Detroit after the mess the Pubs left for Obama to clean up in '08. You people are going down, either by vote or by war but it IS going to happen. People in this country will not accept this crap anymore. We know what this country could be if people like you weren't running it. Life is not a mathematical equation dude, wake up.

I grew up believing the same nonsense you worship but I have lived enough life and been outside of that sheltered life to know that it is all propagandized bullshit. The only thing free about the Free Market is the money that freely flows into the top 1% and disappears, not TRICKLES DOWN, BUT DISAPPEARS.

Clearly the way to fix finance is to listen to people that think you can increase taxes on Wall Street by $350B and that classify dividends as transactions :\

And I dont worship the free market.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
I'd say the crisis occurred because Government didn't fully do their job. Not totally enforcing laws but also not enacting new ones to curtail the questionable activity caused the crisis.

Last edited:

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
They're uninformed. Take away Wall Street's central bank and they'd be fuck out of luck.
That and putting a money transfer tax hurts middle class people just as much or possibly more than it hurts rich people.
rich guy: I get paid $20,000,000 to fuck up the company! weeee!!!
average worker: they're taxing my retirement fund so I can't retire :\
I just look at my dad as an example. He's a pretty regular joe and he does lots of buying and selling of stocks. He's been planning retirement for decades so he has quite a bit to toss around. Adding an extra 0.5% on each transaction would really muck things up.

Also, that's not what a sin tax is. Sin tax is when you tax things that are fun or enjoyable. Tax on alcohol is sin tax. Tax on cigarettes is sin tax. Tax on prostitution is sin tax.