Number of Civilian deaths in Afghanistan

Aisengard

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2005
http://www.cursor.org/stories/civilian_deaths.htm

The civilian deaths graph is here: http://www.cursor.org/stories/civili1.gif

That's 2500 deaths in a month. Of Afghan civilians, mostly killed by American bombs. A terrorist group from Afghanistan attacks the United States, and the US responds by bombing the hell out of the country to kill the terrorists.

Now I ask, where was the call for restraint? Where was the condemnation that America was no better than Osama bin Laden?

I wonder how people can blame Israel for doing the same thing America did. Or is it because the Taliban killed 3000 of our civilians, now we get to kill 3000 of theirs? Is that how it works?

Aisengard

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2005
I just think it's an interesting parallel, is all. Israel's response to the attacks on their country is hardly unheard of, and in fact is much more restrained than others in recent history.

Ronstang

Lifer
Jul 8, 2000
I don't blame Israel for anything they are doing and I am not one of their supporters by a long shot.

tommywishbone

Platinum Member
May 11, 2005
"...we will make no distinction between terrorist and those who harbor them..." -the chimp

Translation= We will kill anybody we want, anywhere we want!

Aug 14, 2001
Originally posted by: tommywishbone
"...we will make no distinction between terrorist and those who harbor them..." -the chimp

Translation= We will kill anybody we want, anywhere we want!

Wow. You're horrible at English.

Translation = We will welcome Xenu and give him 1000 donkeys as a gift.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Originally posted by: Aisengard
Or is it because the Taliban killed 3000 of our civilians, now we get to kill 3000 of theirs? Is that how it works?
That is how the concept of "proportionate" comes up here.

Aisengard

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2005
Wow, so I guess we just proved the concept of "proportionate" is just completely bunk then. Try again, Arab League.

firewall

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2001
Originally posted by: RabidMongoose
Well...didn't the US also had a lot more global support for Afghanistan...

:disgust:

"Either you are with us or with them." :roll:

Gamer X

Banned
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: jrenz
Flame bait? I don't see a civilized discussion emerging from this.

So human lifes are not important anymore ? We should ignore the US killing 2500 civilians in a month in order to be civilized ?

firewall

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Gamer X

So human lifes are not important anymore ? We should ignore the US killing 2500 civilians in a month in order to be civilized ?

Don't mind the apologists. :cookie:

FrancesBeansRevenge

Platinum Member
Jun 6, 2001
If you add the number of civilians we've killed in Afghanistan and Iraq over the past 5 years it kind of makes our 3,000 dead on 9/11 seem a like a drop in the bucket.
But we've killed all those people while wearing uniforms with American flags on our shoulders so we're completely excused from having to feel any guilt. Sure, those people are still dead, but we killed them for their own good.
I'm glad too cause I wouldn?t want the deaths of all those innocents, funded by my tax dollars, to worry me. I have more important things to worry about like the latest gossip about Jen/Vince/Brad/Angelina.

shadow9d9

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
http://www.cursor.org/stories/civilian_deaths.htm

The civilian deaths graph is here: http://www.cursor.org/stories/civili1.gif

That's 2500 deaths in a month. Of Afghan civilians, mostly killed by American bombs. A terrorist group from Afghanistan attacks the United States, and the US responds by bombing the hell out of the country to kill the terrorists.

Now I ask, where was the call for restraint? Where was the condemnation that America was no better than Osama bin Laden?

I wonder how people can blame Israel for doing the same thing America did. Or is it because the Taliban killed 3000 of our civilians, now we get to kill 3000 of theirs? Is that how it works?

Stop being so negative! Look on the positive side... I am sure there are 2500 Afghan citizens who LIVE each month too!

Meuge

Banned
Nov 27, 2005
Originally posted by: Gamer X

When were they ever important to the people taking them?

Let's not be shocked when people die in a war, shall we? Regardless of whether the war is righteous or not (and that's up for discussion, of course), it's kinda stupid to assume that only the targets will die. That wouldn't be war... that would be assassinations... and those are also hard to carry out (just look at Israel trying in Gaza to only kill the militants).

firewall

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 2001
Originally posted by: Meuge
Let's not be shocked when people die in a war, shall we?

Does that applies to the Israelis dying in the current conflict too? This is war after all. What say you?

Islamistani

Jul 5, 2006
the universe has its own way of folding around. the 2500 figure might not mean much at the present. in time, there will be a reversal of fortunes.

Aisengard

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2005
Originally posted by: firewall

Does that applies to the Israelis dying in the current conflict too? This is war after all. What say you?

I'm sure not shocked that Israelis die when rockets are fired at their towns.

Islamistani

Jul 5, 2006

I AM shocked that SEVEN HUNDRED rockets only caused 25 deaths.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Both countries are getting rockets fired at their towns at this point, difference being Israel has far more powerful and accurate rockets than their opposers.

Aisengard

Golden Member
Feb 25, 2005
Originally posted by: Islamistani

I AM shocked that SEVEN HUNDRED rockets only caused 25 deaths.

You shouldn't be. These rockets are circa WWII...plus they're just firing randomly at the most populated areas they can. They want civilians to die, Israel does not. That's the difference, and still I've yet to see ANYONE argue effectively to the contrary.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
You are most defiantly right in the fact that Hezbolas weapons are quite decrepit and outdated, that is obvious as even when they are pointing at Israeli villages they can't come close to killing the numbers of civilians like the IDF is killing in Lebanon.