Nullification of the U.S. Constitution by MAGA states- Can the Fed gov't do anything short of sending in troops?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001

I can see Maga states doing this sooner than later.

DeSantis, Gov of Fl
Abbott, Gov of Tx
sarah huckabee (former Trump press secretary), Gov of Arkansas :eek:

What can the Fed govt do, short of sending in troops, if these MAGA extremists (and their state legislatures) started to ignore Federal law and Supreme Court orders?
ie: Implementing their own anti-immigration policies that are against Fed law or segregation of black/browns from whites in school systems

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005

I can see Maga states doing this sooner than later.

DeSantis, Gov of Fl
Abbott, Gov of Tx
sarah huckabee (former Trump press secretary), Gov of Arkansas :eek:

What can the Fed govt do, short of sending in troops, if these MAGA extremists started to ignore Federal law and Supreme Court orders?
ie: Implementing their own anti-immigration policies that are against Fed law or segregation of black/browns from whites in school

They aren't bringing back official segregation. BTW we're already damn effective at school segregation purely by wealth.

But yes the correct action is arresting the traitors if they are start to pull that shit. We already fought this war.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Why would they need to try this, given that the same people who control the "red" states, also control the Federal Supreme Court? If they decide something is 'unconstitutional' by their reading of the Constitution, they can just get the Supremes to rule it to be so at the national level, surely?

• Haha
Reactions: pcgeek11

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
i mean there's the whole supremacy clause. if states can nullify the constitution, then it's utterly meaningless. the whole point of the constitution is that it applies across the entire land.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
i mean there's the whole supremacy clause. if states can nullify the constitution, then it's utterly meaningless. the whole point of the constitution is that it applies across the entire land.

Not clear to me what the OP is asking about. The wiki link is about states attempting to nullify Federal _law_ with the argument that the law is against the (national) Constitution - not nullifying the Constitution itself. As I already said, I don't quite see why they would bother to try and reject federal laws by claiming they are unconstitutional, when they can get their pet Supreme Court to do it for them.

The linked article begins:
Nullification, in United States constitutional history, is a legal theory that a state has the right to nullify, or invalidate, any federal laws which they deem unconstitutional with respect to the United States Constitution (as opposed to the state's own constitution). There are similar theories that any officer,[1] jury,[2] or individual[3] may do the same. The theory of state nullification has never been legally upheld by federal courts,[4] although jury nullification has.[2]

The bit about juries is interesting - I remember several of the cases the article mentions (e.g. Clive Ponting) where juries just flat-out refused to find someone guilty, even when the law said they were, because they thought the law was stupid.

Reactions: JockoJohnson

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Democrats, in my opinion, do sot see the threat even on Jan 6 when, in my opinion, martial law should have been declared and that house and senate cleared of insurrection enablers.

It makes no sense to me that we allow democracy to be destroyed right in front of our eyes because so many have been blinded by propaganda promulgated by right wing media to support that destruction to remain in power so as to serve the wealthy in the name of White Christians and their delusions their is anything sacred in what they pretend to believe.

Normal people, in my opinion will oppose the Taliban or the Spanish Inquisition from a cancerous outbreak from within the body politic by excision where needed, I would think. I suppose the majority remain unconvinced. Oh well. Everything ends……. I guess.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Democrats, in my opinion, do sot see the threat even on Jan 6 when, in my opinion, martial law should have been declared and that house and senate cleared of insurrection enablers.
Bad Pelosi for not giving the order!!! Not sure what you’re smoking this evening to even blame the Dems for not doing anything when it wasn’t in their power to.

Reactions: hal2kilo

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Bad Pelosi for not giving the order!!! Not sure what you’re smoking this evening to even blame the Dems for not doing anything when it wasn’t in their power to.
Who can declare Martial Law?

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
POTUS or governors. Not the house speaker.
I see how my timeline failure would have left Pelosi as the only target I could have logically implied.

I started thinking martial law seriously as a needed preventative for the US forfeiting on the national debt.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
I see how my timeline failure would have left Pelosi as the only target I could have logically implied.

I started thinking martial law seriously as a needed preventative for the US forfeiting on the national debt.
Lol if the people riot because the house fails to pass debt ceiling bill. Holy crap Biden will be called a dictator if he declared martial law.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Yeah, this is an insane notion.
Liberals are generally very afraid to be thought of as irrational, so much so, in my opinion, they can become paralyzed to act. How stupid one can look, fleeing up a tree every time a leaf rustles in the breeze.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
The finger

And, of course, when confronted with it they will do what they can to shine you on. The oldest trick in the book is to pretend you didn't really fall on your face. But, while that may be socially comforting to oneself, everybody around you can see the truth. The best hope is that they will pretend you didn't to avoid your contempt if they reveal that they did. Surely you can see the kindness and joy of being that man is expressing. He can give me the finger any day. And the same to you. Thanks.