Nuclear testing on the dark side of the moon

Ultima

Platinum Member
Oct 16, 1999
Do you think they do it? After all, they can say that the craters were "there all along".

DataFly

Mar 12, 2000
It would be far too costly to justify doing, even if they didn't have to get Congress' approval. The supercomputers they use now are powerful enough to simulate the cascade reaction at the heart of the bomb and take various measurements without slowdown. Why spend billions (or trillions) of dollars to do something that we can simulate accurately for much less?:)

RSI

Diamond Member
May 22, 2000
Maybe they did it before they had powerful enough computers to run simulations like that?

Swag1138

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2000
JellyBaby: You didnt know? The "cold war" and "desert storm" were just a smokescreen for the real threat. Fear the Moonmen, for their wrath is mighty!

KDOG

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
it would very difficult to hide much more launch a vehicle to carry a nuclear payload to the moon and then have some kind of other vehicle to monitor and record the detonation for analisys....nah they haven't done it...

Eli

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
LMAO .. I don't think so dude. ;)

Although, I do wonder when we will start mining the moons natural resources. It has a lot. I'd bet that whichever company does it first, will quickly earn back their expense.

Wasn't there an article or something that was saying the moon has lots of like helium-5 or something like that, something thats only found in trace ammounts on Earth? And it could provide us with a lot of nuclear energy?

Imaginer

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 1999
If launching a missle, you need the fuel to get it up there (alot of it too) and the added weight of explosives as well. Since it is costly enough as is to get a few people into space, I am pretty sure the answer to that title is no.

Napalm381

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
Also, the government would be extremely wary about putting that quantity of uranium/plutonium on a rocket and sending it up. There have been too many rocket accidents for it to be considered safe.

KingHam

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
One day we will defeat the moonmen and all of their cheese will be ours!

KingHam

Pocatello

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I don't think so! There are already too many fat-assed Americans, we don't need the extra cheese.

oldandquitemad

Jun 15, 2000
So I take it this ISN'T a Pink Floyd thread..........?

Nukes going off to "The Great Gig In The Sky", now THAT'S cool.

Doomsday

Sep 11, 2000
Well, on the dark side of the moon, we can use any solar power, which is, right now, our promary source of power in outer space. Besides, what would be the reasons for testing on the moon? And why does it matter. According to NASA, we don't want to colonize the moon, we want to go to Mars, even though, it would be much less costly, not to mention less risky to attempt a colony on the moon. In the case of danger, it's less time to get home by far. NASA is currently drawing up plans for a manned mission to Mars by 2014. What I find funny is that 2014 is the exact year the Mayan calendar ends, and that calandar has predicted such dates as the American revolution, WWII, and many other downpoints, and up points in the life of the world. Now is that not freaky?

Pretender

Banned
Mar 14, 2000
Man I'm getting tired of people basing the fate of the universe on some calendar made by an ancient civilization. I'm pretty sure that when they made their calendar I'm pretty sure they weren't invisioning space stations and the end of life.

Back to the topic at hand, I seriously doubt it.

P# 000,874

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
<< If NASA plans to get there in 2014, I'd figure on them making it sometime around 2199. >>

Ye of little faith. They'll have it done by 2101, mark my words. And I'll bet all I own on that date. :)

DataFly

Mar 12, 2000
About that calendar thing...how do we know that the calendar writers didn't get killed off by one of the numerouse Mayan civil wars or something like that? It's also possible that the Mayan civilization died off/crumbled while they were working to complete it.

Hundreds of others like Nostradamus (spell check that for me:)) have made countless predictions that came true but were wrong about the arrival of the &quot;Judgement Day.&quot; One guy predicted his own death date and time but claimed that WWIII would start in the first half of 1999. Did it? No. Nostradamus' prediction was incorrect as well (correct me if I'm wrong), and he successfully predicted almost every major event in history. These guys can't seem to get the date of Armageddon right...

:D

AFAIK sections of stellar bodies like the moon cannot be owned by any nation or individual, but would moon harvesting attempts be legal still?

Soulflare

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
Lol! I saw the TLC episode of &quot;Prophecies&quot; that covered the &quot;End&quot;
as predicted by the Mayan calendar. Not only are we going to die
a horrible death, but a horribly cheesy death at the hands
of our kitchen appliances. :p

dennilfloss

Past Lifer 1957-2014 In Memoriam
Oct 21, 1999
dennilfloss.blogspot.com
Actually, the dark side of the Moon will be used to place a giant radiotelescope in the near future. That will be isolated from all the earthly interference and will be able to resolve things like oxygen and water on planets in other solar systems.

Us &amp; Them (Pink Floyd)

Raj

Aug 14, 2000
are the giant moonmen really giant mice who are protecting there chees e from invaders from earth?

btw, these pointless threads are hilarious, and help us nightowls pass the time.

Doomsday

Sep 11, 2000
I didn't say I belive in the Mayan calandar thing, but I just think it's freaky that both of those dates coincide. You know with all those alien movies like Species II. The alien came from Mars. Personally, I think NASA's little plan will probably fall apart, and be delayed 50 years. They're basing the mission on stuff that hasn't been invented yet. I'm just saying about the moon thing that couldn't we establish a colony there, instead of on Mars. It would be much more interesting. I don't mean that we would own it, but something along the line of the new International Space Station. And there would at least be some gravity on the moon, the effects of no gravity on the human body for an extended period of time can be devistating.

evolotion

Oct 30, 1999
What if on 2014 NASA does something really stupid like try to carry an unidentified payload for &quot;research&quot; to the moon, the rocket blows up, we die!
Then The Mayan people would be right, Thered be plenty of people into conpiracy theorys who would be right so a lot of people would be happy..

AlphaIVT

Banned
Jul 26, 2000
What if the rocket exploaded as it was launched from Cap Canaveral pretty much like how those Deltas blew up in our atmosphere, now that would be amazing! ;)