nub lost trying to install a video card

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BlueAcolyte

Platinum Member
Nov 19, 2007
Well, the Dell machines are pretty reliable from what I've heard, I doubt businesses like random crashes during their work. It looks like your power supply is ok. (Although "Combined power on +12VA and -12VB Rails not exceed 350W" worries me a bit)

WaitingForNehalem

Platinum Member
Aug 24, 2008
Originally posted by: biffbacon
ok, buying a new power supply tonight. im just buying one from the local best buy b/c i really dont want to wait for something to be shipped again.

anyone know if the following video card would fit in xps 420?:
link

RIPOFF!

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
The industry uses peak output, so a 450W power supply can sustain that
only for a short period of time.

Actually, most of the better PSUs are rated at sustained output. Problem is that people who don't know any better (or believe it not necessary) still buy shoddy PSUs that are rated at peak or even worse... with wattage pulled out of thin air.

Dell Model L375P-00 w/ DC output 375W
Combined power on +12VA and -12VB Rails not exceed 350W

Around 30A on the +12v, nice! I'd say you are good to go as long as you have all the plugs (or adaptors) needed, which are two 6 pin PCIe.

Originally posted by: happy medium
http://www.tigerdirect.com/app...pNo=2181001&CatId=1483

Those reviews are not too good.......:roll:

That PSU you linked is an old model that is obsolete and completely different than current models.

Originally posted by: WaitingForNehalem
ok, buying a new power supply tonight. im just buying one from the local best buy b/c i really dont want to wait for something to be shipped again.

anyone know if the following video card would fit in xps 420?:
link

RIPOFF!

Well, Best Buy needs their margins. biffbacon doesn't want to wait for shipping, so what are his other options? Rocketfish 700? Dynex 400? Here's the review on those. :roll: How about an Antec EarthWatts 500 for $60 more than Newegg's current sale price?

BUT, if you need it now, then pay the price for convenience.

adlep

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2001
Greetings,
Official Dell Forums states that the pre-installed PSU is underrated and it will support up to GeForce 8800GT class of GPUs (HD3850/HD3870 will work as well).

Also, according to Dell almost any ATX 2.2 PSU will work fine, but it may be a tight fit...

I would upgrade the PSU to OCZ StealthXStream OCZ600SXS 600W ATX12V on Newegg for $49.00 AR with free shipping Newegg Link
It features very good reviews, above 80% efficiency, and it won't break your budget...

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
ok, buying a new power supply tonight. im just buying one from the local best buy
Seriously, don't do this. Your XPS "375W" is grossly under-rated, will easily handle your card, and is actually better than the overpriced junk you're likely to buy at BB.

Either stick with what you've got (this should be fine, honestly), or order a Corsair 550W or 650W (or an Antec 650W) from the internet... Anything less won't be an improvement.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: s44
the overpriced junk you're likely to buy at BB.

Actually not all the PSUs at BB are junk. The "house brand" surely are, but some of the other ones are decent quality, if not decent priced.