NTLDR is missing, system detects drives then can't detect them...

DeadHead

Jun 12, 2002
I recently overclocked my CPU. Everything went very smooth and I was able to use the computer fine. I shut it down and tried to install a new fan (not messing with any power cables near the hard drives). After I couldn't find a socket, I rebooted.

The system stalls at "Detecting IDE drives", then eventually shows a list of them. After this it goes to a RAID controller screen which says "Drive 1 Missing, Drive 2 Missing," etc. Then the normal boot screen is shown (PCI cards, system info, etc.) and while it is "Veryifying DMI Pool Data", it says "NTLDR is missing".

I thought I may have fried my hard drive by touching it. So I plugged in the secondary one as the primary, because it also has Windows installed. The same problem occurs.

I did not re-install Windows recently, so the common NTLDR is missing solution doesn't work for me. What can I do?

DeadHead

Jun 12, 2002
And when I use a boot disk, it lets me access the floppy disk. But I can't of course get to any other drives.

WeeWolf

Dec 11, 2002
Can we get some system info? What kind of HDDs, MB, raid card if you're using one, OS etc.
For starters if you are using a raid card try putting the HDDs in the regular MB connectors and see if they detect there.

DeadHead

Jun 12, 2002
Windows XP Professional
CPU: Pentium 4 1.7g
Motherboard: Abit TH7II-RAID
Memory: 512mb RDRAM
Video Card: Annihilator Pro Geforce256 DDR
Drive 1(normally secondary): WD 80gb/8mb/7200
Drive 2 (normally primary): WD 13.6gb/5400
Drive 3 (normally secondary slave): CD-ROM

I am not using RAID right now because the hard drives are of different size. So I believe that they are in the normal connectors.

DeadHead

Jun 12, 2002
Update:

My C: drive is still not being detected (13.6gb). My E: drive (80gb) has no detection problems, but I haven't been able to access it when I use a boot disk. I have been able to access my CD-ROM after using a boot disk.

The only error I'm getting now is NTLDR missing. I can't use sys.com to fix it because, like I said, I haven't been able to access any of my hard drives.

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
Problem solved. DeadHead is my brothers account, jsut got back on my computer.

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
No idea... I played with some boot disks and noticed I could still access the CD-ROM (IDE connection still works on motherboard). So I switched the cables on the hard drives and made the 80gb the primary.. had a little bit more success (still didn't boot to Windows though). Then I switched them back and it worked.

I also turned off all of the RAID options I could (because it was giving me some errors even though I don't use RAID).