ntfs issue? ntfsflushuserstream error

darkenedsoul

Oct 16, 2007
Hi,

Been having some BSOD's which showed memory management failure (ran memtest86+ v2.11 on both dimms in respective slots and also both in slot 0 (individual testing) and no failures in up to 24+ hrs of testing.

Today I had a stop 0x24 which shows up in searches as an ntfs problem. I'm running a pair of 640Gb SATA II's (I think WD's) and it rebuilt itself once after a crash last week. I ran chkdsk /r on it today and didn't see anything out of the ordinary. After that I ran defrag (windows version). I saw a problem in event view back on 12/22 for ntfs for disk 2 which I am assuming is the 2nd of the 2 in the RAID 1 set. But so far I can't find what's wrong. I do weekly or bi-weekly image backups on it to an external USB drive. System is an Abit IP35 Pro w/2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2-800 OC'd to 3.4Ghz (mem is at 378mhz). Voltage on dimms are down to 1.9, vcore is 1.2850, mch is 1.29, rest I think are stock settings. BIOS is B16 (I don't see need to go to B17).

System is up usually 24x7 as it's my main system and also what I connect to work with and play guild wars on (other desktop does same but mainly for DAW and is one in my sig). It has been running fine up until early last week when I hit the memory management BSOD (seen it 2-3 times since at least after ~2 days uptime). I haven't installed anything new other than an updated ventrilo client and MS updates that I can recall in the past 2+ weeks.

Any ideas/suggestions on where to look/free tools to use to look at the drive (the WD tools?)?

Thanks in advance and happy new year! Mine would have been better if this didn't start happening! ;-( Thankfully I have the other desktop to use (or my DAW laptop).

Mike

darkenedsoul

Oct 16, 2007
Keep in mind I don't want to have to do a re-install of the OS and applications again if I can at all help it. I'd like to determine if one of the drives (suspecting 2nd one of the two) is getting flaky but as I said it's been up 24x7 for some time (was for a long time, then I started shutting it down while at work. I can do a format/restore image if need be but not sure if that'll fix the problem just yet.

Quiksilver

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2005
Well you did mention you ran Memtest after you got a few BSOD's.
When you ran it, was the memory set to the rated voltage and timings? If no I suggest running it again. If it was, okay then.
As far as the HDD diagnostic tools; they are on the manufactures site. In this WD's site.

darkenedsoul

Oct 16, 2007
I've run the test at 2.0 and 2.1v and both times no failures. I left it up after lowering down to 1.9v and it crashed again the other day (yesterday or evening before). Nothing was going on on the system other than the usual systray and possibly browser loaded and maybe email client. I'll try and boot it up and look through event viewer to see if it shows anything new/different.

darkenedsoul

Oct 16, 2007
I blew away the raidset and recreated it and formatted it. I think did a restore of an image and am letting system sit for awhile to see if problem has been resolved or not.

darkenedsoul

Oct 16, 2007
Ok, now for something different. I loaded up Firefox (not sure what version) and the system had been up running since 1/3/09 and this morning I find it with a stop 0x50 (0xffffffff, 0x00000000,0x00000000,0x00000000).

Upon looking into event viewer I see it complaining about "An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation. These are shown as being on 1/4 and 1/5. The last warning shows ftdisk vs disk and says The system failed to flush data to the transaction log. Corruption may occur. Anyone have any ideas on this? They are the Western Digital 640GB SATA II AAk model.

darkenedsoul

Oct 16, 2007
Also, at this point how hard would it be for me to change from RAID 1 to single drives other than going into BIOS, deleting RAIDset, formatting the drive (boot drive) and doing a restore to it? I assume I'll have to change something else in BIOS with regards to ACHI, RAID or IDE for control?