NT Workstation does not see PDC on LAN

chemos

Sep 21, 2000
Hi there. I have a Dell Dimension which I'm trying to get logged in to the network here and it cannot see the PDC. I'm basically renovating the office since I'm new here and up until now, all machines were running NT Workstation 4 and logging in as Administrator.

The Dell machine I'm having problems with will be the only remaining NT4 workstation on the network. However, when logging in, it reports "Unable to contact a PDC for your domain. You have been logged in using cached information." The computer has been added to the network already, and the user account is set up properly. I can ping the PDC after logging on with "cached" information, and ping back to that workstation as well. There are no connectivity problems.

The other machines were having this problem as well, but I've since wiped them and loaded them up with Win98SE. Now they can connect to the domain fine. Win98SE is not an option for this Dell, however. I need to find out why it claims it can't see the PDC, and get it logging in correctly.

The PC is a Dell Dimension and the NIC is a Netgear. Let me know if you need specifics on any equipment, although I really think this has to do with software (since Win98SE logs in just fine). Sorry this post turned out so long, but better to have detailed info than a short paragraph. TIA!

Added (extra information):
- Both machines (PDC and Dell NT Wkstn problem machine) have manually assigned IPs, 192.168.1.x and are able to ping each other when logged in. They're also running off the same hub.
- PDC is running WinNT Server 4, SP5. All machines are able to connect but the Dell (NT Workstation 4, SP6).
- I've tried removing the computer account from the PDC box. This resulted in no change to the workstation. Still said it could not find the PDC and is logging in using cached account information. Added the computer back in to the domain, same thing.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
can you ping the server by computer name? Sounds like a browsing issue.

What protocols are loaded on the server and the PC?

Are your IP addresses and masks and gateways correct? please provide IP settings for PC and PDC.

Any WINS servers or are you strictly using NBT broadcasts?

What is the computer name of the PC and PDC? Any BDCs on the same network?

Sorry for the numerous questions, but all this info is needed to help you.

cheers,
spidey

ps - Browse lists.....yet another reason why I hate NT

one more thing to try...go to command prompt and try to view the server resources.
NET VIEW \\SERVERNAME
NET VIEW /DOMAIN:DOMAIN NAME

chemos

Sep 21, 2000
Thank you for the reply.

<< can you ping the server by computer name? Sounds like a browsing issue. >>

Yes, I can. I can also see the server in Network Neighborhood once I'm logged in, along with any other machines sharing files/printers.

<< What protocols are loaded on the server and the PC? >>

TCP/IP and NetBeui. NetBeui has been running on the server since I got here, but I just loaded it on the PC earlier today to see if that would help with netbios.

<< Are your IP addresses and masks and gateways correct? please provide IP settings for PC and PDC. >>

Yes. They're manually set (no DHCP). Here are the settings:
PDC>
IP: 192.168.1.4 Mask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway: 192.168.1.1
PC>
IP: 192.168.1.11 Mask: 255.255.255.0 Gateway: 192.168.1.1

<< Any WINS servers or are you strictly using NBT broadcasts? >>

Just the netbios. I do not currently have WINS installed on the PDC. Do you think that may be part of my problem?

<< What is the computer name of the PC and PDC? Any BDCs on the same network? >>

Server is named 'Server' and workstation is named 'Guy' (no quotes on either, of course). No BDC's on the network. Only another seven workstations, all running Win98SE and functioning properly on the domain. Like I said, these machines had the same problem initially, but formatting and taking them to Win98SE fixed it (for them).

I don't mind answering questions at all, I just need to figure this guy out. :) Feel free to send more my way if you need more information. I tried the net view commands on the workstation and got the expected results (shared resources).

Thanks again,

chemos

Sep 21, 2000
Never got an answer on this, so started searching on various search engines and finally found a solution that worked. Decided to post it here for future reference.

To fix this problem, simply go into network properties on the NT Workstation and change the computer to log into a workgroup (any workgroup) instead of the domain. Reboot.

Go back into network properties, and change it back to domain. Specify your domain and a valid login/passwd for an administrative account on the server. You may have to disconnect any network drives before it will accept this and join you back into the domain--this time for real.

So here's my take on it.. whoever set up these machines previously simply half-assedly added them to the domain. Maybe NT Workstation is a little delicate when it comes to this, so all the machines were running in &quot;Ghost&quot; mode, where they could connect to server resources, yet not to the domain itself. Ugh. Anyhow, that's why formatting to Win98SE fixed the problem.

Thanks to Spidey for replying. Fortunately, it turned out to be a pretty simple answer. :)

Wizkid

Platinum Member
Oct 11, 1999
Formatting worked b/c win98 doesn't &quot;join&quot; a domain. Also, if you had reinstalled NT4 it would have worked too b/c then you would have had to join the domain properly :)

NT4Mike

Oct 9, 1999
Also remember that if you remove a machine from the domain using Server Manager, the workstation will still think that it is a member of the domain. Even if you add the machine to the domain again, using Server Manager, it will not be the original account. The workstation will get a new SID.

Under most circumstances, it is best to add machines to the domain at the workstation. Only use Server Manager to delete machines off. I have seen many people get confused and try to add the machine in both locations.

Best way to remember it is that if you add the machine to the domain using Server Manager, you don't have to give it a Domain Admin ID at the workstation to connect it. If you don't add it in Server Manager, you are going to have to supply Domain Admin Credentials.

Glad you got it working.

-Mike

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Glad it was so simple. I was going to recommend reinstalling service pack.

I have seen more weird problems than I can count because of making SID changes or network control panel changes. Reinstalling SP is always a good idea. Actually required anytime you make changes to a server.

spidey