NRA trashes doctors who treat gunshot wounds. Doctors push back

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
No, not by magic, but by decree. And no, it won't happen over night. But if you make it illegal to possess a gun, over time there will be less and less of them. What's the point of having a gun if you'll find yourself behind bars as soon as the authorities find out?!

What you suggest simply won't happen here in the US. About the best we can hope for is to ban certain classes of firearms from retail sales, institute universal background checks & encourage change in gun culture headsets.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
Healthcare professionals are very much in the right to discuss gun safety. They have to clean up these messes.

No one would complain if healthcare professionals were discussing cocaine use or domestic violence or child abuse. Why is gun violence any different? It's bad for your health.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
What you suggest simply won't happen here in the US. About the best we can hope for is to ban certain classes of firearms from retail sales, institute universal background checks & encourage change in gun culture headsets.
That's the low hanging fruit. We can do better. Near term, I agree, won't happen. But long term, total purge of the guns is possible and IMO advisable.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
No one would complain if healthcare professionals were discussing cocaine use or domestic violence or child abuse. Why is gun violence any different? It's bad for your health.

Healthcare professionals are very much in the right to discuss gun safety. They have to clean up these messes.
People are brainwashed. We need to make it acceptable to question the legitimacy of gun ownership. Many many refuse to do so, but that's the first step.

Cleaning up the messes: There's an amazing and superb documentary, Code Black (not the subsequent CBS TV drama, but the 2014 documentary). I've watched this 82 minute documentary multiple times. It was created by Ryan McGarry, one of the doctors featured in it. He was into film even before he became a doctor, figures to make more (see the interview extra on the DVD, it's also great). Watch this engrossing documentary! Here's the trailer:

Last edited:

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Gun owners are such snowflakes that they can’t even handle being informed of the empirically established consequences of choosing to own a gun. Not that their right to own a gun is restricted, they need to be protected from people telling them they made a dumb choice.

How fragile does your ego need to be?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Gun owners are such snowflakes that they can’t even handle being informed of the empirically established consequences of choosing to own a gun. Not that their right to own a gun is restricted, they need to be protected from people telling them they made a dumb choice.

How fragile does your ego need to be?

That's far from universally true. I think the whole problem stems from people owning the wrong kind of guns for all the wrong reasons. I grew up in a hunting family, owned guns for years even after I quit hunting. I kept them locked up & kept the ammo in a different part of the house, never dreamed that I'd ever use them in self defense. Before that, guns were never loaded until we were in the field or at the range.

Guns have become highly advanced & specialized, particularly those designed for combat. That's all they're really good for. Ammosexuals just love 'em, however.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Man, you have an amazingly tenuous understanding of the issues, of what's going on. Eliminating gun violence is 1000x easier than improving medical care in the USA. You can take away all the guns with sweeping legislation. Curing malpractice is as elusive as curing cancer or curing the common cold.

For Heaven's sake, do something to open your silly mind.

I dont think you understand the size of the issue, there are more guns than people in the US, if you tried to take all the gun it would end in civil war which would result in alot of deaths.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Do you think the net number of lives saved each year by doctors is larger or smaller than the net number of lives saved by guns?

Once you answer that question you will see why you’re being ridiculous.

Hard to say, all the standing armies of the planet use there guns for arguable "good" purposes much much more often than for bad purposes. The USA is always swinging its dick around all over the planet to stop wars, or at least thats its claimed reasons, if you buy into that then i guess the US army uses its guns to save alot of lives.

Sunburn74

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2009
I dont think you understand the size of the issue, there are more guns than people in the US, if you tried to take all the gun it would end in civil war which would result in alot of deaths.
Actually I don't think it would result in a lot of deaths at all.

You could force all gun and ammo manufacturers to fold and ban all ammunition and you're done. That would effectively eliminate all guns.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Hard to say, all the standing armies of the planet use there guns for arguable "good" purposes much much more often than for bad purposes. The USA is always swinging its dick around all over the planet to stop wars, or at least thats its claimed reasons, if you buy into that then i guess the US army uses its guns to save alot of lives.

We are not discussing armies, we are discussing personal ownership of guns.

This has been researched quite a bit by the way, personal ownership of guns costs lives, it does not save them.

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Still none of their business.

If you're overeating and its causing you to be overweight and diabetic, is that not their business too?

Just so we're clear on this, which other issues that are relevant to your health are not the "business" of your doctor?