NRA trashes doctors who treat gunshot wounds. Doctors push back

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The NRA wants to be the arbiter of who gets to speak out about gun violence. NRA said the following in response to doctors speaking out about gun violence.
Someone should tell self-important anti-gun doctors to stay in their lane

The NRA sent this out just hours before 13 people were killed at the Borderline Bar & Grill in Thousand Oaks, California

I though any citizen has the right to speak up about this subject? Doctors have a unique perspective on gun violence so why should they just shut up?

Doctors weighed in on the NRA tweet
Oh, was I supposed to consult the NRA when my elderly patient with dementia accidentally shot themself holstering a gun they legally owned?" @DrMFraggle asked. "Because I was under the impression I was to consult general surgery and social services. My bad

"After treating countless patients with life altering spinal cord injuries and brain injuries secondary to gun shot wounds, I would have to say this is my lane," @DanaBussing

"Next time I have 16yo boy shot through the spine and liver, paralyzed and terrified, gasping for air, and have to pretend to reassure him that we will do our best as he only survives long enough to make it to the OR table, I'll be sure to call you to come tell the family," @tnicholsmd

"I helped save a gun violence victim in med school. Those are my hands holding pressure on his femoral artery so that he wouldn't bleed to death. The bullet is right by my fingertips. This is me in #mylane

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/08/health/nra-tweet-doctors-react/index.html

Reactions: Perknose and jman19

IJTSSG

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2014
The NRA wants to be the arbiter of who gets to speak out about gun violence. NRA said the following in response to doctors speaking out about gun violence.

The NRA sent this out just hours before 13 people were killed at the Borderline Bar & Grill in Thousand Oaks, California

I though any citizen has the right to speak up about this subject? Doctors have a unique perspective on gun violence so why should they just shut up?

Doctors weighed in on the NRA tweet

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/08/health/nra-tweet-doctors-react/index.html
The NRA didn't trash them over treating gunshot wounds. The NRA trashed them because they've decided doctors should interrogate their patients about gun ownership and lecture them about gun safety.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
The NRA didn't trash them over treating gunshot wounds. The NRA trashed them because they've decided doctors should interrogate their patients about gun ownership and lecture them about gun safety.
I didn't say they NRA trashed them for treating wounds. NRA trashed them because they had the nerve to speak out.

If someone came into the ER overdosing on pills I'm sure doctors would discuss taking them. Why would gun safety be exempt?

Reactions: Homerboy

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Should those doctors check to find out if the gunshot victim is a NRA member...and refuse to treat those who are? After all, guns aren’t the problem...right?

I’m not anti-gun, but some common sense laws seem to be appropriate.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Clearly the NRA is right. We shouldn’t be listening to doctors about firearm health and safety, we should be listening to a lobbying organization for gun manufacturers.

Common sense, people.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

How dare those health professionals discuss issues related to their patients’ health.

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004

Such a victim. Did you successfully use your gun defensively when the doctor assaulted your 2nd amendment rights by asking you to keep your firearms locked up and unloaded?

ecogen

Golden Member
Dec 24, 2016

How dare those health professionals discuss issues related to their patients’ health.

Yup, if someone is rushed to the hospital because he ate a tide pod, the doctors should treat them and then refer them to Tide customer support for info about what they should or shouldn't do with tide pods.

IJTSSG

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2014
Such a victim. Did you successfully use your gun defensively when the doctor assaulted your 2nd amendment rights by asking you to keep your firearms locked up and unloaded?
Where did I write that my doctor had asked me?

Paratus

Lifer
Jun 4, 2004
Where did I write that my doctor had asked me?

I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you had first hand been ‘interrogated’ because otherwise you’re just full of shit that anyone has been interrogated by a doctor about their guns.

Since we cleared up that this has in no way impacted your life I’m sure then you must have some significant eveidence of poor gun owners being victimized by doctors interrogations.

I eagerly await your evidence.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Doctors know far more, and are infinitely more honest brokers of the reality of gun violence than anyone with an NRA sticker can ever fucking hope to be.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
It's none of their business if I own a gun. None.
If that gun you own causes your apperence in the ER it is their business to bring up while you are there. Just like its your business to own sleeping pills. If you take the entire bottle and wind up in the ER its their business to inquire about it.

Reactions: skooma

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
Perhaps then the NRA should stay in its own lane too and only talk about domestic terrorism since they're a terrorist organization.

IJTSSG

Golden Member
Aug 12, 2014
I was giving you the benefit of the doubt that you had first hand been ‘interrogated’ because otherwise you’re just full of shit that anyone has been interrogated by a doctor about their guns.

Since we cleared up that this has in no way impacted your life I’m sure then you must have some significant eveidence of poor gun owners being victimized by doctors interrogations.

I eagerly await your evidence.
You need to learn how to read, I'm not spoon feeding it to you.

Kwatt

Golden Member
Jan 3, 2000
If the NRA is talking about doctors speaking out publicly. That is a right also.

Is the NRA also claiming the doctors can't speak to their patients about smoking, over eating, and excessive alcohol consumption? Those activities are protected in a way. If the NRA does not object that doctors can speak to their patients about those things. The NRA should not object to firearm counseling.

I think the NRA screwed the pooch here.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It's none of their business if I own a gun. None.

Considering gun ownership has been empirically shown to make you more likely to be injured or die it sure sounds like their business as their business is to keep you healthy and alive.

It's certainly more of their business than a gun lobbyist organization.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
Still none of their business.
I thought law abiding gun owners agreed with following existing laws?
If an ER doctor has suspicions that a patient is mentally ill and has access to guns shouldn't that doctor report it?

skooma

Apr 13, 2006
Full of shit it is.

Can’t say I’m suprised. Don’t worry though I’ll keep giving you chances to prove me wrong. ;)
I was about to reply to that but then read his sig. Too open-minded for me.