NRA in turmoil, gun manufacturers going bankrupt, Thanks Trump

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
IMO they should have waited until after the election so that this wouldn't trigger Trump's base.
Might have said similar about the major BLM protests when Trump's coronavirus response was already widely perceived as an unforgivable travesty. I think many will look at the exposed corruption of the NRA, which gave some 60 million dollars to get Trump elected as more reason to not vote for him. There are so many reasons to hold your nose when faced with the prospect of a 2nd round of this administration. The people preparing Biden's campaign have no lack of argument for a change. I hope they hit the ground running.

Feb 4, 2009
Full disclosure, I caught the tail end of the story.

Is there something about this scandal involving a travel planner earning 3 million over a 6 month period?

My numbers are off but I’m sure it relates to the link in the quote below.

Last edited:
Reactions: UNCjigga

Grey_Beard

Golden Member
Sep 23, 2014
Here's a thread detailing some of the alleged abuses

15/ From August 2014 to January 2020, @NRA paid LaPierre’s Travel Consultant more than **$13.5 million** In 2018, the NRA paid LaPierre’s Travel Consultant $2,630,531.71 In the first six months of 2019 alone, the NRA paid LaPierre’s Travel Consultant $1,007,597.80

This is unbelievable. Having worked in the non-profit and foundation sector for many years, this list is appalling. It seems Mr LaPierre is in for some serious jail time, but for the events described plus the IRS tax implications of these acts. I am amazed.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
This is unbelievable. Having worked in the non-profit and foundation sector for many years, this list is appalling. It seems Mr LaPierre is in for some serious jail time, but for the events described plus the IRS tax implications of these acts. I am amazed.

Remember this?

Shee-it, Sherlock. The NRA has had the GOP in their pocket for a very long time. It was also stupid & arrogant to sue their longtime partner in crime, Ackerman McQueen.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Its a money making racket. They dont believe in the 2nd Amendment anymore, they believe in making money.
Calling for gun control somehow gets them paid in the long run.

Skel

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2001
Its a money making racket. They dont believe in the 2nd Amendment anymore, they believe in making money.
Calling for gun control somehow gets them paid in the long run.

The guy saying it said it in a new book he wrote... so yeah, he's getting paid for it.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Some traitorous nut at NRA advocates for, drum roll please............................. GUN CONTROL.

Not surprisingly, the association is determined to discredit him... which illustrates the very reason why the NRA as it is needs to go away. It's a gun industry propaganda wing that considers mass shootings a small price to pay for extra sales.

Also: it's hilarious that the NRA claimed that its school safety program had three assessments in four years because it "needed to be proven." I'm sorry, but it doesn't take four years to look at three schools. When were you expecting to cover most schools, 3020? It's just a token effort meant to allay criticism.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Hehe, number 2

Number 2 is always a traitor!
e942c145cdc387e0bd75a1ba8f0d5d5c.jpg

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
Not surprisingly, the association is determined to discredit him... which illustrates the very reason why the NRA as it is needs to go away. It's a gun industry propaganda wing that considers mass shootings a small price to pay for extra sales.

Also: it's hilarious that the NRA claimed that its school safety program had three assessments in four years because it "needed to be proven." I'm sorry, but it doesn't take four years to look at three schools. When were you expecting to cover most schools, 3020? It's just a token effort meant to allay criticism.

Assessing schools costs money. They might have to downgrade from the Ritz to the Sheraton. This is unacceptable.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
$300k in excessive benefits to WL.

Covering 2015-2019?
That 60K a year. I call shens.
This guy makes 3-4-5M a year plus other compensation. 60K a year is his bartender's tip.

I don't know the veracity of this website but it is quoting Leticia James, NY AG from NY's lawsuit. I was looking to see more recent data.

"LaPierre reportedly used $3.6 million in NRA money over two years on unneeded travel expenses. "

"For example, he reportedly used NRA funds to pay for 8 round trip flights to the Bahamas, costing the organization $500,000. According to the Wall Street Journal, LaPierre used NRA funds to ferry his family members around the country on private jets. For example, in 2017 he allegedly used NRA funds to pay for a jet to fly 500 miles off course to pick up his niece's daughter in Nebraska on the way to an event in Dallas. He also allegedly gave himself a $17 million post-employment contract without getting approval from the NRA's board of directors. "

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Buncha nut jobs. I want them to collapse.

The problem is the nuts from the NRA will go trickling into other gun lobbies, organizations that are sane and rational, and they will ruin them.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
So the strategy is to grift in TX and not get sued there?
I mean it makes sense in a way but how does that save them from NY State?

*insert shrug emoji*

Buncha nut jobs. I want them to collapse.

The problem is the nuts from the NRA will go trickling into other gun lobbies, organizations that are sane and rational, and they will ruin them.

I don't follow many of the other orgs anymore and had presumed this already happened.