NRA in turmoil, gun manufacturers going bankrupt, Thanks Trump

Page 15 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Mar 11, 2004
Heh. You're a real piece of work, huh? Your numbers are from Jan 1 to April 30. George Floyd was killed on May 25 & the protests ensued from there. The two don't correlate.

You're talking to someone that has been begging for intellectual stimulation because he's incapable of providing much of his own. He's just another right winger that genuinely believes he's smarter than most people despite constantly showing otherwise (which of course he has that unique right wing lack of self awareness while somehow also simultaneously only being able to see everything through his own personal vantage point).

I can't imagine looking at my pistol and thinking, "this makes me feel safe." I do have a machete, but inherited it. It's pretty useless in the yard.

I also have a big heavy baseball bat near my front door. Yeah, dumb as fuck, like it's gonna protect me... I should just throw it out.

What you're missing is that you need to stroke the pistol, oil it up, slide some bullets into it, and pop it off, before you lick it clean.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
However, can you explain this? Why did Remington go bankrupt because of the bone spurs president?
BLM marching aside, Dumpy's term has been lined with reports of gun industry performing much worse than during Obama. It's hard to scaremonger that the libbruls are gonna come and take everybody's guns when there's a cryptofascist sitting in the WH... The NRA also ended up in economic hardship during his term. Maybe correlation=!causation, but it's a curious correlation all the same I'd say. *shrug*

What you're missing is that you need to stroke the pistol, oil it up, slide some bullets into it, and pop it off, before you lick it clean.
olollolo Hahahaha!

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Exactly.
The economy was much better under Barry O and he never actually banned any guns, in fact he made two small changes that improved rights for gun owners.
But any time theres a Democrat in office the nut jobs assume their guns will disappear so they start buying up everything they see. Deep down inside manufacturers actually like Democrats because they usually lead to increased sales when in office.

With Donald in office the economy is tanking but not as many people are worried about guns so they arent buying them. Gun shops and manufacturers go under.

mistercrabby

Mar 9, 2013
Heh. You're a real piece of work, huh? Your numbers are from Jan 1 to April 30. George Floyd was killed on May 25 & the protests ensued from there. The two don't correlate.

Suck it harder...

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, June 2020 saw the highest number of gun purchases since the FBI started keeping track 20 years ago. Further, this year's June number increased over June 2019 by 135.7 percent. According to the unadjusted number from the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System, 3,909,502 background checks were conducted.

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
NRA lost their biggest sponsor with the whole Butina misunderstanding and acting proxy of NO COLLUSION funds from Russia to Trumps campaign WITCH HUNT. I can imagine. NRA needs a HOAX facelift of sorts.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yum! Happiness is a warm gun. Well, I don't believe in having pets. I'm not against it, mind you, I just don't have any. Yeah, you don't have to feed a gun or get it shots. It's well behaved, is house broken. But TBH, makes me nervous.

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
The NRA going under would definitely be a silver lining for having to put up with Trump and watching him wreck this country. Not enough of one to make me want to keep him mind you.

Edit: and considering there are (according to wikipedia) almost 400 million guns in this country, I'd say the gun manufacturers going under are hardly a problem. We are the only country with more guns than citizens, and it's not close to say the least. 2nd place for a country of any size is Yemen with 52 per 100 people (and they have a rebellion going on lol!)

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
The NRA going under would definitely be a silver lining for having to put up with Trump and watching him wreck this country. Not enough of one to make me want to keep him mind you.

Edit: and considering there are (according to wikipedia) almost 400 million guns in this country, I'd say the gun manufacturers going under are hardly a problem. We are the only country with more guns than citizens, and it's not close to say the least. 2nd place for a country of any size is Yemen with 52 per 100 people (and they have a rebellion going on lol!)

But who will supply the world's firearms then?

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Suck it harder...

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, June 2020 saw the highest number of gun purchases since the FBI started keeping track 20 years ago. Further, this year's June number increased over June 2019 by 135.7 percent. According to the unadjusted number from the FBI's National Instant Criminal Background Check System, 3,909,502 background checks were conducted.

Congrats on finally getting some relevant data.

But this doesn't really provide crucial context about who's buying or why, and the truth likely isn't nearly as romantic as you made it out to be earlier. A surge like that is likely panic buying from people who believe they're under more of a threat than they are. Say, Trump drones who've been fooled into thinking rioting is more widespread than it is (it's actually a tiny sliver of the protests). It's not a healthy response if it's driven by misinformation and irrational fear.

Reactions: brycejones

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Suck it harder...

So ammosexuals stocking up hoping for the boogaloo? The gun lobby appreciates your pants wetting.

Reactions: Meghan54

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
So ammosexuals stocking up hoping for the boogaloo? The gun lobby appreciates your pants wetting.

So you can NOT dispute his post and what do you do? Insult, name calling, and all of liberal usual tactics. How sad and pathetic.

Here you go, suck on this -

So what now? What other names are you and your ilks going to use on these new gun buyers? No penis? Oh wait....they are females. LOL.

Last edited:
Reactions: mistercrabby

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Congrats on finally getting some relevant data.

But this doesn't really provide crucial context about who's buying or why, and the truth likely isn't nearly as romantic as you made it out to be earlier. A surge like that is likely panic buying from people who believe they're under more of a threat than they are. Say, Trump drones who've been fooled into thinking rioting is more widespread than it is (it's actually a tiny sliver of the protests). It's not a healthy response if it's driven by misinformation and irrational fear.

See link above about new gun buyers. DT drones? Fooled? Irrational? Anything new to insult because you have nothing else to dispute his post?

Do you have anything to back up your assertion? Something relevant as the other poster did, eh?

How about FBI background checks set another all time high record -

CA and IL are in the top 5. Must be them stupid panic buying red states eh? ROTFLMAO.

Last edited:

mistercrabby

Mar 9, 2013
So, I went back and looked at the Salon article the OP linked and it’s a pretty standard lefty anti-2A piece. Not much to it.

The gist being 1. the NRA is losing funding, mainstream support is eroding and it’s leadership is dysfunctional. 2. The firearms industry is bottoming out and heading down the tubes.

I stipulate the obvious foolfuckery exhibited by the NRA leadership, especially and primarily it’s president. The other conclusions are laughable and a gun grabbers wet dream.

The follow-on comments from the vast majority of posts are typical rehash of anti- NRA, 2A, gun owner, gun industry narrative.

I say this to ask a few challenging questions toward the original premise to follow as separate posts...

mistercrabby

Mar 9, 2013
2. Do you really think all gun owners are, gleaning from many, many responses here, stupid incest babies, nut jobs, racists, forever trumpers, right wingers, rubes, pussies, etc, bad people, etc?

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
We have the right to bear arms, and we are far and away the only nation on earth that does so in the numbers we do. I don't "hate" the people that collect guns, though I think their justifications are bullshit. They have guns because they are allowed to have them, and because they want them. That is the one and only thing about gun ownership that isn't bullshit. (Stolen from Jim Jefferies).

I think it's pretty nuts that we are the only country that thinks so many citizens owning so many guns is a great idea, but we gotta be us I guess.

I also think the 2nd amendment is outdated and based on times and tech that are far, far in the past, but getting rid of it is a complete non-starter. Likewise, I'd prefer "the left" just leave the issue alone because it's never going to change. We love our guns, and people are going to die in relatively large numbers (compared to other countries) because of it. So be it, it's the American experiment. I'd rather the Democrats let it go and focus on other issues that maybe won't lose them elections and that are more important (IMO of course).

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
We have the right to bear arms, and we are far and away the only nation on earth that does so in the numbers we do. I don't "hate" the people that collect guns, though I think their justifications are bullshit. They have guns because they are allowed to have them, and because they want them. That is the one and only thing about gun ownership that isn't bullshit. (Stolen from Jim Jefferies).

I think it's pretty nuts that we are the only country that thinks so many citizens owning so many guns is a great idea, but we gotta be us I guess.

I also think the 2nd amendment is outdated and based on times and tech that are far, far in the past, but getting rid of it is a complete non-starter. Likewise, I'd prefer "the left" just leave the issue alone because it's never going to change. We love our guns, and people are going to die in relatively large numbers (compared to other countries) because of it. So be it, it's the American experiment. I'd rather the Democrats let it go and focus on other issues that maybe won't lose them elections and that are more important (IMO of course).
It's typically been a non-starter for the Dems. Some sentiment is changing with the carnage at the schools. Something has to change.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
See link above about new gun buyers. DT drones? Fooled? Irrational? Anything new to insult because you have nothing else to dispute his post?

Do you have anything to back up your assertion? Something relevant as the other poster did, eh?

How about FBI background checks set another all time high record -

CA and IL are in the top 5. Must be them stupid panic buying red states eh? ROTFLMAO.

By the "link above," you mean the pre-pandemic article that covered long-term trends about women and gun ownership, provided only vague, anecdotal evidence and didn't even name the study it was supposed to focus on? You mean that horrible excuse for reporting?

And my criticism of mistercrabby's claims revolves around one very important thing: he's missing crucial information and context. He takes the spike in gun sales and weaves an unsupported tale about how these are brave Americans asserting their rights to self-defense. The most demographic data I've seen is that 40 percent are women. There isn't more than an anecdotal explanation as to who these people are and why they're buying. My assertion of the character of the buyers wasn't definitive, but it also wasn't intended to be -- it is true that Fox and other conservative outlets have deliberately misled people about the scale of rioting, though.

(I'd also add that we don't know who in California and Illinois is buying those guns, so you can't really make assumptions about their political leanings.)

More importantly, there's a historical pattern of panic-driven gun buying whenever there's a large event, whether it's a particularly horrific mass shooting, the onset of the pandemic or images of riots on TV screens. When things settle down, even if only superficially, gun purchasing goes down. In other words, the buying is most likely sparked by a knee-jerk reaction to the news of the moment, not a principled stand on self-defense.

You see the issue? Both you and mistercrabby are taking fragmented, sometimes irrelevant data and weaving whole narratives around them that require evidence you simply don't have. These are basic failures of logic and critical thinking. If you were in the report writing classes I taught, you'd have received a failing grade.

Reactions: Meghan54

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
By the "link above," you mean the pre-pandemic article that covered long-term trends about women and gun ownership, provided only vague, anecdotal evidence and didn't even name the study it was supposed to focus on? You mean that horrible excuse for reporting?

And my criticism of mistercrabby's claims revolves around one very important thing: he's missing crucial information and context. He takes the spike in gun sales and weaves an unsupported tale about how these are brave Americans asserting their rights to self-defense. The most demographic data I've seen is that 40 percent are women. There isn't more than an anecdotal explanation as to who these people are and why they're buying. My assertion of the character of the buyers wasn't definitive, but it also wasn't intended to be -- it is true that Fox and other conservative outlets have deliberately misled people about the scale of rioting, though.

(I'd also add that we don't know who in California and Illinois is buying those guns, so you can't really make assumptions about their political leanings.)

More importantly, there's a historical pattern of panic-driven gun buying whenever there's a large event, whether it's a particularly horrific mass shooting, the onset of the pandemic or images of riots on TV screens. When things settle down, even if only superficially, gun purchasing goes down. In other words, the buying is most likely sparked by a knee-jerk reaction to the news of the moment, not a principled stand on self-defense.

You see the issue? Both you and mistercrabby are taking fragmented, sometimes irrelevant data and weaving whole narratives around them that require evidence you simply don't have. These are basic failures of logic and critical thinking. If you were in the report writing classes I taught, you'd have received a failing grade.

Gotta love how you dismissed my links and the other poster's assertion while you are still UNABLE to provide anything to back up your assertions.

Remember these gems of yours?

"Trump drones"

" been fooled"

"driven by misinformation"

"irrational fear"

I asked you already where are the supports of your assertions/statements and so far, nothing.

You were saying something about "basic failures of logic and critical thinking"

Failing grade you said? LOL. Do as you say and not as you do, eh? Uh huh.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
2. Do you really think all gun owners are, gleaning from many, many responses here, stupid incest babies, nut jobs, racists, forever trumpers, right wingers, rubes, pussies, etc, bad people, etc?

Only the ones who own more than 5 guns.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Remington is declaring bankruptcy for the second time since 2018 because it is being mismanaged into the ground by idiots. This is a sad state of affairs for one of the oldest gun makers in the USA. Hopefully the Navajo nation will lead a coalition of buyers into buying and turning the company around.

That said, if anyone thinks the gun industry isn't alive and well and selling guns like hot cakes they are delusional. Gun shops all over the country are sold out and ammo is hard to come by with prices soaring. New gun owners are buying guns up at record rates.

I'm not going to debate the reason why or what kind of perfect society I would like to live in. I'm only stating facts. When protests turn into riots, and idiot presidents use force to clear churches for photo ops, and politicians on both sides use pandemics as an excuse to stomp on constitutional rights and suspend due process (no, I'm not talking about wearing masks) it's not totally irrational for folks to feel poop my be headed towards the oscillating cooling device.

Cackle all you want and quote all your statistics all you want, anti-gunners. Hundreds of thousands of Americans have decide that since they are paying for guns to defend them one way or the other, they want direct access to a firearm rather than having to rely the very cops folks are threatening to defund to show up to protect them.

And stop assuming everyone pro-gun is also pro-trump. Lots of pro-gun folks hate Trump, even if they recognize he is the lesser of two evils when it comes to the 2A issue. Trump is no champion of the Constitution and he'll shit all over it, human rights and anything else he has to in order to achieve his childish needs and wants.

Gunmakers have been living on fear mongering for a long time. The NRA runs their advertising campaign. Looks like you bought into it a long time ago.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Suck it harder...

Hey! You might have something there! All you had in your previous post was a shitty ignorant attitude. Sorry if I hurt your fee-fees. Now give us some links.