Now with more fingerpointing: Nexus 4 Shortages due to Poor Estimates by Google

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by DLeRium, Jan 17, 2013.

1. DLeRium

DLeRium Lifer

http://www.engadget.com/2013/01/17/french-lg-exec-says-nexus-4-shortages-due-to-google/

I'd say its both parties' faults.

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - fingerpointing Nexus Shortages Forum Date
    Most recent LG phones in bootloop defect class action Mobile Devices & Gadgets Apr 11, 2017
    Call recording on Nexus 5x not possible? Mobile Devices & Gadgets Apr 9, 2017
    Nexus 6P battery & accessory search Mobile Devices & Gadgets Mar 7, 2017
    Was considering a Nexus 5X for my GF, what should I buy instead? Mobile Devices & Gadgets Dec 29, 2016

3. RedRooster

RedRooster Diamond Member

Well, LG sure blew their chance regardless, I'd say. They shall not be used again for Nexus stuff. Ridiculous.

4. Muyoso

Muyoso Senior member

I bet LG is the one making the 2013 Nexus 7.

5. dagamer34

dagamer34 Platinum Member

If Google didn't think that a phone priced at $299 which would normally sell for $499 would sell significantly better than the Galaxy Nexus, someone needs to be fired.

6. dagamer34

Yep, they've already spilled the beans on a 7" 1920x1200 screen which they said would go into a product shipping this year.

7. Raduque

Raduque Lifer

It's too bad, too. My mother needs a new phone (busted up the display on her GS2) and wants an N4 8gb.

8. Mopetar

Mopetar Diamond Member

It's kind of funny watching companies out of their element. Google is about as inept at doing hardware and physical products as Apple is at social and cloud services and Microsoft is at, well, everything.

9. RampantAndroid

RampantAndroid Diamond Member

I'd buy my GF a Nexus 4 because worst case it'll hold its value...but I can't.

10. Ravynmagi

Ravynmagi Platinum Member

I wonder if LG has even met Google's alleged "low estimates"?

11. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

Probably not, given Google's statements that shipments form LG have been sparse and erratic.

Agreed too, that LG has blown their chance as a Nexus provider.

12. Chiropteran

Chiropteran Diamond Member

13. Ravynmagi

14. Mopetar

Mopetar Diamond Member

15. magomago

magomago Lifer

Agreed. I don't care if there was a problem in the beginning. What I do care about is that it is a phone that has been near impossible to get since it launched, TWO MONTHS AGO.

Of course, with Rumors of Nexus 5 coming in May, I would think people would want to wait. Too bad I'm stuck on an old flip phone right now and really want a replacement....

16. dagamer34

Thing is, there's a conflict of interest in LG making the Nexus 4 so cheap. Unless Google is subsidizing the device heavily (and who knows by how much), LG would much rather someone buy an Optimus G than a Nexus 4 because they own the relationship, not Google.

17. bearxor

bearxor Diamond Member

Seriously? Apple sold/fulfilled preorders of 5 million in a three day period. The best estimates put N4 production at < 500,000 units thus far. These two are far cries from one another at this point.

But I honestly don't care whose fault it is. I don't think the other 500,000 people who want one do either. They just want their phones. Stop pointing fingers and start working those chineese workers to the bone assembling little devices.

18. lothar

lothar Diamond Member

That won't happen.

19. Ravynmagi

LG isn't making the Nexus phone because a gun was put to their head. It was their choice, they wanted to make it. So I don't believe in this conflict of interest bit at all.

20. Ravynmagi

The Nexus Q is situation so entirely different. A good thing about Google is they experiment with new ideas. This was an experiment and unfortunately it was poorly received, so Google has gone back to the drawing board with it.

21. dagamer34

That's true, however there is an odd phenomenon that has happened at least 3 times so far that when Google is working with a company, their own phones magically get better. Look at HTC, Samsung, and now LG and the hero products they released within the same time period: T-Mobile G1 (HTC)/HTC Hero, Motorola Droid, Nexus One (HTC)/HTC Desire, Nexus S (Samsung)/Galaxy S I & II, Galaxy Nexus (Samsung)/Galaxy S III, and now the Nexus 4 (LG)/Optimus G. I have to believe that working intimately with Google engineers provides these companies with information that they otherwise could not attain, or the sheer fact that Google is working with a company instantly increases their profile (odd, but consistently true).

Working with Google on a phone gives a company a magical boost in "street cred" among Android enthusiasts for a year for some weird reason. Notice how HTC and Motorola have floundered since they've fallen out of Google's good graces. It's an odd coincidence.

22. Raduque

Raduque Lifer

It's because the "Android enthusiasts" are a bunch of vocal minority nutballs who think the only device that's worth anything is a Nexus. :rolleyes:

23. Ravynmagi

I don't think I'm a nutball for wanting a phone that is stock and not bloated with silly custom UIs. Or a phone that gets regular updates, not one update 8 months later that will probably be it's only update. But then I've been called worse things. :)

24. Ravynmagi

I think LG realizes this supply issue, whatever the cause, is hurting their reputation. Which is why they are eager to deflect blame. I can't imagine this is a strategy, because if so it's one of the worst I've ever seen if so.

25. Mopetar

Mopetar Diamond Member

My point was that Google isn't terribly experienced with hardware, so they make bad decisions and mistakes when it comes to hardware, much like Apple is terrible at social (remember Ping) and cloud services.

26. Ravynmagi

Sorry that I'm going off course a bit now. But the hardware seemed pretty good. It was the software Google screwed up by locking it down to only Google services. Kinda surprised they didn't just combine that with Google TV and re-release the thing by now.