Now THIS is the future I'm talking about

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I've been wanting to try that for a while. One of these days I'll get a chance

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I almost did when I was in Aruba in March but declined just because of how much it cost. It was $120 for 40 minutes they let you split it between 2 people each for 20 minutes if you want. I asked if we could split it 3 way and he said no so we didn't end up doing it. I couldn't justify the $60 for 20 minutes when I probably would be ready to get off after like 5 or 10 minutes. It's one of those things that looks like it'll be real cool for a few minutes then be like "ok ... now what".

Reactions: Ken g6

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Meh, just skydive. Sure it doesn't last as long per jump, but it's a lot more freedom than having a jet ski umbillical cord. Likely safer too.

Red Storm

Lifer
Oct 2, 2005
Meh, just skydive. Sure it doesn't last as long per jump, but it's a lot more freedom than having a jet ski umbillical cord. Likely safer too.
I've been skydiving, it is nothing like the video in OP. They are two different activities.

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001

Safer o_O Jet board fails -> fall in water. Parachute fails -> slam into the earth @ ~ 120 MPH :eek:

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Safer o_O Jet board fails -> fall in water. Parachute fails -> slam into the earth @ ~ 120 MPH :eek:

Jetboard fails, potentially falling on jetski. Parachute fails, you use the other one. Skydiving is pretty safe. The biggest danger is experience related complacency. Now when you do have a double malfunction the gravity of the situation is pretty much unmatched, but the frequency of that is very, very low.

Reactions: Ajay and snarfbot

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000
Jetboard fails, potentially falling on jetski. Parachute fails, you use the other one. Skydiving is pretty safe. The biggest danger is experience related complacency. Now when you do have a double malfunction the gravity of the situation is pretty much unmatched, but the frequency of that is very, very low.
Risk with water sports is typically drowning....it's easier to do than you think. Sure, vests help a lot, but there's always risk and people can't get to you quickly unless they're in a boat.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
The best thing to come out of something so silly will be the inevitable crash videos. Some drunk is going to say "hey, watch this!" and launch himself headfirst through the hull of a cabin cruiser. Now that's entertainment.

Reactions: [DHT]Osiris

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I almost did when I was in Aruba in March but declined just because of how much it cost. It was $120 for 40 minutes they let you split it between 2 people each for 20 minutes if you want. I asked if we could split it 3 way and he said no so we didn't end up doing it. I couldn't justify the $60 for 20 minutes when I probably would be ready to get off after like 5 or 10 minutes. It's one of those things that looks like it'll be real cool for a few minutes then be like "ok ... now what".

We recently rented jetskis in the Poconos for $120 for an hour - expensive but worth it for the kids to experience (4 of us). I think what they're charging you there for that is fair, but you're right... if it's just you, it's not fun after a while.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
yeah I agree.