Now this is sweet- Nomination for "Person of the Year"

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
It won't matter who is actually chosen...Donny boy will just have another cover faked and hung in all the really important (to him) places.

mect

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2004
It won't matter who is actually chosen...Donny boy will just have another cover faked and hung in all the really important (to him) places.
It really wouldn't surprise me if his staff did this for him. Might have a fake cover already prepared.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I'd love it to be Kaepernick or Mueller, but I feel they may play it safe and go with Xi.

I hope they don't give it to Xi. I don't believe in patting thieves of intellectual property on the back, or bullies.

Nov 25, 2013
I'd love it to be Kaepernick or Mueller, but I feel they may play it safe and go with Xi.

I hope they don't give it to Xi. I don't believe in patting thieves of intellectual property on the back, or bullies.

After almost 100 years you'd think that folks would understand what Person of the Year means. It's not an award or commendation of any kind.

"Person of the Year (called Man of the Year or Woman of the Year until 1999[1]) is an annual issue of the United States news magazine Time that features and profiles a person, a group, an idea, or an object that "for better or for worse... has done the most to influence the events of the year".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Person_of_the_Year

Reactions: Sheik Yerbouti

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
It'll be "Me Too". Then, Mueller next year.

I'd love if it were Kaepernick though. It'd probably cause an aneurysm for Cheeto Mussolini.

I agree. It will be "#MeToo" for the feelz.

Kim Jong Un deserves the prize (obviously) but Time doesn't actually follow its own rules for selection. Osama Bin Ladin didn't get the prize either, and he definitely deserved it over "You, the reader"

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Xi actually makes the most sense, but I'd love for it to be Kaepernick.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
Xi actually makes the most sense, but I'd love for it to be Kaepernick.

How has Xi influenced the news more than Trump or Jong Un? I would agree that Xi is probably the most deserving of praise, at least of anybody on that list... but the criteria is "who has most influenced the news".

Out of curiosity I looked up the list... it's pretty weird stuff. You have war criminals like MBS on there, who's only claim to fame is bombing and starving Yemeni children along with imprisoning half his own family. He has almost no influence on the news and he's done nothing whatsoever to deserve acclaim. Why is he there?

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003

I'd love if it were Kaepernick though. It'd probably cause an aneurysm for Cheeto Mussolini.

Can a # be a Person of Year though? Or maybe does that mean Tarana Burke will get (more) credit for it?

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
"Pound me too" is a weird moniker to use for this particular movement.

FIVR

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2016
Can a # be a Person of Year though? Or maybe does that mean Tarana Burke will get (more) credit for it?

If not the hashtag, it will be "the women of the #Me Too movement".

It just occurs to me that MBS might be on there because Saudi media made a big stink about women being allowed to drive. They haven't actually implemented that at all but they have said that "they will once the infrastructure is built". I'm not sure what exact infrastructure changes are needed to allow Saudi citizens with vaginas to use cars, but they're working on it.

So that pretty much confirms that the Time editorial staff are trying to find people who "empower women".

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
How has Xi influenced the news more than Trump or Jong Un? I would agree that Xi is probably the most deserving of praise, at least of anybody on that list... but the criteria is "who has most influenced the news".
I think he's done more in the last few years to reshape the world than anyone else - and especially in this last year has upped to pace in which China boxes out the West for influence in Asia and Africa, with the New Silk Road being on top of that list of reasons. Being written into the Chinese constitution for life helps too.

I didn't know that was the criteria though - I suppose it's less likely for a Western news audience then.

Ackmed

Diamond Member
Oct 1, 2003
After almost 100 years you'd think that folks would understand what Person of the Year means. It's not an award or commendation of any kind.

"Person of the Year (called Man of the Year or Woman of the Year until 1999[1]) is an annual issue of the United States news magazine Time that features and profiles a person, a group, an idea, or an object that "for better or for worse... has done the most to influence the events of the year".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Person_of_the_Year

If hes on the cover, its "for worse". His hypocrisy is amazing. I have little doubt that Time will put him as person of the year, and write a piece on how he has been so great. They've been a shit mag for years now, especially after 2014.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006

Get it Right!:= It's Cheeto Benito

also acceptable: Il Douche.

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000

You would think not, but one year a recently they had a mirror on the cover and the person of the year was everyone.

The more I think about it the "Me Too" movement makes sense. It came out of nowhere (I mean Hollywood has used casting couches since Edison invented the camera) and had a huge effect this year. Plus it will piss Trump off-but maybe not, as he will be mentioned in the article.

I'm putting my bet there too. If its a person my sentimental favorite is Kaepernick. McCain was in the running until he abandoned his principled ethics stand last week-again.