Now this is how you represent the people! (Katie porter)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I agree she does rock!1 But this just popped up on my news feed --
Republicans Reject Democrats’ Bill to Guarantee Free Coronavirus Testing and Sick Leave

House Democrats introduced a coronavirus relief bill Wednesday night that includes free coronavirus testing, paid sick leave for workers, food security assistance, and expanded unemployment insurance. By Thursday morning, Republicans in Congress and the White House had already indicated they would not support the proposal.

The package aims to help those Americans most likely to suffer economically as the global coronavirus pandemic worsens. The measures included in the bill are:

• Free coronavirus testing for everyone who needs a test, including the uninsured
  • Paid emergency leave covering two-thirds of wages for most workers, up to $4,000 a month. The proposal includes 14 days of paid sick leave and up to three months of paid family and medical leave per worker.
  • $2 billion to expand unemployment insurance, which would add protections for furloughed workers
  • An additional $1 billion in funding for food security programs, including food stamps, student meals, Meals on Wheels, and food banks
  • Protections for healthcare workers and other workers who are in contact with patients exposed to coronavirus or who are responsible for cleaning at-risk places
  • Increased federal funding for Medicaid to help states offset higher costs.
There is more.....

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Great. Now someone needs to get ahead of the Republicans on the election before they BS their way into canceling it.

I checked NPR's website. Did not find story Trump specifically blocked testing but did find this.

Politico reporter Dan Diamond says infighting at the Department of Health and Human Services and the need to flatter Trump impeded the response to the coronavirus.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Republicans Reject Democrats’ Bill to Guarantee Free Coronavirus Testing and Sick Leave

House Democrats introduced a coronavirus relief bill Wednesday night that includes free coronavirus testing, paid sick leave for workers, food security assistance, and expanded unemployment insurance. By Thursday morning, Republicans in Congress and the White House had already indicated they would not support the proposal.

The package aims to help those Americans most likely to suffer economically as the global coronavirus pandemic worsens. The measures included in the bill are:

• Free coronavirus testing for everyone who needs a test, including the uninsured
  • Paid emergency leave covering two-thirds of wages for most workers, up to $4,000 a month. The proposal includes 14 days of paid sick leave and up to three months of paid family and medical leave per worker.
  • $2 billion to expand unemployment insurance, which would add protections for furloughed workers
  • An additional $1 billion in funding for food security programs, including food stamps, student meals, Meals on Wheels, and food banks
  • Protections for healthcare workers and other workers who are in contact with patients exposed to coronavirus or who are responsible for cleaning at-risk places
There is more.....
Democrats need to push this bill in every media outlet over, over and over again. Then just wait. Go on every cable/TV channel and tell people what's in this bill. Why its written this way and say Republicans are holding it up while people are dying and losing their income. Fuck those Republicans

dawp

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
ECON 101:

The administration does NOT have the authority or the power to make testing free today or ever. SOMEBODY has to pay for it. And if its taxes that means YOU are paying for it, even if you dont get it.
I have no problem with that, it's what the government should do in a situation like this outbreak.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

There is more.....

This may come as a surprise to you, but republicans lie often.

Feb 4, 2009
ECON 101:

The administration does NOT have the authority or the power to make testing free today or ever. SOMEBODY has to pay for it. And if its taxes that means YOU are paying for it, even if you dont get it.

I’m pretty sure she means the Government will pay for it as in the government buys the kits, prepaid in lab work and gives the kit out.
Obviously the kit & testing costs money, we all understand magic fairies didn’t make the kit and process the kit.