Now that Trump lost, will Supreme Court judges Thomas and Alito retire now and let Trump pick replacements?

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
making him the only Pres in modern history to select 5 Supreme Court judges in 1 term.

eelw

Diamond Member
Dec 4, 1999
Why would they? They all know he's a nutjob. Even ACB, Kavanaugh and Gorsuch well probably thankful he selected them, I don't see any of them breaking the law just to give him another 4 years

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
A lame duck president with an outgoing Republican senate, replacing Supreme Court judges? Sounds far fetched but it would be an open invitation for Dems to do whatever they want if they ever take back the senate and have the presidency if that were to happen.

Reactions: hal2kilo

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
Why would they? They all know he's a nutjob. Even ACB, Kavanaugh and Gorsuch well probably thankful he selected them, I don't see any of them breaking the law just to give him another 4 years

Umm... he’s suggesting that currently serving conservative justices might resign and allow Trump and the current senate to appoint/confirm younger replacements their spots before Biden is sworn in, thereby making sure 5 seats stay conservative for potentially 20+ years instead of just 3 he recently appointed.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
I doubt it. The legitimacy of the Supreme Court is teetering as it is and the right has a comfortable majority.

Maybe if Democrats had won the Senate they would try something like this but now? I don’t think so.

Reactions: hal2kilo

FirNaTine

Jun 6, 2005
I doubt it. The legitimacy of the Supreme Court is teetering as it is and the right has a comfortable majority.

Maybe if Democrats had won the Senate they would try something like this but now? I don’t think so.

It wouldn’t change the current ideological makeup, but extend the potential length of the current majority.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It wouldn’t change the current ideological makeup, but extend the potential length of the current majority.
Right, but that’s a pretty modest gain for demolishing the credibility of the court. I don’t think they are above doing something like this, I just think they would want more of a payoff for it.

Reactions: FirNaTine

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
I'm kind of surprised Uncle Thomas didn't retire halfway into Trump's term. I thought I read somewhere before he had no desire to work for life.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
At that point the Supreme Court goes from plausable deniability in terms of politicization straight to the emperor has no clothes mode.

SC justices would be blatantly culpible in affecting the make-up of the court.

All that said, If Biden does ever end up with a shot at a nominee, it better be Merrick Garland again...

MtnMan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2004
Please don't post while under the influence of shroooms...

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
what if....and i mean this is a big hypothetical here...but what if they hold off on retirement until biden is seated?

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
At that point the Supreme Court goes from plausable deniability in terms of politicization straight to the emperor has no clothes mode.

SC justices would be blatantly culpible in affecting the make-up of the court.

All that said, If Biden does ever end up with a shot at a nominee, it better be Merrick Garland again...

Why Garland? He was the compromise choice the Republicans kept asking Obama to nominate and he'll be 68 Friday. No thanks, if Biden gets the senate and an opening it better go to a 45 year-old Ginsburg clone.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

Wouldn't want to get people energized to vote the Dems in for Senate in GA.

obidamnkenobi

Golden Member
Sep 16, 2010
No way. The sickos on the court live and breath for the power it gives them, on both sides. They won't give that up to play bridge at the senior home and complain that their grandkids never call. Why didn't RBG retire in 2013 when Obama had a 4 seat majority in the senate!? You couldn't ask for a better setup to ensure her sucessor is liberal! She was already old, the politics could only get worse. Why did she cling on?? Selfish power-greed that's why!