Now that Netzero is gone, now what do I use?

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000
Darn netzero. I reached their 40 hour limit a few days ago and have been searching for a quick replacement and fast! I am using juno right now and it isn't even my account I am using. My juno account has been banned or something from using juno since they said I was using too much of their resources up or something. I am about to get bluelight but the 25 hour limit sucks even more than the 40 hour one from netzero. What is this 40 hour limit for anyways? I mean they are making money off of us still and for longer periods of times meaning that they should in technicality make more money off of people that stay on all the time versus someone who gets on like an hour a month. I really need a new service in Houston, Texas area. And paid service is a BIG no since when I brought up the subject last night all my dad did was yell "GIVE IT UP!!!!" and there was a dead silence for the rest of dinner.

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000

<< Give what up? >>

Exactly what I was thinking. I had only asked my dad for DSL one time other than last night so i don't see why he was so mad. My mom told me after dinner it was because he was stressed out from paying taxes and stuff or something.

rhinox99

Golden Member
Sep 5, 2000
How does netzero keep track of your 40 hours? Is it based on per account? Can't you just make like 4 of them and then use one after another every month? Sure it's a hassle but it gets you online... I haven't used netzero since it first came out so I'm not too familiar with it. Ask your close friends for the isp logins if they trust you enough, I know in my area the isp gives you unlimited simultaneous logins and unlimited hours so your friend doesn't lose anything.

I have like 3 people using my dialup account which is supposed to be my backup when my dsl goes down, no problems so far!

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Got an American Express card? They are offering unlimited free Internet access. :D

They don't saddle you with a big old banner, just a postage stamp sized icon you can place anywhere on your desktop. It pops up ads every ten minutes, or so, but as soon as I rebooted, that stopped, too. I think Zone Alarm may be the reason. I'm not complaining. :)

When you first install it, the icon is on your desktop all the time, even when you're not on line. I called their 24/7 toll-free customer service to get the instructions for turning it off on boot up.

Ponyboy25

Aug 16, 2000
Hey Syborg1211, maybe you need to show your dad that you can actually use the internet for something good (in his eyes). He probably notices that you just use it for your enjoyment, and not for anything productive. Then, once he's shelled out the cash, start goofing off again, just don't give up on that &quot;image&quot; that you create in your dad's eyes when he's looking. Just my .02;).

zbalat

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Harvey,
Getting rid of the icon is easy. Run msconfig and in the startup folder uncheck gluon.

GiLtY

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2000
If you are old enough, just go get a job. that's what im going to do when i get a job, and i'll be off the 56k life!!!! Cable, Cable, CABLE!!!!!!!!!!!

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000
Yea, I start working at my job sometime this week, but I don't really feel like spending my money on internet especially with thoughts of a new cpu, new mobo, new hard drive, and new gfx card all in my mind right now. Not to mention the sound system I am planning on getting.

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
You dont want to pay for internet service with the money you are going to be making at your job, but you have no problems hitting your Dad up to pay for it with the money from his job? Oh yeah, reminds me why I am going to get a vasectomy.

Rendus

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2000
Bah. People think everything should be free.

If you're connected to NetZero 24/7, you're not clicking on ad banners, which is how they make their money (not that you click them when you're actually there, but at least they have a chance then). All you're doing then is wasting bandwidth and an incoming line. Besides, their service is... Lacking.

Break down, pay $10-20 a month, and get a real ISP.

Syborg1211

Diamond Member
Jul 29, 2000
Wow, I never thought I would get flamed for asking for a good free internet service...

The fact of the matter is that my dad is making much, much more money than I and since most regular parents already pay for their child's internet service I think of internet of something to be taken care of by my parents. Besides, a new processor is more important to myself than internet. And I did actually click on ads on Netzero every hour or so, I always thought it let you stay on longer.

SuperSix

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You're getting flamed because you expect your parents to foot the bill for something you are using for entertainment, then say that you don't want to pay for it yourself. Like driving, internet access is a privilege, not a right. Go out and mow 1 lawn a month, you will have your $20.00 for internet access. WORK for what you want.

Better yet, show your dad all the pr0n on the Internet, he'll be ponying up for broadband quickly. ;)

DesignDawg

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
This is a hopeless cause, my man. You say you wonder why they imposed a limit? Don't they make enough money? NO. They make NO money. That's the same reason they're gonna be out of business completely in the next few months. These free net companies have been dropping like flies lately, and it's only gonna accelerate. Two year ago, you could get just about anything free. Computers, internet access, TV's, EVEN CARS. All of it was based on the idea of pushing advertising. (The car was a banner with wheels) Now, everyone has realized that that concept DOES NOT WORK, and they're all going bankrupt. I'd suggest getting on a decent pay service ASAP. Go with a big one. You know they're not going anywhere. And eveyrone else is right. If your parents won't pay for it, pay it yourself. It's amazing how little work it takes to pay a $20.00 net bill every month. Hell, if you get an actual job, you'll make enough to pay for internet, a separate phone line, and still have some money left over for other crap.

Ricky
DesignDawg