Now that I've started to do BOINC...

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Are there any projects out there that would benefit from 8GB of system RAM? Keep in mind that I have a quad-core, so with four tasks going, they would potentially get up to 2GB each.

I find that my RAM is woefully underutilized (no VMs here yet), so perhaps I could put it to good use?

My only 3.0Ghz CPU does already get quite a workout from PrimeGrid.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
There are a number of projects I won't do because they use too much RAM. The worst I've used are Superlink@Technion and NFS@Home.

The bad news is I don't think using more RAM gets you more cobblestones. :(

So why do you have two listed in your sig? :confused:

I meant that my CPU was "only" 3.0Ghz, nothing higher. Would be nice to have a 4.5Ghz 2500K, but that will be a while yet.

Btw, is it possible to have two computers running BOINC, but only have one computer processing one project, and another computer processing a different project? Just attach the client to the different projects when you install?

GLeeM

Elite Member
Apr 2, 2004
Btw, is it possible to have two computers running BOINC, but only have one computer processing one project, and another computer processing a different project? Just attach the client to the different projects when you install?
There may be a better way, but I think you can make a Home profile and a Work profile and then have each computer set differently.

Superlink@Technion currently has no work.

RobertE

May 14, 2005
I meant that my CPU was "only" 3.0Ghz, nothing higher. Would be nice to have a 4.5Ghz 2500K, but that will be a while yet.

Absolutely.

You could have one rig doing projects A, B & C, with another doing X, Y & Z. Just attached to whatever projects you want to run on each box.

Aegeon

Golden Member
Nov 2, 2004
The Harvard Clean Energy Project would seem to another option to consider.

(It basically is helping to research cheaper solar cells.)

While its memory use is variable, it can get sufficiently high that the default setting for the program is to run only one instance of the task in order to avoid memory problems for some users. (This can be adjusted manually in the project preferences.)

Incidentally the current phase 2 version of the forum for the project is at this link.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That Harvard Clean Enery project is WCG, is WCG BOINC?

Edit: Uh-oh. There's two teams on WCG, "Anandtech", and "TeAm Anandtech". Both with nearly equal number of members. Which am I supposed to choose?

Edit: I don't see where to edit project prefs on WCG's web site. How do I change WCG's "resource share" to something other than 100?

Edit: Ok, I have it figured out now.

Last edited:

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Please use the TeAm AnandTech team - that is us ...

WCG is a BOINC-project, but you have to create an account on their website.
Earlier WCG was a non-boinc-project, but I don't know if those cleints are maintained.

sangyup81

Golden Member
Feb 22, 2005
who the heck is the other team if they have just about as many members? and if both teams are crunching for TA, then why don't they just merge?

I might be remembering this wrong but I think on the description of Anandtech, it says to switch over to Team Anandtech

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
who the heck is the other team if they have just about as many members? and if both teams are crunching for TA, then why don't they just merge?

Because the admins in WCG say it is impossible to merge teams.
AnandTech is the "old" team. We could not get the stats sites to merge Anandtech's stats with the stats of TeAm AnandTech.
I have tried to get the teams merged, but the founder of Anandtech can not be reached and there is no mechanism to change foundership.
I have also tried to get the membership of Anandtech to switch teams to TeAm AnandTech but got only little response. Although AnandTech's membership is larger than ours (but we have grown more ...), their results are not as large:

TeAm AnandTech _ 292 828 740 points __ 89 members __ run time: 303:072:09:09:09 __ results returned 562 885
AnandTech _______ 62 255 866 points _ 126 members __ run time: 114:102:14:20:10 __ results returned 146 352

Also TeAm AnandTech has much higher standings ... in spite of being smaller, and having crunched a shorter time ...
As you can see, the top three teams count their membership in 10 000s and the top 30 in 1 000s.
We are in rank 357 if you count the members, in rank 117 when counting points, 124 when counting results and 145 when counting total run time.
We would jump quite a few ranks if we could merge the teams, but we will reach the higher ranks anyhow, although it will take more time.

Last edited:

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
After reaching 1 M points in Correlizer, I'll go back to crunch WCG with at least 5 more computers because I really find the projects in WCG worth crunching. :)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Yeah, it does not give so much ... but it takes less than 30 minutes or so to crunch each WU, so you get some 45 - 50 WUs/core/day and having some 50 cores to crunch with ... <petrus shrugs>

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, it does not give so much ... but it takes less than 30 minutes or so to crunch each WU, so you get some 45 - 50 WUs/core/day and having some 50 cores to crunch with ... <petrus shrugs>

So I get 400 days worth of crunching at that rate.

Ken g6

Programming Moderator, Elite Member
Dec 11, 1999
So I get 400 days worth of crunching at that rate.
1,000,000 points
----------------------------------------
10points/wu*50wu/(core*day)*50 core

1,000,000 points
------------------
25,000 points/day

40 days

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
I put on an AMD 3.1G system running Win7/64 for this project.

Hopefully it will help.

A lower end system is chunking on the Cancer project

Last edited:

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Thanks EagleKeeper! :thumbsup:

BTW, what name do you use in Correlizer - I have not seen you on the TeAm as yet!

Could it by any small chance be that you have forgotten to join the team in the Correlizer-project? :eek:

Last edited:

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Thanks EagleKeeper! :thumbsup:

BTW, what name do you use in Correlizer - I have not seen you on the TeAm as yet!

Could it by any small chance be that you have forgotten to join the team in the Correlizer-project? :eek:

Did not join the team until just now.

Other system has been used for the Cancer project