Now that I live in an apartment, should I set my wireless to WPA or just strong WEP?

aircooled

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
I've always used WEP back in the sub-division, as no one could even see my signal. Now that I'm in an apartment complex, what security should I use on my wireless?

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Trust me, you're not important enough for someone to hack into your router.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
i have issues with mine so i just leave it unsecured

btw, the password rules for wpa/wep whatever is stupid..the 10 digit rule and etc

BillGates

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2001
Originally posted by: LS20

btw, the password rules for wpa/wep whatever is stupid..the 10 digit rule and etc

My wife's Mac Book Pro had issues with WPA and WEP, so I just set it to unencrypted and do MAC filtering. Seems to do the job... (WRT54G with newest DD-WRT firmware)

MrWizzard

Platinum Member
Mar 24, 2002
Mac Filter FTW, yea it's not encrypted then but the chances someone will have the equipment to listen in are small.

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
WPA2 radius and use some free box and run livingston on it.

EDIT - lock down your real network and set up a dummy one that connects but is choked down, has strange dns or filtering and enjoy.

sourceninja

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2005
I love that my near by access points are open. Gives me a way to save bandwith when I download stuff.

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Originally posted by: aircooled
I've always used WEP back in the sub-division, as no one could even see my signal. Now that I'm in an apartment complex, what security should I use on my wireless?

I used to use WEP, only recently did I configure my wireless router for WPA security.

Just go with either. WPA is easier to setup on your wireless devices though.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
i run WPA because it seems to be more stable on our particular equipment combos. but i think you'll be fine as long as it isn't totally open.

LS20

Banned
Jan 22, 2002
Originally posted by: BillGates

My wife's Mac Book Pro had issues with WPA and WEP, so I just set it to unencrypted and do MAC filtering. Seems to do the job... (WRT54G with newest DD-WRT firmware)

good idea - i should do that when i get home

MX2

Lifer
Apr 11, 2004
No security. Then when the RIAA comes a knocking, you can blame it on leaving your network open

AmigaMan

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: BillGates

That's weird. After reading this thread, I decided to switch from WEP to WPA. My MacBook Pro was able to switch to it very easy, while my XP Pro running Dell Inspiron is having quite some trouble. And this is with a Microsoft MN 700 router too.

edit: Actually after a reboot my Inspiron 9200 is working well now.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Reel
Share the love. No security.

for sure - in my old complex I managed to get by, by using neighbor's wireless networks - its really nice, I was careful not to use it too much though.

get dd-wrt if your router is supported and make it forward to a small web page when they connect that says they accept all responsibility

you could also give them your apt info in case they want to give you like $5 if I knew which neighbors had their network open I would have gladly paid some of the bill, I just couldn't afford a connection myself.

LtPage1

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2004
None, so the music/movie industries can't sue you for pirating music and movies. :)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
my gf's computer has never been able to work properly when i secure my network. so the only thing i can do is MAC filter.

Skeeedunt

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2005
I thought MAC filtering was easily spoofed? Or is it just to keep the non-technos out?

RichUK

Lifer
Feb 14, 2005
Originally posted by: Skeeedunt
I thought MAC filtering was easily spoofed? Or is it just to keep the non-technos out?

If someone used a packet sniffer, I guess so.

It?s always good to have encryption and MAC filtering.

Although, I don?t have MAC filtering enabled as I can?t be arsed to set up each new device on the router side.

One simple WPA2 key is all I need.

EDIT: I meant WPA2 not WPA.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
WPA, because my wireless adapater doesn't support WPA2. I wrote a program to randomly generate a key for me.