Now minimal wagers want a hike big enuf to afford a 2 bedroom apartment

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I dont doubt that. I wanted to make sure he was not trying to say that unions do better outside of their industry, because his comment did not say much. Before I responded to that, I wanted to make sure I would not put words in his mouth. His comment about the poor being the same as a slave is pretty damn stupid, so I want to make sure I don't over assume about his stupidity.

No, if you met me IRL you probably think I was a moran. I'm comfortable with that.

Somehow, though, you still let yourself get all uppity about some stupid comment by a moran on a web forum. Stupid is as stupid does.

Don't forget, I'm a voter too.

Last edited:

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Did you ever read that white or silver book called Extreme Capitalism
Or at least I think that is the title.
It is the idea to almost do away with the US GOVT completely.

Run everything off of profits. It was also the idea where getting the idea to remove minimum wage so that Bachman which she stated she can pay a female 25 cents and hour if need be. She touted it as a legit business decision and this is the type of people you are supporting to drive America down to 3rd world status.

It really is sick and disgusting

Bachman and the majority of the republicans out there are corporate shills, as almost all people in office are. Capitalism works off of incentives. Capitalism still needs regulation to make sure the incentives are inline with what is most productive while ensuring liberty. I am not advocating anarchy.

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
No, if you met me IRL you probably think I was a moran. I'm comfortable with that.

Somehow, though, you still let yourself get all uppity about some stupid comment by a moran on a web forum. Stupid is as stupid does.

Don't forget, I'm a voter too.

Being poor makes one an indentured servant which would be equal to a slave.

Americans are hard workers to begin with and have the least vacation times out of most nations. Sure lets take more away from the hard working americans that made america great! I sure wish I could take a vacation for 3 months and still be guaranteed I get my job back with same pay and same title and same benefits.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013

I'm not a rocket scientist either. But I have enough common sense and decency not to compare slavery to being poor. Its a huge insult to try and equate the two. Had you simply said you were wrong about the exaggeration then fine. What you did instead was double down and try to justify what you said.

Being poor and on government assistance can be humiliating, which is what I felt growing up while on it. I did not feel bad needing help, I felt bad because those around me looked down on my poverty. I would still take the humiliation I received and be glad with it, if the alternative was slavery.

The fact that people are so willing to compare the two is sicking. I did not have my family ripped apart by my master. I was not raped or abused. I was still able to get an education. I could go on and on about the vast differences.

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
Bachman and the majority of the republicans out there are corporate shills, as almost all people in office are. Capitalism works off of incentives. Capitalism still needs regulation to make sure the incentives are inline with what is most productive while ensuring liberty. I am not advocating anarchy.

If it ever does happen then I do hope America gets wiped off the map because then the American dream would truly be dead.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Being poor makes one an indentured servant which would be equal to a slave.

Americans are hard workers to begin with and have the least vacation times out of most nations. Sure lets take more away from the hard working americans that made america great! I sure wish I could take a vacation for 3 months and still be guaranteed I get my job back with same pay and same title and same benefits.

NO!

Jesus. You are knowledgeable to know about the term Indentured Servant, but not know what it means.

It means - a person who signs and is bound by indentures to work for another for a specified time especially in return for payment of travel expenses and maintenance.

You were willing to enter the contract. You effectively agreed to work off your debt for services. It would be like saying that someone who joins the US Army is a slave for 3 years. Its tough sure, but they are not slaves! Slaves had ZERO rights. People seem to have little understanding of what a slave is.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
I'm not a rocket scientist either. But I have enough common sense and decency not to compare slavery to being poor. Its a huge insult to try and equate the two. Had you simply said you were wrong about the exaggeration then fine. What you did instead was double down and try to justify what you said.

Being poor and on government assistance can be humiliating, which is what I felt growing up while on it. I did not feel bad needing help, I felt bad because those around me looked down on my poverty. I would still take the humiliation I received and be glad with it, if the alternative was slavery.

The fact that people are so willing to compare the two is sicking. I did not have my family ripped apart by my master. I was not raped or abused. I was still able to get an education. I could go on and on about the vast differences.

Congrats. :cookie: So we both know what being poor is like, yay.

You don't appreciate the comparison. So instead of just saying that, you type a bunch of stuff about how being poor isn't so bad. And champion Capitalism like it's your saving grace. If it wasn't for government intervention and assistance, Capitalism would bury poor people all day, every day.

And that nonsense about pay increase versus productivity. Yeesh, yea...that's how it should work....but it really doesn't.

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
I do not think this whole ordeal is that bad anyway. I watched a report on either frontline or PBS in regards to the economy and it was discussed that in USA it has always been a fight between the middle class and the 1% and it has always swayed back and forth between them winning and losing each ever since America was created.

This sort of put me at ease but the way the %1 is winning truly is horrible or more so hurtful more so that it has ever been.

Before I die I would like to see it again where just a man needs to work and the wife can stay home and take care of the house and the father pays for the kids tuition and buys their son and daughter their first car.

The average american really can not do that anymore. Which is why I think the American dream has been dead for quite a while now.

Last edited:

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
NO!

Jesus. You are knowledgeable to know about the term Indentured Servant, but not know what it means.

It means - a person who signs and is bound by indentures to work for another for a specified time especially in return for payment of travel expenses and maintenance.

You were willing to enter the contract. You effectively agreed to work off your debt for services. It would be like saying that someone who joins the US Army is a slave for 3 years. Its tough sure, but they are not slaves! Slaves had ZERO rights. People seem to have little understanding of what a slave is.

Todays meaning is you sign up under contract and the boss takes away your passport and makes you work long hours even on the weekends and only gives you one day off and to top that off you get beaten for it and must live in their basement.

We see the news each year in USA and in Hong Kong.

IT has happened twice to slave owners who were employees of the World Bank who would lock the people away in their house in Virginia or Maryland.

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014

You don't appreciate the comparison. So instead of just saying that, you type a bunch of stuff about how being poor isn't so bad. And champion Capitalism like it's your saving grace. If it wasn't for government intervention and assistance, Capitalism would bury poor people all day, every day.

And that nonsense about pay increase versus productivity. Yeesh, yea...that's how it should work....but it really doesn't.

I have met a few very poor trailer trash republicans.
It hurt my head hearing them talk.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013

No. I don't that you said I was saying that people wanting a 2 bedroom apartment means I think they want slaves, and the comparison.

Also, when did I say being poor is not bad? Its not AS bad as being a slave, but I never said it was bad or even okay.

You escalated drastically by saying I was saying poor people wanted slaves.

So wanting a 2 bedroom apartment means you want slaves. ok, cool.

I certainly wouldn't want slaves. But a place to live with 2 bedrooms. Imagine that.

That's shitty to not only me, but to people who had to live though slavery.

Capitalism is not some divine thing giving to us by the heavens. It just happens to be the best way to improve the world currently. It is not perfect, but that has a lot to do with shitty people, and not the system.

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Todays meaning is you sign up under contract and the boss takes away your passport and makes you work long hours even on the weekends and only gives you one day off and to top that off you get beaten for it and must live in their basement.

We see the news each year in USA and in Hong Kong.

IT has happened twice to slave owners who were employees of the World Bank who would lock the people away in their house in Virginia or Maryland.

What you just talked about, is a bait of Indentured servitude and swapped with slavery. Its also a breach of the contract. Either way, it was no longer Indentured servitude. Again, shitty people do shitty things. Being a poor person is not the same as being a slave.

Working a lot of hours, and even weekends does not make you a slave. Doing hard dirty work does not make you a slave. Being forced to do those things through coercion is different. Working at Burger King and not being able to buy a new car is far different than forced labor where you have zero freedom.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
No. I don't that you said I was saying that people wanting a 2 bedroom apartment means I think they want slaves, and the comparison.

You used the word servants, I used the word slaves.

Also, when did I say being poor is not bad? Its not AS bad as being a slave, but I never said it was bad or even okay.

You escalated drastically by saying I was saying poor people wanted slaves.

That's shitty to not only me, but to people who had to live though slavery.

Ohh boo hoo. Someone was shitty to you. :rolleyes: Such is life. As a poor person, I'm sure you were shit on regularly. That's how it works.

Capitalism is not some divine thing giving to us by the heavens. It just happens to be the best way to improve the world currently. It is not perfect, but that has a lot to do with shitty people, and not the system.

Again, your opinion. I agree with your very last sentence. For any system put in place, shitty people will ultimately ruin it. And those shitty people are likely running it, not living off the scraps that their handed for a productive days work.

Seriously, all this because people making chump change want for more?

realibrad

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Ohh boo hoo. Someone was shitty to you. :rolleyes: Such is life. As a poor person, I'm sure you were shit on regularly. That's how it works.

Again, your opinion. I agree with your very last sentence. For any system put in place, shitty people will ultimately ruin it. And those shitty people are likely running it, not living off the scraps that their handed for a productive days work.

Seriously, all this because people making chump change want for more?

You don't seem to be making a point I understand.

You said I was advocating slavery because I said the American Dream of wanting to own a house was not something people should strive for. I then said many poor people would wish to have servants cook clean ect. You then said I was saying people wanted slaves, and that I wanted slaves. The implication was also that slavery was the same as being being a servant. I was insulted yes, but I did not make a big deal out of it, and focused on the stupid ass idea that slavery was the same as being a servant and or poor. Now it seems you are trying to twist it like my feelings were hurt.

The shitty people do the most damage when they try and stop capitalism, which is what you see. Those in office want to create monopolies and or take from one group to benefit another group. That will cause long term problems, and is not capitalism.

My response was not about poor people wanting more. My response was equating them to being slaves. To say a poor person makes Chump change is to say 1 of 2 things. They are being exploited, which you have made no argument for, or they are not able to command a higher price. The 2nd one is quite insulting, so if you want to have an argument, then explain why the first is correct.

So, lets see if you will try and twist this again, and make it seem like the issue I have is with what you said to me, or with the substance of your argument and what you said about me.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Minimum wage workers have always been asking for a "living wage."

That being said, 2 bedrooms is pretty small. I could not imagine living in a smaller place due to claustrophobia.