Now minimal wagers want a hike big enuf to afford a 2 bedroom apartment

JEDI

Lifer
Sep 25, 2001
vahkphg8VuJyZlK8pKKK5JNbdL8d19-KM9kQpJQvJRX6h3oZDxoBdgLKUf8PQvjRIRhrT5EZrhCMYHzXkFOhHlENMP2PQNgciFujbtPfKWR1Cn0fQKin8m0AyUFsW64BfA

was the minimum wage intended to afford people a 2 bedroom apartment?

minimum wage = the next hammock (ballooning from safety net)

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
2 br apt in Silicon Valley is $2000 per month. For it to be "affordable" that should not be > 1/3 of your income. So you $72K per year is minimum wage in Silicon Valley. That's actually not too far from the truth :)

schmuckley

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2011
I think someone making minimum wage should be able to afford a 1-bedroom apt and pay electric/water and buy food for themselves.

Does that make me a bad man?

The cost of rent is just outrageous nowadays..what should be $450 is $7-850..I don't get that..meanwhile..there's tons of empty houses around.

PLUS..nobody seems to be caring to invest in a place of their own :eek:

What's going on? Tell me, pls.

When I was ..er..younger..
A wise man told me:"1 week's pay should pay your rent and 1/2 of next week's for bills/food"
Who makes $850 a week?
It was really like that back then..
Why is rent so high?

The price of everything has gone up yet what people make has remained the same..not even accounting for inflation.

Last edited:

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
2 br apt in Silicon Valley is $2000 per month. For it to be "affordable" that should not be > 1/3 of your income. So you $72K per year is minimum wage in Silicon Valley. That's actually not too far from the truth :)

Wait like in Moutainview or Sunnyvale? Are you sure you aren't referring to a 1 bedroom studio?

If you want to live a lower middle class lifestyle on minimum wage you are going to need to build a time machine and go back to the 50s or 60s.

Last edited:

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
I can remember when my friend's dad was able to buy a house on the salary of a bellman, you know, a guy that carries people's bags.
I think we need to seriously look at rent control. No reason lots of people need to live lives of desperation while one landlord parties it up.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
The price of everything has gone up yet what people make has remained the same..not even accounting for inflation.

It's called democracy. Sure back in the 50s and 60s when meat production was 6 times higher, durable goods production 5 times higher, and government spending was 20% of GDP. A minimum wage worker in this period would be called middle class today. But you can't vote to turn nearly half your economy to government bureaucrats to protect the environment from "evil capitalists" and ask for cradle to the grave welfare and expect your money to be worth as much as it was decades ago.

Last edited:

schmuckley

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2011
It's called democracy. Sure back in the 50s and 60s when meat production was 6 times higher, durable goods production 5 times higher, and government spending was 20% of GDP. A minimum wage worker in this period would be called middle class today. But you can't vote to turn nearly half your economy to government bureaucrats to protect the environment from "evil capitalists" and ask for cradle to the grave welfare and expect your money to be worth as much as it was decades ago.

+2 internets :D

PS: There's something funny going on with the meat nowadays.
I have a friend that does cattle..
He's getting less per head..
and yet the price of beef is going up :eek:
$5 per lb of hamburger?
and they're paying less for the cattle..What's up?

Last edited:

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
This type of thread reminds me of all those threads that lambasted every CEO for wanting more money! It seemed like every other week another CEO was asking for a raise and people just could stop posting about it!

I think it's ridiculous how people think that in a free market workers can demand more for their labor! What these idiots don't realize is that the market sets the price for labor, it's not the corporations fault that they are illegal immigrants who will do jobs American citizens do for much less, it's not corporations fault that they can get cheaper labor in other countries! What's next? Blaming corporations for paying their employees so little that they are able to take advantage of welfare programs? Please!

If Americans want to get paid more than they need to get degrees, once that happens you will see wages go up!

We just went through one of the worst recessions in our history what do people expect corporations to do? Spend money on their employees? Ha! They can't even do that if they wanted to, their savings is so slow right now that if the economy took another dump these corporations would most likely go out of business. Besides it's not like paying your employees more ever goes back into more people buying your goods and services! Hell! History tells us that! Just ask ford how increasing his employees pay worked out for him. He almost went bankrupt and had to sell his business to his competitors because his production dropped so much after the increase in pay! If it wasn't for the government bailing out ford, they probably wouldn't even exist today!

These stupid low wage workers need to be put in their place and treated like the slaves they are, them thinking they are worth more would be the nail in the coffin for capitalism! Could you imagine the chain reaction that would occur? People in the middle class would then start asking for raises! Asking for raises? Who the fuck does that?! You do your job and you get paid what you get paid and you keep your mouth shut! Don't like it? Well there's a billion people from India willing to do your job for less!

The nerve of some people!

/s

Bock

Mar 28, 2013
I think someone making minimum wage should be able to afford a 1-bedroom apt and pay electric/water and buy food for themselves.

Does that make me a bad man?

The cost of rent is just outrageous nowadays..what should be $450 is $7-850..I don't get that..meanwhile..there's tons of empty houses around.

PLUS..nobody seems to be caring to invest in a place of their own :eek:

What's going on? Tell me, pls.

When I was ..er..younger..
A wise man told me:"1 week's pay should pay your rent and 1/2 of next week's for bills/food"
Who makes $850 a week?
It was really like that back then..
Why is rent so high?

Income inequality has risen for the last 3 decades. It's damn near shocking how many people are working poor. What's even more disturbing is how "rich" rich people really are.

Stop busting your ass making someone else richer & start figuring out how to do it for yourself.

inachu

Platinum Member
Aug 22, 2014
Yeah you could point at min wagers but corporate greed takes away again and again and again and again.

So much is taken away that the only thing they have left is just for food and rent unable to save any money at all. Sure a few cheat use their welfare to buy their kids an xbox and a few others abuse the system like that one woman who had over 20 SSN numbers and owned a rolls royce and lived in a mansion but I think it was 60 minutes or 48 hours that investigated her and she was sent to jail. But for the most part making things worse for those already at the bottom to make those at the top feel great?

Jimzz

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2012

"citation needed"

full-planet-empty-plates-data-slideshow-11-638.jpg

2-8.jpg~original

Last edited:

Londo_Jowo

Lifer
Jan 31, 2010
londojowo.hypermart.net
Want to be able to afford a 2 bedroom apartment? Become a high tech rep.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wire...fort-boost-high-tech-training-hiring-29493139

President Barack Obama is focusing on high-tech jobs in his bid to make progress on stagnant wages in this country.
Obama has obtained commitments from more than 300 employers as well as local governments in 20 regions of the country to train and hire high technology workers in an effort to drive up higher-income employment.
According to the White House, the average salary for workers with high-tech skills is 50 percent higher than the average private-sector American job.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Right or wrong, there is no reason they can't ask for it. Doesn't mean anyone has to pay them anything more.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000

You're also forgetting there were 60 million less men in the global workforce due to World War 2 and most of the rest of the world apart from the U.S. was rubble. I'd daresay those two factors may have a tiny bit something to do with U.S. wage patterns in the 50s and 60s.

Spungo

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2012
What about the people that aren't working? What are they entitled to?
According to Karl Marx, they're entitled to fuck all.

From each according to their means, to each according to their needs.
Giving less than your means (not working even when you're physically capable of working) means you're not part of the deal.

Cozarkian

Golden Member
Feb 2, 2012
I think minimum wage should be enough to pay half of the rent + utilities for a 2 bedroom apartment + food, clothes and tuition at the local community college.

That way high school grads can get a minimum wage job, find a roommate to share an apartment, and attend a trade school or get an associates degree. By then, they will have either received wages or obtained skills to get a better job.

Newell Steamer

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2014
The poor are so stupid - they need to be making lots of money already, in order to get more money on top of it,.. like how corporations who make billions in profits are still getting hundreds of millions in subsidies.

moonbogg

Lifer
Jan 8, 2011
Jesus Christ people. Raising minimum wage will do NOTHING but raise rent prices and every other price. Think about this. If I owned an apartment building and had a bunch of poor people living there and suddenly minimum wage gets a 200% increase?! Guess what MY ASS is doing right away? Increasing rent costs every fucking chance I get, because I know those low life losers were making it somehow before, therefore I also know that they now have extra money, and why should they get to keep it? Fuck that and fuck them. That shit is mine. Why? Because I know they have it to give, this is capitalism, and I am a business man. Therefore, I will take their money because that's just what you do here.
I raise my rent a little, and my neighbors will raise their rent prices to match, and their neighbors will do the same. In 2 or 3 years rent will go up by 20% and it will keep climbing and climbing until those minimum wagers are right back where they started; poor and struggling just like before.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
You're also forgetting there were 60 million less men in the global workforce due to World War 2 and most of the rest of the world apart from the U.S. was rubble. I'd daresay those two factors may have a tiny bit something to do with U.S. wage patterns in the 50s and 60s.
The post war era gave the United States a short lived golden age of high prosperity. Then we were stupid enough to think we could always live like kings...